The point of the new gen?

Just aesthetically speaking, it looks more natural and believable. The old generator just made a bunch of interconnected circles.

The way the new maps generate, it's also harder to get around on them, making them generally more difficult to survive on.

I'd also bet that this won't be the last adjustment to the terrain generator that we'll see. The way the bridges are formed with the new generator is awkward, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that tweaked in the future.

I don't like the new gen... I had the worst world ever... One thing is wierd bridges (they make you walk a bit too much instead of a straight-ish line), but that doesn't really matter...

I saw two different islands... and neither for them had a bridge to connect them. It was a REALLY close island without a bridge -.-

Just aesthetically speaking, it looks more natural and believable. The old generator just made a bunch of interconnected circles.

The way the new maps generate, it's also harder to get around on them, making them generally more difficult to survive on.

I'd also bet that this won't be the last adjustment to the terrain generator that we'll see. The way the bridges are formed with the new generator is awkward, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that tweaked in the future.

This.

Instead of being able to predict how your map is generated (9 circles which will either mesh or be disconnected and only accessible by bridges), you now have a much more random and interesting environment.

And this.

Nothing more to add.

Also, Syd should get a title.

It's a lot more "natural" for sure than the perfect circle islands previously.

I'm assuming this is to prepare for the whole winter idea in their roadplan (and as a sneak peak in the winter hat), as when winter comes, some of these abundant resources will happily just go poof from the cold, so you'd have to move around a lot to get the resources you need, compared to the tiny islands with easy bridges, where you can just get to where you want, really easily.

I suppose if they do harden the game a bit more, i.e. need more wood and grass to make things compared to normal, some of these resources might actually be useful.

I'm still surprised they haven't rolled out a hotfix to get the pig king in the new generator yet though.

It's definitely a step in the right direction, I specially like Forests being completely coated by spiders now. Biomes are more unique and bigger.

However the bridge generation is downright evil. Not only trollbridges zigzag around way more than they need to, islands are very very often just not connected, separated by a tiny stretch of water for their entire coastline instead. There may be two different islands next to the one you spawn on but you can't go to any of them since the only bridge generated to a swamp and you'll have to always take the horribly long route every time you want to go from that biome to that other biome.

Bridges need to be more common, or at least realistically avoid two coastlines practically merged but still separated by a tiny river. It adds "challenge" to the game, sure, but it feels more like padding.