Reign of Giants public test: March 23rd Update

• Developer

March 23rd Update - 131309

Thanks for all the feedback over the weekend! We're still focused on hunting down crashes and other game-breaking bugs, making steady progress...

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Ice flingomatic now only protects plants if the global temperature is hot enough to make plants wither.
  • Fixed crash in playercontroller that would happen during combat.
  • Moles and Molehills are now hauntable
  • Fixed several crashes when taking food from Meat Racks or Crock Pots, as well as having more accurate spoilage on food that's been sitting there a while.
  • Fixed being unable to harvest visible jerky.
  • Fixed crash when a mole eats gunpowder.
  • Fix for when firestaffs are used to attack inanimate objects.

Original Post:

Hi everybody! As you know we've been hard at work on integrating Reign of Giants into Don't Starve Together, and we're just about ready to launch it! The main challenge at this point is that RoG is a whole lotta game and we need your help testing it to make sure we didn't break things as we converted it over to multiplayer.

It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but if you want to hop in to our testing branch, we'd really appreciate letting us know if anything is crashing, broken, or missing.

Instructions for getting the RoG test version:

• You must already own Don't Starve Together. (Reign of Giants not required.)
  • The game must not be running.
  • In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”
  • Select the “Betas” tab
  • Enter the code “rogtogetherbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the RoG_Together_Beta is now available.
  • In the drop-down under menu select to opt into RoG_Together_Beta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the RoG_Together_Beta. Press “Close”.
post-202401-0-18353700-1426617529_thumb.

post-202401-0-23299900-1426617532_thumb.

post-202401-0-81487300-1426617534_thumb.

WARNING!

This uses the same save slots as the normal game but the saves aren't compatible. Make sure you create a new save file for your RoG test as the save files won't transfer back to the normal game.

WARNING!

Please keep all bug reports and related conversation in this thread so that all the feedback related to this special testing branch is in one place. Thank you!

Current known issues:

• Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!
  • Moles and Moggles are missing due to technical challenges with night vision.
Major changes from single-player Reign of Giants to be aware of:
  • Deerclops shows up all winter long to harass everyone's bases.
  • Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature.
  • Updated smallbird lifecycle so they can grow up in the wild.
  • Crafting menu has been altered to be more dynamic, so scroll arrows only show when needed. Mouse wheel also works on it!
  • Full moon has been retuned to 1 night every 22 days, starting on the 11th day.
  • Flingomatic no longer has an on-off switch.
  • The Old Bell and Bigfood are absent from multiplayer due to their extreme destructive potential.
  • There are also many small changes and fixes, but keep your eyes peeled for anything weird!
  • We will be continuing to address balance and tuning issues for multiplayer, so your feedback is appreciated!
Thanks for your help, everyone! We're excited to get RoG out to you!

Don't forget to post your feedback in this thread. The test branch is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Dedicated server instructions:

If you are running your server through the steam interface: Simply go through the above process with the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in the tools list to join the rog_together_beta branch and launch the server.

If you are running from the command line using steamcmd:

Launch steamcmd and run:

app_update 343050 -beta rog_together_beta -betapassword rogtogetherbeta validate 
Further information can be found at: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Thanks @Kzisor!

Hi,

thx you very much for update

so i have make update on my servers dedicated but still on the old version 131117

update looks works on my server dedicated:

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for license info...OK
 Update state (0x3) reconfiguring, progress: 0.00 (0 / 0)
 Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 46.39 (2899102 / 6249098)
 Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 88.67 (5540965 / 6249098)
 Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 100.00 (2168224 / 2168224)
 Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 100.00 (2168224 / 2168224)
Success! App '343050' fully installed.

http://my.jacklul.com/dstservers/?mode=Any&dedicated=Yes&password=Any&fo=Any&pvp=No&mods=Yes

[FR] Serveur KFK | Wilderness #1 | 0 / 8 Wilderness     131117

[FR] Serveur KFK | Wilderness #2 | 0 / 8 Wilderness     131117

[FR] Serveur KFK | TEST | 0 / 8 Survival     131117

my server dedicated is on linux

someone have the same problem?

Whenever you guys do implement the giants, can you make sure the Ancient Guardian can be visible to non-host players as well? I spawned one in and he ran amok killing players in my server who couldn't see him. Would love to get a great giant battle going between friends and I love the minotaur. Thank you!

Hello, Thanks for giving us early access to the ROG on DST.

First bug i noticed was in editing the world the "dead people" icon was the same as the "revival stone" icon.

Then after playing for awhile (no mods on) i had this error. I was the only one on the server the whole game.

post-593916-0-32551400-1427166350_thumb.

Hope this helps out in some way or form.

In solo Don't Starve, I like to use the ice flingomatic to protect my pig houses against fires. It used to be a very good way to defend against hounds/fire hounds. :(

I hope you guys just give the flingomatic the on/off switch again.

I hope you guys just give the flingomatic the on/off switch again.

I think they took off the on/off switch out of the flingomatic because of greivers... I guess... or make people more responsible by making them refuel the thing time and time and time again...

Bring back the thing!! O___O

How exactly do Survival servers reset?

If everyone who is currently on the server is dead at any point, the timer starts. Living players joining do not cancel the countdown except in the case where the server was reloaded by a dead host (this is to prevent scenarios like this: host dies, everyone else is still alive; game crashes, host rehosts the server, world gets reset by countdown).

knock on wood but after this update my dedicated server did not crash the entire night. I did however notice random rubber banding like lag. I checked my server and it was about 40% cpu usage on 1 core and pings where about 0-40 ms.  I suppose it could be on my end but nothing points to that. Has anyone else run into this? Thanks Klei and keep up the good work. You guys are super quick at fixing stuff. <------ I am only being nice cause I want locked boxes. 

I think they took off the on/off switch out of the flingomatic because of greivers... I guess... or make people more responsible by making them refuel the thing time and time and time again...

Bring back the thing!! O___O

I feel like if someone really wanted to grief, they would just make a hammer and destroy the flingomatic. Removing the on/off switch isn't going to stop greivers - but the current solution will remove the versatility the ice flingomatic had. Unless they intend to remove hammers as well, this is a poor solution.

(For example - I used the flingomatic to defend pig houses against fire hounds for easy, no effort hound defense. With the current flingomatic, this is no longer possible).

I feel like a better solution - if the on/off switch isn't for whatever reason viable - would be to have the flingomatic have a set amount of snowballs (100 snowballs at maximum fuel?). To get more snowballs, the machine has to be refueled. This isn't still isn't going to stop griefers, however.

I feel like if someone really wanted to grief, they would just make a hammer and destroy the flingomatic. Removing the on/off switch isn't going to stop greivers - but the current solution will remove the versatility the ice flingomatic had. Unless they intend to remove hammers as well, this is a poor solution.

(For example - I used the flingomatic to defend pig houses against fire hounds for easy, no effort hound defense. With the current flingomatic, this is no longer possible).

I feel like a better solution - if the on/off switch isn't for whatever reason viable - would be to have the flingomatic have a set amount of snowballs (100 snowballs at maximum fuel?). To get more snowballs, the machine has to be refueled. This isn't still isn't going to stop griefers, however.

I think on/off button is redundant. Think of refuel as an instant on/off button. When you need it (hear the hounds, beginning of summer), you fuel it depending on how long do you need it to last (little for hound, full for summer). 

@Doddler: As far as my experience in RoG goes, not a single one of the giants is hostile by default. They're all neutral. Getting underfoot, being too close, or attacking angers them. Once they lose interest, however, they're not like hounds. They don't automatically re-aggro on the nearest thing (though they will aggro on anything near).

I say this as someone who absolutely enjoys frolicking with giants, so I fiddle with them using the console pretty often.

I think on/off button is redundant. Think of refuel as an instant on/off button. When you need it (hear the hounds, beginning of summer), you fuel it depending on how long do you need it to last (little for hound, full for summer). 

If I understand these changes correctly, the problem is now the flingomatic will only work during the summer. This is because the flingomatic will now only throw snow at stuff when the atmosphere temperature is high enough.

I know from solo Don't Starve RoG, fire hounds still spawn in autumn. I haven't tested DST RoG.

@Dougles, No, I just tested it, it will still put out plants on fire in other seasons. It just won't try to prevent them from withering unless the temperature is great enough that they could actually wither.

Edit: So this is basically just a visual change, as far as I can tell.

Archived