To kite or not to kite

Hello,

I thought about which monsters should be kited. Some people were saying that every single monster should be kited and I found out that it's not necessarily correct. I tried different tactics and I found out that "going full in" on some monsters or even bosses is more effective than trying to kite them, especially when you have 100+ ping.

So which monsters should be definately kited either becuase it's super easy or those monsters deal just too much damage? I think it's definately: Treeguard, Beefalo, Koalefant, Bearger.

I also tried to kite Clockwork monsters, Moose, Deerclops, Pigs, Hounds, Tallbirds and I just cannot make it work. They either have too unpredictable attack pattern or attack too quick and in the end I am getting hit few times anyway, so turns out, going full in gives better results. Especially fight with Deerclops turns out to be much easier stationary than dynamic (because of few aspects).

So what do you think? Is that more of personal thingy or every single monster should be kited?

@FTR, Hounds are easy to kite if your fighting one at a time two hits run away repeat, clockwork horses are the only clockwork you can kite 2 hits run away repeat all the other clockwork just tank and kill them, Deerclops in DST is two hits run away unless you have a speed boost example Wolfgang fully fed or Wx-78 then you hit him three times then run away and repeat, tallbird depending on ping good = two hits, bad = one hits, it might be tedious but it's not like they have a sanity loss aura, haven't fought Goose/Moose cause i'm forever alone/certain friends don't like playing DST/they don't have time. ;-; 

Clockwork horses seem to have random attack pattern. Sometimes they hit you 2 times after charge, sometimes 3 times or more. I think it's better to fight Deerclops without kiting, standing next to fire. He appears at night, so running around with him may be impossible or he may switch and destroy some of your structures etc. or you may simply freeze Also his wide attack range makes this fight really slow if you decide to kite, causing you to lose a lot sanity and possibly be attacked by shade monsters.

I killed Deerclop and Moose without kiting, using 3 armors and few jerky. It's whole lot faster than kiting. Moose is also tricky to kite beucase he is trying to stand "in range" of his gooslings, so sometimes he doesn't attack you immediately until you come closer again, so it's confusing. He also does not have delay between his "roar" and regular attack.

Lag is always the biggest problem when you trying to kite.

It's frustrating when you are away from mob but you still got hit and when you want to hit back you got hit again. 

About Horses, as long as you hit them they will try to hit you back if you stay away for a bit they will do that taunt thing before next attack, Anyone hate that Tallbird taunt-attack, you see when it's preparing for strike so you want to hit it and suddenly it cancel animation in halfway through and hits you?

Clockwork horses seem to have random attack pattern. Sometimes they hit you 2 times after charge, sometimes 3 times or more
Right I forgot to mention that if they taunt you, you can hit it three times instead of two.
I think it's better to fight Deerclops without kiting
 Yeah even I have to agree i'd rather just tank Deerclops as long as it's in DST cause more people to help you fight them.

Having dumped a stupid amount of time into Don't Starve and a good chunk of my time into DST I can say that I find it pretty easy to kite everything, it just takes practice. Don't expect never to get hit because that's just not possible, we're human it's in us to make mistakes.

Don't expect never to get hit because that's just not possible, we're human it's in us to make mistakes.

That's why I made this topic. If we consider factors like time and the fact that we don't avoid every single hit while kiting, maybe it's just better to fight them (at least some of them) face to face and make use of our decent attack speed?

If we look for example at beefalo (bad example I know), how many times will he hit if you don't kite, 4? 5? And how much time it will take compared to when you kite him? Time in don't starve is really important and kiting some enemies takes horrendous amount of time (Deerclops being best example I think).

If someone is absolutely perfect and avoid every single hit from enemy like hound or clockwork, then I guess kiting it's way to go.

I kited Bearger no problem and I was hit once, but I absolutely cannot kite damn clockworks or pigs. :grin:

Well, if by kiting you mean hit once and run, then I can only think of Ghost as needing to be dealt with like that. That's not even what you do for the giants, unless your ping isn't too good. Here's a list of some mobs and how you would kite them/tank them:

Tank: Spider, Spider warrior (only if you're Wigfrid, Wolfgang and not in Wimpy state or Maxwell using dark sword or a weapon round about that strength or higher), Batilisk, Pig (hit it once, dodge its attack and then tank it)

Hit twice and run: Tallbird

Hit twice or thrice and run: Bearger, Gmoose, Deerclops, Merm, Hound, Warg (possibly)

Hit five or six times and run: Beefalo, Koalefant

Remember, that if a certain type of mob is attacking you in numbers, as in more than one of them, then you'll probably need to kite them by hitting once and then running. Dodging is advised as well.

Well, if by kiting you mean hit once and run, then I can only think of Ghost as needing to be dealt with like that. That's not even what you do for the giants, unless your ping isn't too good. Here's a list of some mobs and how you would kite them/tank them:

Tank: Spider, Spider warrior (only if you're Wigfrid, Wolfgang and not in Wimpy state or Maxwell using dark sword or a weapon round about that strength or higher), Batilisk, Pig (hit it once, dodge its attack and then tank it)

Hit twice and run: Tallbird

Hit twice or thrice and run: Bearger, Gmoose, Deerclops, Merm, Hound, Warg (possibly)

Hit five or six times and run: Beefalo, Koalefant

Remember, that if a certain type of mob is attacking you in numbers, as in more than one of them, then you'll probably need to kite them by hitting once and then running. Dodging is advised as well.

I actually think the optimum strategy (I only ever play wigfrid, best character (hard to find food though)) is just to tank everything with my helmet strategy, its tricky though I have to remember to heal, but yeah do that kiting isn't an option cause of lag,

Clockwork Knight is easy to be kited.

Strike when it makes attack motion (yeah, you can easily evade its attack by one backward step),

after 3 cycle of hopping-attack, it retreats and just make a hissing sound.

You can catch that point for deliver 3-4 blows.

Have no ideas on Bishop and maybe Rook.

Moose. Easy target for kiting, same as Bearger.

Pig. So easy. Wait until it comes to deliver you punch and just step back a bit to evade, then strike it once.

It's stun resist is not good so if you catch its back you can deliver more blows (suggests when it's health is <100).

Hound. Deliver 2 strikes when it barks then just step back a bit, then strike 2 times again.

Fire and Ice variation can be dealt as same.

Tallbird. So easy, same as Pig without stun time. Its attack costs much health or armour of you (same as tier 2 Treeguard and koalefant).

Spiderqueen. Deliver 2-3 strikes between its attack. It's attack range is ridiculously long so you should retreat enough distance to evade.

Kill spidees with trap (especially green spider) or just weapon.

Tentacle. Just hit once when it is about to sink into ground, then retreat, repeat this many times.

Use walking cane swap, Wolfgang speedup, WX-78 overcharge, or just exploit road for your streetfight.

Well, I also don't like to kite because of my laziness, but when think of costs for armours, I normally do kiting for such mere monsters with <1000 health. Kiting and tanking have little differences in matter of time (because when you tank you also get hit and stun during very short time too, and you'll spend times to collect materials and craft armours).

Except Deerclops. He's easy and has no disarm attack like Goose/Moose and Bearger. I can kite, but it elongates total time of the battle, and forces me to get away from setup campfire.

I usually plays in 100~200 ms ping servers and these kiting procedures work well.

Hello,

I thought about which monsters should be kited. Some people were saying that every single monster should be kited and I found out that it's not necessarily correct. I tried different tactics and I found out that "going full in" on some monsters or even bosses is more effective than trying to kite them, especially when you have 100+ ping.

So which monsters should be definately kited either becuase it's super easy or those monsters deal just too much damage? I think it's definately: Treeguard, Beefalo, Koalefant, Bearger.

I also tried to kite Clockwork monsters, Moose, Deerclops, Pigs, Hounds, Tallbirds and I just cannot make it work. They either have too unpredictable attack pattern or attack too quick and in the end I am getting hit few times anyway, so turns out, going full in gives better results. Especially fight with Deerclops turns out to be much easier stationary than dynamic (because of few aspects).

So what do you think? Is that more of personal thingy or every single monster should be kited?

Great tips. There is still that one thing to remember, some of monsters do not deal that much damage to even bother kiting becuase it will just be waste of time (sometimes it's terrible idea to kite hounds, as more will come). Kiting Deerclops although easy, wastes too much time and it's better to deal with him in more manly way.

So in the end it's often choice between Sanity/Hunger/Time-that-you-can-spend-doing-something-else or Health/Armor durability, that's how I see it. You can either Kite deerclops entire day, or kill him in about 30-45 seconds etc.

I thought about which monsters should be kited. Some people were saying that every single monster should be kited and I found out that it's not necessarily correct. I tried different tactics and I found out that "going full in" on some monsters or even bosses is more effective than trying to kite them, especially when you have 100+ ping.

This is true.

Coming from a country with terrible internet speed, some monsters just aren't worth kiting. Esp in DST where you deal less damage. It's like the chances of you actually hitting them go down to 1 out of 4 swings. Factor in the time used to dodge and it's not worth it.

When you spawn with only 3 days left til Winter/Summer, you can't spend a day just kiting a clockwork for gears.

@Flare2V, Startlingly high levels of sarcasm detected! Everyone please evacuate to a safe distance in an orderly manner while the bomb disposal team dies laughing, they died for your mistakes! Their blood is on your hands imaginary horde of civilians! Are you proud of yourselves?! Those imaginary bomb experts had little imaginary children and imaginary wives! 

I think I got a little bit carried away with this. 

NO REALLY I GOT TOO CARRIED AWAY, TOO MANY IMAGINARY PEOPLE DIED BECAUSE OF ME. I AM SO SORRY MOMMY.

@FTR, clockwork horses are the only clockwork you can kite/

For this comment...

Most of them are not necessarily a correct way of kiting but this one is totally incorrect. It aint true since you can also kite rooks and bishops. Rooks always attack on a straight line an kites from the person if being attacked in same manner. So if a rook charges on you, do not try to kite on the straight line that he is charging upon you but instead try to kite sideways... Pretty much works like normal chess pieces... You should not be on the same column or row with a rook to be safe in chess.. For bishops if u are a bit far away from him again you can try to kite sideways and he will miss his ranged attack but this is not possible if you are too close to bishop. It is only useful if u accidentally approached him and he attacked you. Other than that face tanking for bishops is the only option. But you can also hire pigs or make them fight with spiders too. Do not always try to kill mobs 1v1.

Archived