And now, The Weather.

Thread for comments on Weather and Seasonal Effects.

I finally made it through to the Dry Season and gosh is it tough. I was smooshed by a falling rock, resurrected and then immediately smooshed by another, Bad luck I guess.

Also, I notice that when I got to the dry season pretty much all the plants and limpet rocks dried up immediately, which was something of a baptism by fire. I'd suggest that it could do with being a bit more gradual.

Flooding seems to be a bit of a bugbear with a lot of players and it's certainly proved difficult to deal with so far. Sandbags and flooring are expensive, and bad luck can mean losing all your bases to flooding. Maybe we need some kind of water pump machine (Fuelled like an ice flingomatic is) to deal with flooding at bases. (I've already suggested a bucket and towel over on this thread here.)

And now, The Weather.

1 hour ago, SapphireBullets said:

Also, I notice that when I got to the dry season pretty much all the plants and limpet rocks dried up immediately, which was something of a baptism by fire. I'd suggest that it could do with being a bit more gradual.

I think this must be a bug. I had only gone through two summers before the most recent update, but I'm pretty sure the withering was gradual and never affected 100% of the bushes. 

Now, after the update, ALL bushes become withered on day 1 of summer. All of them. They are standing in flood water from the previous season and are withered. A side effect of the limpet rock change perhaps?

Managed to get to Dry season again, but those eruptions are absolutely brutal.

Smooshed by a falling rock, resurrected at a touchstone and then overheated while looking for an unwithered sapling.

Couple of thoughts:

• Maybe a longer warning for falling rocks would be nice.
  • With all the volcanic ash kicked up, it'd be interesting if that actually produced a shading effect from the sun for the duration of the impaired invisibility.
  • Each time I've died during a volcanic eruption and resurrected at a touch stone, the eruption's still in full swing when it should probably have stopped by the next morning. Maybe this is a bug?
  • Monsoon season is still pretty difficult. Despite my best efforts both my bases flooded (One flooded despite both having wood floors and a full sandbag defence.
  • Since mosquito poison is so tough, maybe there should be a secondary way to delay the onset of poison or reduce the timing of the health losses. Perhaps some of the mushrooms could have useful effects if cooked/uncooked. Or maybe the Venom Gland itself could do that.
  • I'm hoping we'll be able to reduce flooding in the world settings.

And with that closing thought, I take you now to The Weather.

*rocks used to be even faster and with less visible shadows, it takes practice but you can dodge them, keep practicing.

*idk, could be cool?, but again , it would hinder boulder prediction wich would get you killed more often

*has happened to me and i do think a 2 ish day long eruption is a bit off, not on recent patches though (havent died that much)

*floors only prevent pudle SPAWNS, not flodding from distant/near puddles, and it has been noted that the BEST way to use the sandbags is to actually put them ON THE MIDDLE of the recently spawned flood puddles( last time i checked anyway). otherwise even if you have only one little hole on your sandbag wall, water can still progress through there normally

*it has been comon knowledge that getting a seashell AS EARLY as posibble (and even keeping it on you at all times for unforseen events) is the number 1 way of trivializing all things poisonous(venomous actually) exept stink rays, until you get one, run from all the yellow boi

*it would be a nice option yes 

1 hour ago, zuriumob said:

*floors only prevent pudle SPAWNS, not flodding from distant/near puddles, and it has been noted that the BEST way to use the sandbags is to actually put them ON THE MIDDLE of the recently spawned flood puddles( last time i checked anyway). otherwise even if you have only one little hole on your sandbag wall, water can still progress through there normally

Did that done that. Had wood floors with a wall of sandbags guarding the camp from flooding.

Attached some screens. Looks like that puddle on the right (in summer) was the puddle inside my camp in spring.

2016-02-12_00002.jpg

2016-02-12_00007.jpg

And now, The Weather.

i tought that bug was fixed, still , as i said before you should just drop ONE sandbag on the MIDDLE of that cross formation and it shouldnt spread and avoid that (really unlogical) bug. otherwise, no amount of wooden floors or snake rugs will stop the spread of "out of floor" puddles.

but seriously i thought i had seen, people complain about this functionality flaw of sandbags, and reading a patch note about it a while later, weird.

On 07/02/2016 at 9:47 PM, SapphireBullets said:

Thread for comments on Weather and Seasonal Effects.

I finally made it through to the Dry Season and gosh is it tough. I was smooshed by a falling rock, resurrected and then immediately smooshed by another, Bad luck I guess.

Flooding seems to be a bit of a bugbear with a lot of players and it's certainly proved difficult to deal with so far. Sandbags and flooring are expensive, and bad luck can mean losing all your bases to flooding. Maybe we need some kind of water pump machine (Fuelled like an ice flingomatic is) to deal with flooding at bases. (I've already suggested a bucket and towel over on this thread here.)

And now, The Weather.

You get an upvote just for the title. These and more than these, please.

On 2/7/2016 at 6:37 PM, YsaNoire said:

I think this must be a bug. I had only gone through two summers before the most recent update, but I'm pretty sure the withering was gradual and never affected 100% of the bushes. 

From the files it looks pretty intended. They set the threshold for starting to wither very low, and set the threshold for regenerating super high, and then have both check for the season. This might sound a little confusing as a description, but it's pretty clearly set up to have plants wither and regenerate on season boundaries. Pushing the withering thresholds up a bit higher should make it so that things wither somewhat more gradually partway through the season, but still regenerate pretty much immediately after it ends. That would be nice, I think. The current system really gives you no way to salvage your situation if you weren't specifically prepared for it (punishing, which is good, but usually even punishing mechanics have some way you can mitigate them).

Hmm, well, then idk. I kinda imagined the limpet rocks were meant to wither immediately (like the rabbit holes do in spring - bam, closed), but not all the plants. I can deal with it, it was a shock when it happened for the first time though.

If they're going to make withering that fast then I wish they'd make the ice fling-o-matics resistant to flooding. I lost my entire dragon fruit supply because they were all withered and my ice fling-o-matic, which would have prevented this from happening, was flooded for 3 or 4 days.

To be quite honest, I kinda hate the "volcano season".

Its irrational. No world can survive if being constantly bombarded. It's just gonna end up with a moon-like landscape, full of craters and no life.

Yup, the bombardments happen only in the vicinity of the player. So it seems like that "volcano" is specifically hating and targeting the only human being in the world.

Irrational. As if the volcano is sentient ..

Either let the stuff re-grow after the volcano season ends (damaging player's buildings is okay). Possibly during the "rainy' season.

Or give some reason why the volcano is so specifically hostile to the whole environment..

Otherwise its ridiculous.

On 2/13/2016 at 0:29 PM, SapphireBullets said:

Did that done that. Had wood floors with a wall of sandbags guarding the camp from flooding.

Attached some screens. Looks like that puddle on the right (in summer) was the puddle inside my camp in spring.

2016-02-12_00002.jpg

2016-02-12_00007.jpg

And now, The Weather.

Floods should not penetrate sandbags that are lined up like this, a fix for this bug is being tested and should roll out with the next update. Sorry about that :(

Just played through Monsoon season and didn't see any flooding at all. How odd.

Have first-year floods been removed in the latest update?

Also, the very start of dry season seems to be a little less harsh in terms of overheating. I do have a dumbrella I snagged from a treasure chest, but I spent the first day digging up a load of magma piles and getting singed on the Krissures but didn't start overheating at all.

Weather's gotten a little tamer with this, which maybe isn't a bad thing, but I did get a lot of sandbags built well in advance of monsoon season this time.

While I wait and see what horrors dry season has in store, you will now get to see what's in store for you, with The Weather.

2 hours ago, SapphireBullets said:

Just played through Monsoon season and didn't see any flooding at all. How odd.

Have first-year floods been removed in the latest update?

No, that is very strange. I encountered plenty of flooding my first season. I did notice that poison mosquitoes didn't start spawning until about halfway through the season, though

I had floods on their regular time (but this game was started before the second hotfix that fixes all 20 day seasons, so something may have been broken). Mosquitos may have been less numerous, can't really tell this time because I went a bit overboard with crafted turf.

Just had a very dicey bit where there was a volcanic eruption at night and I only had a boat lantern to see by. Ended up getting smooshed by a falling rock just as I reached dry land.

Maybe, as a suggestion, the volcanic eruption could light the map with a dark reddish hue at night so players can at least see where they're going for the duration of the eruption.

Then again, maybe I should have been a bit better prepared. Either way, Dry Season is still frickin' brutal.

And now, The Weather.

Archived