Not sure if this deserves a topic but I'm still hyped by all Willow's changes so I can barely refrain myself. I think I found a new set piece especially designed for her, you'll judge after seeing the picture. Did anyone found it before the recent changes or even in the solo ?

Besides, the password for klei' stream server yesterday was burning beard if I remember correctly, it could be linked.

Bonus : I think we broke the record as I saw someone asking about base's location on day 1 after only 2 minutes.

CJvIA2u.jpgbiJkiXI.jpg

I wonder who the wizard was...

Didn't they say were gonna add a wizard character to the game or am I just thinking of something else also probably was maxwell or wickerbottom.

Edit : By the way i remember seeing this in single player don't starve so no it's not new unfortunately just really rare to find it. :c 

That set piece isn't in the wiki! But I've seen it before. You know, they should focus more on having some more stuff to make out of blue gems or have more ice staff set pieces, because, well:

Set pieces with an ice staff:

* Blue hound trap

Set pieces with a fire staff:

* Red hound trap

* Beefalo fort of wooden walls

* Fire wizard set piece

Craftables for blue gems:

* Chilled amulet

* Ice staff

* Purple gem

Craftables for red gems:

* Life giving amulet

* Fire staff

* Night light

* Purple gem

1:3 and 3:4; wow, just wow. Btw, I think that ice staff should be buffed so that it requires also 2 nightmare fuel to make, needs shadow manipulator to make and would freeze any mob with one shot. That way it's as useful as firestaff and doesn't take more sanity than when using fire staff (cause say lighting a deerclops on fire by fire staff takes one shot while ice staff takes like 4 shots, and by doing math you lose 5 sanity from using firestaff and a whooping 20 sanity from using ice staff). It qould be also better if those two staffs had some more durability, so say like 50 uses instead of 20 or something and/or would take away 1 sanity each time used instead of 5.

Ok so apparently it isn't new, I'm very surprised since everything made sense to me, the beard hair to craft Bernie and all the fire related things, fire staff, burned trees, gunpowder...That's quite a coincidence then.

1:3 and 3:4
it's actually 2:4. You counted the life giving amulet for the blue gem as well. I don't think they should be equal in any way, though. The fire staff has extreme destruction capabilities, and while more easy to find in set pieces, it is harder to craft, as it takes the same materials as life giving amulets and red gems are harder to get since red hounds take longer to appear than blue ones,  while blue gems are much more abundant which offsets the ice staffs' low durability, which are much more defensive and safe, as well faster to get(only preshatittatotoroator, while the fire one requires Shadow manipulator).

It seems you're constantly trying to make things 1:1. Maybe this will change your mind.

it's actually 2:4. You counted the life giving amulet for the blue gem as well. I don't think they should be equal in any way, though. The fire staff has extreme destruction capabilities, and while more easy to find in set pieces, it is harder to craft, as it takes the same materials as life giving amulets and red gems are harder to get since red hounds take longer to appear than blue ones, while blue gems are much more abundant which offsets the ice staffs' low durability, which are much more defensive and safe, as well faster to get(only preshatittatotoroator, while the fire one requires Shadow manipulator).

It seems you're constantly trying to make things 1:1. Maybe this will change your mind.

Okay, I'll refer to the balance that is related to this case and then I'll take the case of cyclical balance. So, yes, I was trying to make blue gems more in balance with the red gems, but not because I just feel like it, but because the game itself has shown both the cold and the hot to be something that overall needs balance. The two gems, in this case can have a lot of differences, so say may be there could be a craftable similar to ice box, but in whichany kind of rotting content would never rot when inside it, this could contrast with the Night Light. While it is awesome to have some imbalance for things to be more creative, you must make sure that things are balanced so that everything in the game has a need for the players. So far, stuff like Morning star, One man band, Bee mines, Grass suit, Bush hat and Ice cube with Fassion melon in particular are being used rarely and from what I can see are used rarer than they were supposed to be used when first implemented. The imbalance in terms of features, such as Ice staff having freezing type of mechanics and Fire staff having hurning type of mechanics is a nice thing to have; they both are good in those terms, however when one is more useful or powerful or conserving than the other, that is where it all goes bad. The purple gem elements I agree to be more powerful overall to the blue and red gem capabilities, mainly because Purple gem is the combination of the two, however, when it comes to those two; in the Purple gem recipe and the chances of each of them being dropped are the same. My argument here might not seem strong here, but may be my next point could support this slightly better.

In terms of the secular imbalance, that is utterly bad for the games and NOT something to be happy about. For instance, a company could use this in order to get more profit, so say Alternativa Platform, the company which made Tanki Online game, rebalance things occasionally, however after some speculation, people quickly notice the imbalance between the weapons and hulls, even though the aim IS balance. This is because when a certain element gets pupolar, the developers nerf it and buff one of the least popular elements, but not to make it more popular, but to gain profit; in TO, you have to get crystals in the game to buy stuff. Everything is very expensive and getting good amound of crystals is scarse, so in order to get more, you need to buy them. If you have a weapon whivh is most commonly used, the developers will soon nerf it and buff the least common ones, so that people would then pay to get crystals in order to buy the buffed items. To me this seems like some indirect blackmail on players from the developers, does it not to you? For this game it is not the case of course as it is a buy-and-play-for-free type of game and where balance is in your hands if you or someone else decides to change it via mods, however, this does mean, that like I mentioned before certain elements will become almost if not totally useless, for instance bee mine is quite useful, but it's about as hard to craft one as it is to craft a bee box; is that something that should be kept as it is? I don't think so, hence why bee mines are barely ever used (I can barely remember the only one time when someone in a video used a few bee mines to kill a deerclops, which wasn't much useful at all anyways and was backed up by a ton more tooth traps).

Maybe this will change your mind.
What an insightful video, correct me if I'm wrong but perfect imbalance generates an infinite amount of metas, right ? While perfect balance like in chess is limited.

But uhm...does it actually concern red and blue gems ? 

But uhm...does it actually concern red and blue gems ? 
 No bloody idea.

In terms of the secular imbalance, that is utterly bad for the games and NOT something to be happy about. For instance, a company could use this in order to get more profit, so say Alternativa Platform, the company which made Tanki Online game, rebalance things occasionally, however after some speculation, people quickly notice the imbalance between the weapons and hulls, even though the aim IS balance. This is because when a certain element gets pupolar, the developers nerf it and buff one of the least popular elements, but not to make it more popular, but to gain profit; in TO, you have to get crystals in the game to buy stuff. Everything is very expensive and getting good amound of crystals is scarse, so in order to get more, you need to buy them. If you have a weapon whivh is most commonly used, the developers will soon nerf it and buff the least common ones, so that people would then pay to get crystals in order to buy the buffed items. To me this seems like some indirect blackmail on players from the developers, does it not to you?
All I can think is: Why did you even like this game?

I get your point about the usefulness of stuff. Yes, many items should be more usefull. But I don't really think either gem is on the list, nor that they need a similar level of usefulness just because they're similar in other regards.

Grass armor could do a bit of heat shielding like a very early game summer frest.

Beemine will be kinda useful again with caves, when fighting worms. Maybe they could be used in the dragonfly fight aswell to divert agro and increase DPS, as well as being a persistent source of damage.(I feel like putting on a wizard hat now). They're a very specificc thing, and I don't really see how changing their recipe could do much. Maybe make it trigger with flying things.

No idea on One man band. It just seems like a silly item to me, and doesn't really serve much purpose. Maybe if it could give a sanity boost to people around you?

Bush hat is mainly a thing for people who are hiding from other players in PvP servers, IMO. I think they should be changed enough in order to suit this stealth method, but not really much other than that.

I've already had a bit of discussion over the fashion melon and ice hat. The best ideas I could have(along with some smarter people) were that you couldn't overheat while wet, but your wetness would go away faster in heat. Make it so that fashion melon gets you wet slower than the ice hat, and so that in the hottest, longest days of summer, your wetness is not enough, making you to have to seek out other cooling methods. Also, nerfing the summer frest, so that the prefferred strategy is to go ice cube, but make it easier to craft, so it's a good substitute in case of low preparation.

Morning Star is the tazer, right? I see you've never tryed to fight the Goose with it in the middle of a rain with Wolfgang. It goes down so fast... Maybe it could be rechargeable, though. With Volt Milk?

But, yes. I do agree that some items just seem to be lingering there with no proper purpose or obsolete. That just adds up to my feeling of uncompleteness.

This has bugged me as well... I don't know what to make of it... also, IE is pinned in your task bar...

IIRC that one is called "grass_spots". The backstory I heard about it is that a dev came across it during worldgen experimentation and testing, and he thought it looked neat so he turned it into a set piece. 

and he thought it looked neat so he turned it into a set piece

But like... what does it do? O__O

I know I've used it as a base camp and those spots served me well in the absence of the Geometric Placement Mod... O__O 

But like... what does it do? O__O

I know I've used it as a base camp and those spots served me well in the absence of the Geometric Placement Mod... O__O 

Why do you expect it to do anything? It's just turf. 

Archived