Not having to restart

I think when you die that when u start again u should be able to collect the stuff of who u were before and live and whatever like the person u were before u died. So u don't have to completely restart. But it won't last forever I think u should have to collect ur stuff or things or pick up where u left off (other than the days) 12 hours or so so it won't last forever so it is more fair and not cheating!!!! Also i think people should have an option for easy mode (chicken (me)) or Classic (man (not me))! Thx anybody who was honest with me!

Edited by Cheesehead2

First of all welcome :)

Personally I am against this idea.Once you die it should be over entirely,you are gone and all your belongings are gone aswell.If you could just pick them up you would never have a true new beginning,and it would matters less(but still matter a lot) that you die while having some valuable items on you,since you could hurry and pick them up again.Besides you could potentially exploit this by for example gathering rare resources and stuff like dug up plants,so you could add more to your world than your maximum would be.For example,dig up all your berry bushes,then kill yourself close to where you started,and there you go you got twice the amount of berry bushes than would normally spawn on your world.Also,this:

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game

I hope I don't sound rude,just expressing my thoughts on your idea.

thx for being so honest also what they could do is have an option do you want to be able to collect ur stuff. the only way i came up with this was i had both science machines and i got very far and it all got taken away also i am a noob at survival games but i really like playing them. so like an option being a chicken or a man. that would b awesome! Again thx for being honest!!!

Perhaps instead of finding all of your awesome loot, you just have remains of your base if you reload your world as if it were attacked by hounds or raided by pigs while you were away, all the goodies being gone completely, chests broken, machines broken, farm plots pretty much destroyed, and anything you moved there being plant life would once again be in need of fertilizing.

In order to recover the materials from building the chests and such you would need a hammer to dismantle it all and start over.

I AM ALL FOR THIS IDEA!

It's not fair if you want to play the game, and paid money for it, and now it's too damn hard to play. It's bullshit! I'm sick of dying and why the hell am I playing this game, working so hard to save up supplies, then I get stuck in a tree and the hounds get me at the most inopportune moment, and then months worth of play (in the game) are wasted and disappear like THAT.

I HAD PLANS. It's ******* annoying.

I AM ALL FOR THIS IDEA!

It's not fair if you want to play the game, and paid money for it, and now it's too damn hard to play. It's bullshit! I'm sick of dying and why the hell am I playing this game, working so hard to save up supplies, then I get stuck in a tree and the hounds get me at the most inopportune moment, and then months worth of play (in the game) are wasted and disappear like THAT.

That is the way the game is ment to be played. You can become a "save-scum" if you are not MAN enough to handle it.

I AM ALL FOR THIS IDEA!

It is an uncompromising survival game after all.It is made clear on the website and on Steam,also that it is in beta and more stuff get's added aswell.I state the latter because more stuff will be added that make the game difficult.I knew this when I bought DS,and is one of the reasons I bought the game.Yeah an easy mode would be nice for certain people,but even if the devs add an easier mode of the actual game,it doesn't fit in imo,since you should not be able to survive endlessly with 0 to no effort(which at this point in development is already quite possible)...

I hope it will be things like "krampus instantly appears when being naughty" and "everything is hostile towards you" :p

im hoping for alot stuff that makes game harder and/or easier.

krampus instantspawn? if hes still in the state hes now it would only make the game easier :p krampus-farming!

developers hinted at "unbalanced" modes once you play through the yet unimplemented Storymode.

Oh! Well there's our answer!

You know, there should be an in-game menu to choose the next character should you die. A menu/over-lay to choose the next character you want to condemn ;P and the way to get back to the main menu or generate a new map.

An intriguing thought. Having access to the tent *does* beg a question along those lines, doesn't it?

An intriguing thought. Having access to the tent *does* beg a question along those lines, doesn't it?

IMHO, the tent is broken. It should work like the bed roll, plus (as suggested by another player) allow you to tally your XP to see whether you've unlocked any new characters. If you have, great, you can either keep playing or start a new game with the new character. The fact that you can right now play as Wilson, create Meat Effigies, then switch to another character and still benefit from those Meat Effigies... that seems... bleh.

Not having to restart...

Partially, I like the idea, especially when I've gone past the 100 Day mark, its quite frustrating on that part to survive another 100 and beyond that to 1-up my prior survival days. But that is the only reason I'd like to not have to restart, its a pain in the backside. The other things like recollecting food items and weaponry isn't too difficult in my opinion

However, to think about it, the point is survival, and if you die, game over basically.

When you think about it, meat effigies, and amulets are in a sense, the way to continue after death without having to restart all over again. When I use a meat effigy, I kind of think of it as a "continue" so-to speak, as well goes saying such with amulets.

I don't see why people play this game if they are constantly going to cheat. if you die , your dead , you shouldn't have the option to just load up a backup and go back to where you eventually were , its just stupid how people can still have fun , the challenge of dying shouldn't be a threat because if they die , ah well , they can just load it back up and try again with better results. You shouldn't be able to save a world and just continuing a life. I think people who do that don't honestly have to try. they can do something stupid , and just load the world back up and not make the same mistake again.

I'm not exactly a big fan of cheating either, TylerTheDragon, but if people are shown a way to skip the restart process, some will do it because they don't want to re-do everything they did previously. Its a quick lazy way to pretend you didn't fail, but we all know you fail twice as hard if you lack patience to do better next time rather than some boring rollback of sorts.

To me, to add to what I've experienced, restarting wise, is somewhat a learning process. Recall how you died. What can you do next time to prevent that same death from happening again? Restarting; yes it bites majorly to have to restart, but at the same time, if you restart you get a small chance to do things a little bit differently, figure and adjust some priorities, maybe put more time into collecting things for an amulet, or perhaps build better defenses with making more log suits to be better prepared? Perhaps the next time, things get done quicker than before? It happened to me, when I died, I managed to get my old winter hat, spider hat, and other things made a few weeks quicker than before.