First 'Goonzilla' Attempt

I've been toying with the idea of modding 'Goonzilla' into the game (essentially a Volcano boss), and this is the first render I produced working on artwork and animations.

I'd be interested to know what you guys and gals think, and if you have any suggests :)

Please be considerate, I've never tried to replicate the (fantastic) Don't Starve style before

goonzilla_first.png.0a3ab104a755e2abc72a

Cool wait that's an insult isn't it Warm!

The head looks a bit weird, maybe make it "look" a bit farther towards the viewpoint? The body is pointing towards the lower right, but the head is pointing towards the right... (I guess you could just add a second eyebrow)

Also, I agree with @Lord_Battal, it should have a "hunt" pose, at least when walking/running.

If your coding is half as good as your drawing, you got this nailed.

9 hours ago, Lord_Battal said:

I honestly think it would look way better if the front legs were bent way more and the chest was closer to the ground.  Other than that, it's really good; you nailed the art style.

Hopefully it will look better with the completed idle animation. Imagine that the idle animation is basically the creature doing push-ups, and that the image shown is displaying the 'peak' of the push-up, with arms fully extended. When its at the bottom of the push-up, it should look similar to the pose that you described :)

1 hour ago, YumoS said:

looks really nice! i would make the legs more like dragoons. Muscular.

Do you mean the back legs? If so, I guess it's worth noting that Dragoons typically have hilariously stick thin legs :lol:

20160320234907_1.jpg.1403ea4c82f7c4833b2

I actually felt a little bad making them as thick as I did, but on a much larger version of the creature, the stick legs just looked so strange that I went for more Bearger style legs. I guess the Deerclops is the giant that reserves the right to have thin legs ;)

1 minute ago, voyager156 said:

There's something wrong with the picture you uploaded now:

"20160320234907_1.jpg.1403ea4c82f7c4833b2bb7c923f51939.jpg"

Hmm, that's strange. It shows up fine for me, but then again that might be just because I uploaded it.

Anyone else having trouble seeing the Dragoon reference image? I can try re-uploading it.

3 minutes ago, voyager156 said:

After I refresh a page few times it shows itself. But when I download it (to check what was wrong) it has 2 ".jpg" extensions :-?

Glad it showed up :) The first part was the file name directly from my Steam screenshots gallery, and I think the rest (including the second extension) may have been an artefact from resizing the image through the forum.

37 minutes ago, voyager156 said:

Seriously he looks great :-) My only suggestions are:

- make his hind paws bigger

- he should have a menacing eyes (now it looks as if he didn't had them at all)

While I certainly agree that both of those suggestions would make it look more foreboding, I didn't want to deviate from the original Dragoon design too much and decided to keep the somewhat measly looking legs and glowing white eye. If it helps, when he is attacking / being attacked, his eyes will narrow into a scowl similar to that of an angry Bearger, with slightly closed eyelids giving the eyes much more definition.

1 minute ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Since you're modding this in, any chance you'll mod some other stuff in? (I don't mean a whole underwater world or something though, of course)

For example a lava flow and a unique effect that comes from it? (Goonzila could even be related to that)

Yes, please :-)

2 hours ago, Daggaroth said:

Hopefully it will look better with the completed idle animation. Imagine that the idle animation is basically the creature doing push-ups, and that the image shown is displaying the 'peak' of the push-up, with arms fully extended. When its at the bottom of the push-up, it should look similar to the pose that you described :)

Do you mean the back legs? If so, I guess it's worth noting that Dragoons typically have hilariously stick thin legs :lol:

20160320234907_1.jpg.1403ea4c82f7c4833b2

I actually felt a little bad making them as thick as I did, but on a much larger version of the creature, the stick legs just looked so strange that I went for more Bearger style legs. I guess the Deerclops is the giant that reserves the right to have thin legs ;)

Never skip leg day, eh?

On a separate note, I freakin' love that boss! You could make some bowser references, so if you get it down to a certain amount of health it'll begin burning and turn into a skeleton Goonzilla.

1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

Never skip leg day, eh?

On a separate note, I freakin' love that boss! You could make some bowser references, so if you get it down to a certain amount of health it'll begin burning and turn into a skeleton Goonzilla.

More like Dragoons throw it into a cauldron when it's dead and it becomes Skelegoon. Js.

12 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

So when he dies he suddenly grows to massive size and just steps on you (just immagine that thing suddenly walking through the Water next to the Volcano VOLCANO SIZE)

Or it would flee back to the volcano like the tigershark does when at low health.

It would swim more slowly than the tigershark, so could be caught up with more easily and killed.

Then either:

a) the Goonzilla punches the volcano, causing a super severe eruption that is guaranteed to kill Goonzilla in the process (whilst laughing after punching it, a shadow forms underneath him. He looks up, screams and gets crushed), but will probably kill you too. 

b) it would swim, crying, to the volcano and summon it's drag-aunt (as someone else suggested), which would be a bigger version of the Goonzilla with different drops. The drag-aunt would immediately chase after you, and will go into mega rage mode if you attack the Goonzilla again (think dragonfly) and starts hitting you with her clutch bag.

The drag-aunt would have different drops to the Goonzilla, like 'slip gloss' or 'snail varnish' that slows enemies down that walk over it. Or maybe the clutch bag could increase movement speed and have small carrying capacity, but would only drop if she was killed in rage mode.

Wilson would say 'size doesn't matter when it looks this good!'.

Archived