Reign of Giants Public Test: March 19th Update

• Developer

March 19th Update build number 130927

Hi everybody! Thanks for continuing to help us test. 

Today's update includes:

- Hopefully fixed the issue with grass and twigs becoming picked after rain storms.

- Fixed the exceedingly strange behaviour of smallbirds.

- Reduced the number of lureplants that spawn in the world.

- Fixed a number of crashes (approaching coontails, hammering a burnt farm, the bee hat in rain, AND MORE)

- Fires can now be extinguished by clients.

- Glommer can now be attacked with Ctrl+F if you haven't yet picked the flower.

- Correctly use the last used save slot on the server creation screen, instead of the first unused one.

Original Post:

Hi everybody! As you know we've been hard at work on integrating Reign of Giants into Don't Starve Together, and we're just about ready to launch it! The main challenge at this point is that RoG is a whole lotta game and we need your help testing it to make sure we didn't break things as we converted it over to multiplayer.

It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but if you want to hop in to our testing branch, we'd really appreciate letting us know if anything is crashing, broken, or missing.

Instructions for getting the RoG test version:

• You must already own Don't Starve Together. (Reign of Giants not required.)
  • The game must not be running.
  • In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”
  • Select the “Betas” tab
  • Enter the code “rogtogetherbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the RoG_Together_Beta is now available.
  • In the drop-down under menu select to opt into RoG_Together_Beta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the RoG_Together_Beta. Press “Close”.

WARNING!

This uses the same save slots as the normal game but the saves aren't compatible. Make sure you create a new save file for your RoG test as the save files won't transfer back to the normal game.

WARNING!

Please keep all bug reports and related conversation in this thread so that all the feedback related to this special testing branch is in one place. Thank you!

Current known issues:

• Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!
  • Moles and Moggles are missing due to technical challenges with night vision.
Major changes from single-player Reign of Giants to be aware of:
  • Deerclops shows up all winter long to harass everyone's bases.
  • Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature.
  • Updated smallbird lifecycle so they can grow up in the wild.
  • Crafting menu has been altered to be more dynamic, so scroll arrows only show when needed. Mouse wheel also works on it!
  • Full moon has been retuned to 1 night every 22 days, starting on the 11th day.
  • Flingomatic no longer has an on-off switch.
  • The Old Bell and Bigfood are absent from multiplayer due to their extreme destructive potential.
  • There are also many small changes and fixes, but keep your eyes peeled for anything weird!
  • We will be continuing to address balance and tuning issues for multiplayer, so your feedback is appreciated!
Thanks for your help, everyone! We're excited to get RoG out to you!

Don't forget to post your feedback in this thread. The test branch is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Dedicated server instructions:

If you are running your server through the steam interface: Simply go through the above process with the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in the tools list to join the rog_together_beta branch and launch the server.

If you are running from the command line using steamcmd:

Launch steamcmd and run:

app_update 343050 -beta rog_together_beta -betapassword rogtogetherbeta validate 
Further information can be found at: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Thanks @Kzisor!

- Fixed the exceedingly strange behaviour of smallbirds.

Before this patch, I saw two smallish tallbirds (teenbirds) duke it out with a grown up tallbird.

No clue where did they come from, and why they were so pissed. :razz:

Got crash when opening certain tumbleweed,Image as follow:post-577350-0-35725600-1426817884_thumb.    

I don‘t know if it corresponds with  the MODs  I enabled.

And,Can you just make a option for game host to decide whether to get The Old Bell makeable?  Without it ,there is less fun   T _ T!!!  Due to its destructive power, it's very usefull~~

Regarding the "acid rain"... any chance that could become a feature? Not as a regular thing, but as a small chance of happening. Maybe during a late autumn rainfall or something.

While I was playing survival with that yesterday, it was actually pretty fun when I had a short rainfall followed by "harvested" twigs/bushes/grass/etc. I was forced to rely on pre-base food sources besides berries, which meant chasing rabbits into traps, making a fishing rod, etc.

I can honestly say that felt like it would make a pretty cool feature if done right.

You guys know about tumbleweeds crashing the game when picked?

Crashing from tumbleweeds seems to be caused by it attempting to spawn a mole with moles currently disabled. I went through hundreds of tumbleweeds without a problem and when it finally crashed the log was referencing moles.

Crashing from tumbleweeds seems to be caused by it attempting to spawn a mole with moles currently disabled. I went through hundreds of tumbleweeds without a problem and when it finally crashed the log was referencing moles.

I agree too. Most of tumbleweeds could be picked in my case.

It's spawning multiple eyebones, and consequently multiple Chesters, and said Chesters are jerks.

I found a second eyebone after I knew someone already had him, and was like "cool, more Chesters!"

Picked it up and sure enough he came bounding over. At some point though, he snuck off with all of my stuff in him and never came back, perhaps lured away towards whoever had the other bone.

Played again tonight and noticed a couple of things. Three of us started playing a few hours ago again so I will try to relay what happened to the three of us. So we should have hit the fixes that were implemented.

1. We noticed that the twigs, grass, and berry bush issue with rain was less significant. It seemed like for a fair distance around our base, everything was fine during and after rain. But once we went further away, the issue cropped up again. For one person, she was able to find grass further away without any issue but all the twigs and berries were still gone, instead of all three being an issue. I went a few biomes away and everything was picked, including grass.
  2. We were getting a surprising amount of dishes either coming out as rot or turning instantly to rot inside the crockpots. It was about 1 in 4 dishes, if not 1 in 3, we cooked while using fresh ingredients. This was not an issue when we played two days ago, it only happened once total in about four hours of playing that night, but it was just excessive tonight. We're quickly approaching Winter and pretty much stopped using our crops in recipes because so much was going to waste. At least we have a never-ending supply of frogs and rabbits on either side of our camp as well as 5 bee boxes...
  3. Still having the issue of players (but not the host) not seeing hollow stumps but able to see the catcoons at least.
  4. A small one that I forgot to mention two days ago. We were at our base while it was raining and lightning struck our lightning rod. My friend had the ice box door open but when the lightning struck it shut the door and closed the ice box inventory for her. We were more amused than anything, but it was curious. I don't think this is something that happens, even rarely, but if it is let me know.

One player had a crash happen, but she went to bed shortly after rejoining for a bit. So unfortunately I, and my other friend, do not know exactly what she was doing when it happened. All we know is that she was at our base while we were both away. I'll see if she got a screencap or can tell me what exactly she was doing when it happened. If so I'll bring the info back.

Happy to see that the lureplant spawn rate was reduced. Of course, the spoils from the ridiculous number we encountered last time made excellent ice flingomatic fuel throughout summer.

A small one that I forgot to mention two days ago. We were at our base while it was raining and lightning struck our lightning rod. My friend had the ice box door open but when the lightning struck it shut the door and closed the ice box inventory for her. We were more amused than anything, but it was curious. I don't think this is something that happens, even rarely, but if it is let me know

This happened to me, but I was in a chest! 

Guess I'm just lucky enough to get a mole on my first tumbleweed :-)

Good to see lots of fixes done... and so fast!

However, it seems to me that there are still lots of lureplants spawning here and there.I just started a new world and the season was fall when I found one lureplant popped out right in front me and then another, next to it.... Not fixed completely, I guess?

However, it seems to me that there are still lots of lureplants spawning here and there.I just started a new world and the season was fall when I found one lureplant popped out right in front me and then another, next to it.... Not fixed completely, I guess?

Two bugs that I have noticed:

1) A catcoon is sleeping near a tree. I set the tree on fire. The catcoon continues to sleep until it burns to death. Produces 1 ham (uncooked).

2) Attempted to use rot on a berry bush needing fertilisation. Says "not enough poop" and stays needing fertiliser. Consumes rot, cannot use other rot on bush, nor can I use poop on the bush. It is now stuck unfertilised, apparently.

Edit: to clarify, I no longer get the option/action over the bush. It might as well be a tree, for I cannot drop the poop there, nor can I use it on the bush.

Possible third bug:

Got struck by lightning three times in under 5 minutes (probably shorter). At least picking up the burning backpack didn't crash the server.

While playing around with DST:RoG, I discovered or probably rediscovered old DS:RoG bugs that still persists in DST:RoG. In case it matters, I happened upon the bugs while playing DST:RoG Rev. 130927 on my own player-hosted non-dedicated server.

Bugs:
Extinguishing Unplanted Pinecones, Auto-Plants Them When You Rejoin

Notes:

• Extinguishing pinecones with Fling-o-matic and rejoining the same server/world, somehow forces the Pinecones to be planted.
  • The same is true with other means of burning and extinguishing the burning pinecones/birchnut. (i.e. firestaff, lighter, icestaff, ice, etc.)
  • This bug also occurs in DS:RoG.

Feeding Frozen Pigmen, Semi-Unfreezes Them

Notes:

• Frozen Pigmen when fed until they no longer accept food, reverts to their pre-frozen state but are technically still frozen and stands in place. Upon fully unfreezing, they'll proceed to eat the first food item you gave them.
  • The same is true with using a Fling-o-matic to freeze Pigmen and then feeding them.
  • This bug also occurs in DS:RoG.

Archived