How to survive Summer without Endothermic fires

Yes, I literally mean it; just use normal fires to survive summer. And you can stand as close to them as you want for as long you want.

Ok, that sentence will make sense once you've read these steps...

Step 1: Take the advantage of your Spring's fast growing crop time to grow a bunch of watermelons. Yes, not dragonfruits; watermelons.

Step 2: Kill some pigs and/or hammer some Pig heads for pig skin as well as capture some birds with bird cage to get crimson feathers. You'll need a Summer frest for this.

Step 3: Well... Just wait out till Summer! Before Summer comes you'll need to craft a Summer Frest, and once Summer arrives, craft a Fassion melon. Use them both and you're good to go!

Now why this method and how this works?

Simple; the Fassion melon's wetness meter caps at 33, which is just before you get wet, so you won't have to worry about wetness, and the Summer Frest (you can then in Summer make a Floral Shirt if you want and use that instead) cancels out, or even better; outranks the insanity aura of the Fassion melon. So now you're not only all wet and not losing any sanity; you're staying cool. Both literally and not. Since Fassion melon then keeps you cool from ever overheating, well, you won't need to use endothermic fires anymore necessarily; simply make normal fire, stand as close as you want and as long as you want near that boiling hot campfire; you won't overheat!

I'm kind of surprised that people did not find out about this Fassion melon and a sanity aura vest trick. Ice cube on the other hand is still something I'm skeptical of and whether it can still be very useful during Summer at its current mechanic state. While you're at 33 wetness, you will however craft stuff that's wet, so if you want to make a spear, it'll take time to get dry. You can simply wait, or, whilst wearing the Fassion melon and a Summer frest or something, make a campfire, will get rid of the wetness as you stand next to it even whilst you're wearing the Fassion melon.

So, go out there, inform everybody, make those damn Fassion melons for being fabulous and cool. And whilst it's still Spring, grow some melons (no inuendo intended).

Or, instead of wasting my time with growing watermelons, I could mine some nitre and use endothermic fires instead, while still keeping those juicy dragonfruits.

Or, when you need to cook stuff you don't have to make both campfires when outside your base to keep you cool whilst you cook food.

I think both methods of surviving summer are round about equally useful, however, I think the one I just announced seems more useful for newbies and they don't have to learn some sci-fi stuff about an impossible cold fire.

@XirmiX, This would take longer than using Endo fires. Also you can just use a Floral Shirt and a Whirly Fan instead of going through all that effort to farm melon.

For me, the method is very useful as I hate to make an endothermic campfire whilst trying to get from point to point. Eyebrella is useful, though if I'm on a big journey the endothermic fire making is gonna get into the way, so to save time and effort, I just get a Fassoon melon, may be take some more watermelons to make more later and off I go onto a journey during summer without needing to stop to stand under a tree or near an endothermic campfire. So, really why wouldn't you want to take this method? Making more farms isn't that hard even in mid-game!

Hopefully more people will adapt this method and Fassion melon will be used more commonly.

Or, instead of wasting my time with growing watermelons, I could mine some nitre and use endothermic fires instead, while still keeping those juicy dragonfruits.

Why do that when you have a more complicated and time-consuming process right at your fingertips!?

Why do that when you have a more complicated and time-consuming process right at your fingertips!?

Didn't you know? This is Don't Starve EXTREME edition! Next up, we'll teach you how to use the Ancient Guardian to kill a single rabbit in just 9 easy steps!

Didn't you know? This is Don't Starve EXTREME edition! Next up, we'll teach you how to use the Ancient Guardian to kill a single rabbit in just 9 easy steps!

That might actually be possible with the extended world gen mod :p

Step 1: gather grass and twigs

Step 2: locate rabbit hole

Step 3: Make trap

Step 4: place trap

Step 5: collect rabbit

Step 6: go into ruins

Step 7: locate ancient guardian

Step 8: drop rabbit

Step 9: kite charging guardian into helpless rabbit

If there was a step 10 it would be: profit. But you just HAD to say NINE steps DIDN'T you?!? Now no one gets to profit!!!

... I hope you're happy.

Well, considering that the game needs a little more diversity in terms of farming, why not to farm watermelons? Also I play as Wigfrid so the few dragonfruits I grow serve no purpose to me other than a filler, unless a friend plays on my server with a different character. Besides, why would it be time wasting to farm crops that much at all? If you conatantly fertilise your crops, that won't take that long, and I in the game don't even have to fertilise my farma in Spring as before I can even think about harvesting them, bam, the crops have already grown!

Also, hmm, if you do the same time-spending thing with Dragonfruits, then how would that be time wasting? For summer, it would be time SAVING because you don't necessarily have to stop every so often for a minute or so to cool down with an endothermic fire.

Btw, considering that in order to get ready for summer the other way you need to collect a lot of nitre, and possibly a some more rocks and gold, I don't see how my method is any more time consuming than the first one.

So, all in all; time consuming my ass >:[

You can survive a whole summer without endothermetic fires using thermal stone (maybe two to frieze one at night) and fridge.

I know. I was actually meaning to name this topic "Fassion melon is actually useful!" but then changed my mind. So really this is about how Fassion melon can still be very useful.

I know. I was actually meaning to name this topic "Fassion melon is actually useful!" but then changed my mind. So really this is about how Fassion melon can still be very useful.

I agree, fashion melon can be useful. Plus thermal stones would heat up with a normal fire. I don't know if I could swing that before my first summer if I started in spring but it's still a good method. Whether it's the easiest is irrelevant. Point is it's still viable.

I don't like the endothermic fires neither, is a waste of nitre, I always use 2 thermal stones, I take 1 to explore and bring food and I put the other one in the icebox, when the stone is hot I change the stones, the eye thing hat (I don't remember the name) is pretty useful too. I think the endothermic fires are for emergency, if you are in a desert with no trees for example

is a waste of nitre

Nitre is used for 4 things. And TWO of those are Endo Fires. Not many people make that many Morning Stars so the only other thing is Gunpowder, and this might just be me, but I always have chests upon chests full of both Nitre and Gunpowder. So I don't really think it's possible to "waste" Nitre, it's everywhere. 

I like this playstyle. I don't really like the idea of not having a backpack, but this seems like an interesting perspective on the "Fassion Melon". I still think it needs a buff or a rework, though. I also really like the idea of farming melons to add some variety late game(although it could use some extra incentive). It would also require some previously collected ice as well, as I doubt watermelons would last through the entire summer, and you'd need a flingomatic.

Also, this strat helps me avoid the boring Backwards Fire pit and helps makes exploration more feasible. 

the Fassion melon's wetness meter caps at 33, which is just before you get wet, so you won't have to worry about wetness
that is until those darn 1min late night rain attacks you just for the lolz.

Ice cube on the other hand is still something I'm skeptical of and whether it can still be very useful during Summer at its current mechanic state.
Indeed.

This is Don't Starve EXTREME edition!
DS: Prepare to Perma-die Edition.

But you just HAD to say NINE steps DIDN'T you?!?
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, 9 Steps.

Make the world cater to you, not the other way around. That's how you play this game.
 @XirmiX, Now, do you understand why this guy always gets likes?

Whirly Fan
Oh, so that is what the Fan does? Ai Leik Eet.

Sounds like it's better for a summer of exploring. If you're not doing much exploring, I don't see why you wouldn't use Endo Fires.

Make the world cater to you, not the other way around. That's how you play this game.

If I want to stay mobile during summer I bring along Snow Chester. I can even bring along 15 bacon and eggs thanks to Chester's chilling effect to ensure i have enough food for the entire summer.

Nitre is used for 4 things. And TWO of those are Endo Fires. Not many people make that many Morning Stars so the only other thing is Gunpowder, and this might just be me, but I always have chests upon chests full of both Nitre and Gunpowder. So I don't really think it's possible to "waste" Nitre, it's everywhere.

You can also use it for fuel for flingomatics at a fairly high return rate. IIRC anyways.

aren't they just the opposite of efficiency? 

I think the term is fashion over functionality...

They are efficient in because they cool you down quite effectively... but they are kinda harder to get than endothermic camp fire/fire pits...

I'm getting confused... what is our definition of "efficient" here? easily obtained or it's performance? O__O

Archived