Charlie has been sighted!

That was fast! Awesome. Now I wonder if that attack animation was actually in game before, or whether they put it in because of Woodie's abilities. Hmm.

It was definitely not in the game before. Every once in a while the game's lighting bugs out and you can see during the night if you look VERY closely.

It was definitely not in the game before. Every once in a while the game's lighting bugs out and you can see during the night if you look VERY closely.

Not to mention there was a bug at one point where if you left a light source just as it switched from night to day you could get attacked by Charlie in broad daylight. No attack animation.

I could have sworn I saw that animation before in the anim files... I was making my profile background with the shadow watcher and I came across an animation I haven't seen before but felt oddly familiar... I then dismissed as the chest-trap animation... it didn't look like it... but still similar...

So that's what that animation was for...

(I knew I should have used it for proof O__O)

Or it could have been my terrible memory...

Now, I get befuddled sometimes when handling large amounts of lore, especially lore as vague as the DS lore (at least it isn't as convoluted as BoI lore... but I digress), but we could be misrepresenting the game's story. Specifically, the part of the story relating to "Them" and Charlie.

Now, just as a recap of the William Carter puzzles, we find out that William (...or rather Maxwell, at this point) has obtained the Codex Umbra and is aware of the shadow creatures and refers to the creatures as "Them". Or does he? Does he refer to all shadows, in general, as "Them" OR is their a particular subset of the creatures that are above the rest, sort of like the most revered in a hierarchy. Then again, it is unclear the structure of shadow creature "society" for lack of a better term (perhaps a collective or hive mind aspect). Regardless, it become plain and clear that "Them" are in charge and a force to be reckon with. Already we have evidence that the shadow creatures have interacted with intelligent beings before. And from this interaction we learn that the shadows do NOT like to be controlled. Once, in the world of DS, a super advance civilization thrived off of the shadow creatures, nightmare fuel, and magic. But one cannot control the shadows for long, as the, directly or indirectly, caused the destruction of the entire civilization 

So, what we know is that shadow creatures are powerful and they do not like to be controlled. Yet, William does just this. He uses the Codex to learn about, manipulate, darn near enslave these shadows that were greater than him. For cheap parlor tricks no less! We can even see the extent of his manipulation on the walls of his room (in two of the last William carter puzzles). The scrawl and ramblings of a mad man etched in the walls of the deranged, you could see the toll that it took on ol' Maxy. Max was definitely learning about how to use these shadows. But the scary part is... they were also learning about Max. On the wall, Charlie's name is scrawled several times over, and it would be strange for Maxwell to write the name Charlie along with incantations and dark wisdom... unless it wasn't exactly of his own volition. Considering how sanity works in the world of DS (and this may be a bit of a leap), we can assume as you loose sanity, the shadows gain a better grip on you, at first mentally, then physically, moving from something that is intangible to something able to rend you into pieces. Additionally, in order to use the Codex Umbra, one must loose sanity to manipulate shadows. So it could be thought that accessing the shadows is a two way street, as the shadows also access you!

Now what does this have to do poor old Charlie, the subject of the thread. If the shadows can access people as well, it could be said that the shadows learned of Charlie from Maxwell as well as how important she was too Maxwell (we can see Charlie's importance to Maxwell in many of the puzzles). So, if you were "Them", who hated to be manipulated and controlled, more than anything, how could you get back at the manipulator, how could you channel your hatred? Take the thing the your enslaver cared about most. Take Charlie. And that's just what "Them" did. During Maxwell greatest performance yet, the shadows acted by pulling Charlie into the world of DS,  corrupting her, manipulating her, enslaving her! After all, if the shadows could access a person's mind, why couldn't they access the entire person, changing them into something... unnatural. Thus, the Grue (aka Charlie) came to be. A twisted creature created of the anger and rage of "Them"! But what of ol' Maxy? He was pulled in as well, why wasn't he changed? It could be said that Maxwell was experience enough with the shadows to prevent himself from being changed by the shadows (seen by his unusually high sanity gain). Or, perhaps, the shadows left him human, left him aware, so that he would, not only be trapped on "Them's" stage like Maxwell trapped "Them", but also be tortured by what he let become of his assistant, his friend, the person who was so important to him. Max must now deal with the fact that he let such an important person in his life suffer such a horrible fate (cruel, isn't it?).

But what does this say about Charlie and her... interactions with our heroes? As stated, the shadows do not enjoy being controlled. The shadows did not like it when the ancients tried to control "Them" and the shadows did not like it when Maxwell tried to control "Them". Now here comes another human (or product of a human), a gentleman scientist, a child arsonist, a strong man, a librarian, one half of a whole, a machine from the mind of man, a warrior, a lumberjack, a product of fear and bravery, and a mime, all trouncing about on the stage that "Them" rules. After the first interaction with a human, how could "Them" trust another! It could be assumed that their revenge would not stop at Maxwell, yet extent to all of his kind (and products of his kind). Even more so considering the ol' Maxy had a hand in bringing them all to the stage of DS. So... how could "Them" also punish these... playthings? They could try to take them on themselves (considering what occurs at low sanity in the world of DS). But considering that the Ancients used nightmare fuel to fuel their civilization, possible taken directly from the shadow themselves, it may not be the best idea. But perhaps then, use a tool, shaped, manipulated, and enslaved, for the devices of "Them". That's right, Charlie. Charlie is a product of the rage and anger of "Them", so why not direct that anger to their new playthings. Thusly, Charlie's nightly hunt could be the child of rage and revenge from the creatures that created her, to punish Maxwell and all of his kind. A warning against trying to control what they can't. "Them" are in control, "Them" calls the shots, and "Them" are putting on a show, whether you want to be in it or not.

But that's my take on the why Charlie hunts the player, maybe of not of her own volition, or maybe of a deranged mind, either way the shadows are the one pulling the strings on the hunt and on the entire world of Don't Starve.

Once upon a time there was a wall of text so long that the entire website was about to collapse in a violent explosion and I had to cut it down to a single very long sentence that implies all the essential lore factors it suggested but I was too lazy to do so and now here we are reading through a stupid pointless sentence that is not meant to be read anyways [...]

Remember when SemiAnualDisaster made the riddle author cry? You made the lore master cry.

Charlie's fan theories run deeper than the entire story of FNAF's

Eh, not really. FNAF's Theories all were pretty deep.

Don't Starve's Theories (and Fan Theories) take a good brain to solve.

If you looked back at all the puzzle's DS and DST had, you would see how much work people put in.

Heck, Shipwrecked was pretty involved, too, but it got jinxed.

Archived