Lagging Gets Worse And Worse

I don't usually hang around on the forums, so apologies if this has been covered ad nauseam.  :joyous:

The lagging in SW is making the game unplayable. I've got a fairly high-end computer (I play Witcher 3 on high graphics settings), so I'm not sure why it's having so much trouble with SW.

The longer I survive, the worse the lagging gets. It seems to be particularly bad on my current map; I wonder if it's because I've paid more attention to extensive exploration this time around. It doesn't seem to matter what's going on- I've got constant lag. Of course, the lagging gets worse during weather events, ape riots, snake-filled nights, etc. 

I've had lagging problems in the past with DST, but that's only because Aussie internet sucks.  :friendly_wink:

Is Klei known to be working on this problem?

Thanks guys! Don't starve!

i dont own a fancy pc but i never had isssues with don't starve since shipwrecked. i also get constant framedrops and laggs that i cant play. i have to restart every 5 minutes. i dont want to play anymore because of this. Hope they will fix it soon.

Is anyone else still dealing with the Shipwrecked lagging? I just started playing this version and it's totally unplayable. Once the monkeys arrive, I can't do anything. If I can get off the island, it's better, but still very jumpy. It's actually making me sea sick just watching it.  :frown-new:

Having the same issue, my game is locked at 30 FPS now and its unplayable, especially when you are trying to kite mobs. My refresh rate is 144, I don't have small textures enabled and its full screen. It used to run at much higher frame rates consistently, now it refuses to rectify itself even on restart.

Please Klei this this issue! It's driving me insane, I just wanna play your beautiful game.

DS is a deceptively demanding game. People assume, that because it lacks high graphic quality, it is less demanding on their computers. What DS lacks in fancy realistic graphics it makes up for in how alive the world is. There are so many objects with so many different values constantly 'living' even out of your 'in game view'. It sounds like it is a RAM issue or perhaps even a processor that can't handle all the activity. It could also be a hard drive that is outdated and is recalling information as fast as it can (which isn't fast enough). your best shot is to troubleshoot those three things and see which needs an upgrade the most. 

best of luck to you! :)

22 hours ago, bdiz4shiz said:

DS is a deceptively demanding game. People assume, that because it lacks high graphic quality, it is less demanding on their computers. What DS lacks in fancy realistic graphics it makes up for in how alive the world is. There are so many objects with so many different values constantly 'living' even out of your 'in game view'. It sounds like it is a RAM issue or perhaps even a processor that can't handle all the activity. It could also be a hard drive that is outdated and is recalling information as fast as it can (which isn't fast enough). your best shot is to troubleshoot those three things and see which needs an upgrade the most. 

best of luck to you! :)

I'm gonna say it's either the processor or the RAM. I recently installed Don't Starve onto my SSD and it's no faster (excluding load times) than it was on the hard drive.

It might be the game itself rather than the system it's played on. It probably has the same problem as Minecraft (one of the most poorly optimised games since update 1.5 I've ever played), where the large number of things happening at once means that the game never has enough available RAM to keep itself running properly.

Perhaps Klei could run a few tests and figure out which part of the game that causes so much lag? Is it weather effects, items across the map, animations? Grab a sh*tty laptop in your office and do some testing :D

(My computer is ridiculously high-end so I've never experienced lagg, neither can I test it o: )

Temporary "system-requirements-chart" yes yes?

3 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

For me the game lags hard but only if I have something big open as well.

For instance a google doc that somehow if it's closed doesn't make the game lag, but if its open, does. 

I can play DST with a huge world and 4 players (if I am the host) without lag, even with my mod Character Guts and with normal textures. (no small texture)

1. In Shipwrecked Calm Season runs pretty good with a standard DS Character and it runs even decent with my mod Character Guts (the AI of his Elf seems to cause some lag) I don't use other mods.

2. Hurricane Season starts to lag incredibley hard, the rain, hail, big waves and strong wind seems to be the reason for that, I have to set my game on small textures then or it gets unplayable. It is even worse with my mod Character.

3. Monsoon Season runs very good at start, but gets more and more laggy when it rains, more puddles spawn and more mosquitos spawn.

It lags the most of all seasons when many big puddles are near. (it didn't laged as much when I set the puddles and mosquitos to less, but then is Monsoon season very boring and almost the same as Calm season)

It is also less lag, when I put sandbags very early on the puddles, so that they can't expand, but I don't do that anymore, I build a sandbag wall around my base and let the puddles flood my island, in my opinion that is more fun and the intended way to play that season.

The game lags even more if I am using Guts, but I even have to restart every 5-10 minutes if I play with Wilson or the lag is unbarable. (of corse with small textures enabled)

4. Dry Season runs very good at the start, even with normal textures and my Guts mod, the framerate dropes a bit when the Dragoon Eggs fall, but it isn't that bad.

My Verdict: rain, strong wind, puddles and maybe hail seem to be the biggest problem.

It also lags when many Snakes spawn from there spawners at night, many monkeys are on the screen, etc.

I adjusted my playstyle for lag, I never make berry bush, sappling, gras farms, I only have a small base: Alchemy Engine, Crockpot, 3-9 Chests, Ligthning Rod, Chimnea, Bird Cage, 2 improved Farms and 4 wooden floorings.

I chop all trees 2 screens around my base down, dig all gras, bamboo, sappling, vines, etc. up (also in 2 screens) and I destroy all snake and monkey spawners on my base island and I put my spiders as far away as possible. All those thing make a big difference, but rain, wind, hail and puddles let it lag again.

Just wanted to add to this topic, I'm having the same issues with lag where it is essentially killing me and my ability to play. Seems worse with many mobs in particular and weather effects.  My system is good enough to handle most games and I just upgraded my Ram to see if it would help and nothing.  Please look into this.  Ill post my system stats if this helps at all.

Thank you

processor amd fx 8350 eight core 4ghz

ram 16gb

video geforce gtx 660

I wanted to add..I run a pretty average machine and I've discovered that the lags are NOT connected to how many things there are on the screen or in the world and more connected to something outside of the view of the players...for example my game did slow down but only like missing frame rates when I got on an island full of apes with 0 sanity and rain otherwise even on day 1 to over 100 lags take place randomly and happen in a very weird way, like sudden pause in the game or something, also DST is completely lacking in the lags now and feels extremely smooth to play,

one more thing are we gonna get the ability to pick things and use tools while something is grabbed with the cursor and many other bug like fixes that are in DST?

HeilerderWelten might have another point too, as if I remember correctly, all the times my game crashed when I entered/exited the volcano, some weather effect was starting. My latest was in hurricane season, where strong winds and rain just started as I climbed the volcano. 

Archived