Why we need locked boxes

Locked Chests  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be craftable locked chests is DST

• Yes
    • No
    • Only as a mod

I had my server (A New England Server) set to public and normally I don't mind. I logged in this morning with a mission to bring down the dragonfly. I was getting 20 powder and I had sleep darts.  So I killed 20 spiders and made 20 eggs and waited over an hour. A couple new people joined. I helped them out and said take whatever but leave this chest alone. Just before they spoiled, a player trying to be helpful, said hey these are going to spoil and cooked them.  So that person is now banned and any newbies that come to close to quick get kicked and so this atmosphere will continue until clay gets its act together and makes locked chest. I am just tired of having my inventory full because I can't trust a newb not to take stuff. I can't put on armor because a newb will steal my backpack. YOU KNOW THE BIGGEST BADDEST MONSTER IN DST IS THE NEWB. I run from them scared as hell. 

Here is the chat log on this evet:

>>>>>[10:43:24]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: just so everyone know I making powder to kill monster mosqitor
[10:43:32]: [say] KU_YhCxxj08 - agnes.bok: okay
>>>>>[10:43:33]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: and I need the charcoal box left alone so I can make it
[10:43:40]: [say] KU_eemXvMX5 - kylen_kelly: Becareful for spider queen
[10:43:49]: [say] KU_eemXvMX5 - kylen_kelly: Tier 3 nest near base

[10:51:16]: [say] KU_eemXvMX5 - kylen_kelly: I was going to make the honey glazed ham and some muffins to go with it
>>>>>[10:51:55]: [say] KU_eemXvMX5 - kylen_kelly: Your eggs are about to be destroyed
[10:51:59]: [say] KU_eemXvMX5 - kylen_kelly: Should I cook them?
[10:52:09]: [say] KU_YhCxxj08 - agnes.bok: yeah
[10:52:13]: [Whisper] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: nppp\
[10:52:20]: [say] KU_YhCxxj08 - agnes.bok: or atleast i think so
[10:52:21]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: no I ban anyone thats cooks one
[10:52:27]: [say] KU_eemXvMX5 - kylen_kelly: Ban me then
[10:52:29]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: its for gun powder
[10:52:33]: [Announcement] kylen_kelly has left the game.
[10:52:36]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: danned
[10:52:40]: [say] KU_YhCxxj08 - agnes.bok: aww
[10:52:50]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: those eggs better be there
[10:53:02]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: they are for black powder
[10:53:09]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: I already said that for crist saje
[10:53:12]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: sake
[10:53:23]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: wtf
[10:53:56]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: ok who used the eggs
[10:54:06]: [say] KU_TNaXRZNJ - jrose78: omg  it takes days to let them rot

In the mean time, I suggest you use the following mod Simple Protection for your server it might be just what you need. I hope that helps, cheers.

Thanks Zillvr. I feel bad about the ban and I know the player was just trying to be helpful and thats why we need the locked boxes. Its in everyones best interest.  I didn't want to rant just scream ahhhhhhhhh! I will seriously look into this mod. I have not done one mod but I might just have to do this one. 

I think someone found locks and keys in the files of DST and the locks on the normal chests were removed recently, so locked chests are probably going to be added soon.

I really really hope they get added soon, as in sooner than Through the Ages. An official chest locking system should be a priority in my opinion. :)

Cartman Voice "I want my LOCKED BOXES NEEOWWW!"

[sarcasm] You asked Clay, not Klei, so let them make their locked boxes. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, Klei is probably going to put them in, whether it'd be in Through the Ages or Regular DST, they will go in, after all, Klei just doesn't randomly add in assets and not use them. (And no,  the cave walls don't count in this situation, since they were actually used, but then stopped being used for whatever reason).

I would prefer this to be a mod, so when people start locking up all the resources to hog it all, I can simply find a server without the mod.

Can't resouces be hogged now just by someone stuffing there backpack and leaving?

Can't resouces be hogged now just by someone stuffing there backpack and leaving?

While that may be worse since there would be nothing you can do, I would loathe to have an argument where one person gathered all the nearby grass and threw it into a locked chest because they think they need every bit.

How about locked chest that need 3 boards and 2 gold. 1 for the lock and the other for a key. With 1 key and 1 gold u can create a duplicate key, that can have limited or unlimited uses (dont know)

How about locked chest that need 3 boards and 2 gold. 1 for the lock and the other for a key. With 1 key and 1 gold u can create a duplicate key, that can have limited or unlimited uses (dont know)

add gears in the recipe as for the lock mechanic

and with woods/boards as it main resource.

then, like the regular chest, it should be able to be break using a hammer

add a nightmare fuel (perhaps with gems) and make it a magic chest that is unbreakable by hammer

:razz:

add gears in the recipe as for the lock mechanic

and with woods/boards as it main resource.

then, like the regular chest, it should be able to be break using a hammer

add a nightmare fuel (perhaps with gems) and make it a magic chest that is unbreakable by hammer

:razz:

Not everybody turns Clockworks to more, and gears can be hard to come by after a while.  : /

You basically have to wait / pray for Tumbleweeds to randomly give you one.

Not everybody turns Clockworks to more, and gears can be hard to come by after a while.  : /

You basically have to wait / pray for Tumbleweeds to randomly give you one.

well yeah. that's one of reason why gears are on the recipe.

this chest should be harder to craft (not just harder, but should be something that is resemble luxury/rare)

and with RoG expansion, gears are not as rare as vanilla. and like you said.

gears already become a renewable resource

i don't want people to easily craft or fill the world with their private chest

but. that is my personal opinion on this matter.

YOU KNOW THE BIGGEST BADDEST MONSTER IN DST IS THE NEWB

forgot to mention in my prev post.

I literally LOL at this quote.

If they do implement locked boxes care should be taken.

I agree that locked boxes should:

Need a gear

Have limited slots

Be upgraded with magic to protect against hammer (magic should only last x amount of days or something)

Thanks for all the feedback this thread has been very constructive.  I am actually surprised, I thought for sure it would go down hill fast ;)

P.S. that dragonfly is impossible to kill! I tried 56 black powder and nothing! OMG

I think that once you make a chest, it should only be possible to be opened by you when you craft one and then you could give keys to particular players to be able to open one of your chests or all of them. The keys could have a separate inventory, from which they would not go away if you die and get rezzed... unless it's PvP or something... But that's how far I'm thinking about it here... This would apply to chests, scaled chests and ice boxes. For crock pots and backpacks I don't think it's necessary.

A much better way then locked chests are by your own burried treasures!!!

Why? What the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve over!!!!

Or there will gather some guys waiting for you, until you get the stuff and then they kill you.....

and locked backpacks are also neccessary. Maybe I will make a mod about that. I am tired of running after some *.

To lock any bagpack, chest or structure for using it, you can upgrade it with a lock and you can craft some key, so others can take it and consume it like reading a blueprint, so they are also be able to open it. If you want to withdraw the permission of others opening your stuff. You create another lock and replace it the old lock. It would be also nice to upgrade your backpack to be waterproofed, or carry more stuff instead of crafting a piggy bag

Stealing and carrying locked backpacks should still be possible, but the thiefs need to hammer it 100 times until they can break the lock and open the bagpack or chest. Maybe there could be also an upgrade of the locks, so when the lock get destroyed, 50% of the items inside also will get destroyed.

and so on and so forth

Archived