Farming is dead LOL

I haven't tried yet myself but im concerned that too many things are getting nerfed at too high an amount. Drastic changes will ruin the current balance. If seeds now drop 1/10 and it was 7/10 before, then farms are 50% slower. Thats two massive nerfs and you don't have any idea how balanced that really is. Im just concerned that there are too many changes in an area like farming but they're also too heavy/drastic.

Other games change things in smaller increments. Take League of Legends for example, change a few damage numbers slightly, re arrange damage from one skill to another. Reduce or increase range of abilities. Very minor things that are focused on fixing/improving 1 or 2 problems.

I'll see how farming is when i get on.

Seriously i understood one nerf of "decreased drop rate of seeds" but didnt understand the nerf of time for grow up in farm plots....

Double nerf just made farming pointless

with tooth traps i just set them up on rabbit holes without fearing from KRAMPUS and this is it!!!! othey provide at least 8x higher hunger than farming.

Farming is gg

Edited by SeriMert

Seriously i understood one nerf of "decreased drop rate of seeds" but didnt understand the nerf of time for grow up in farm plots....

Double nerf just made farming pointless

It doesn't. You just have to make a lot more farms if you want to feed exclusively from them and never leave your camp.

I haven't tried yet myself but im concerned that too many things are getting nerfed at too high an amount. Drastic changes will ruin the current balance. If seeds now drop 1/10 and it was 7/10 before, then farms are 50% slower. Thats two massive nerfs and you don't have any idea how balanced that really is. Im just concerned that there are too many changes in an area like farming but they're also too heavy/drastic.

Other games change things in smaller increments. Take League of Legends for example, change a few damage numbers slightly, re arrange damage from one skill to another. Reduce or increase range of abilities. Very minor things that are focused on fixing/improving 1 or 2 problems.

Edited by Xuhybrid

They should have just put a limit on how many plots you can build.

What they did was killing a feature for players who used it normally because of people who abused it.

Instead of killing the core problem (people abusing it).

I don't like the "tuning" changes of this update.

Also what on earth is with the cooking nerf ? Cooking needed a BOOST not a nerf.

If I understand the changes properly then it means there is no point in building a crock pot whatsoever.

I also read that they nerfed the bird cage.

What they did was killing a feature for players who used it normally because of people who abused it.

Also what on earth is with the cooking nerf ? Cooking needed a BOOST not a nerf.

If I understand the changes properly then it means there is no point in building a crock pot whatsoever.

What? This?

"Some fruits and cooked foods are a bit less potent."

They're already unstackable. Not sure why they'd need a nerf. I guess Honey Ham and some others were a bit overpowered though to be honest. 75 food and 50 health... Come on, thats a bit rich. Take one or two of those and you barely have a scratch on you after a day of fighting.

I also read that they nerfed the bird cage.

Ugh, i forgot about that too. It was already awkward enough. As long as they drop 2 seeds im happy, but it was still awkward lol.

yeah...many of the recipes before were already pretty pointless compared to just eating the ingredients by themselves. There were only a few recipes that were worthwhile.

I guess Honey Ham and some others were a bit overpowered though to be honest. 75 food and 50 health... Come on, thats a bit rich.

That is not rich it actually gives less than what the ingredients would give you if you ate them by themselves (without the cooking time or need for a crock pot)

And now the results are even less effective.

That was my point, with your permission i will copy this to main post with quote style.

I think you're overreacting. We don't even know the nerf values yet. And it's not like anyone needs to collect seeds once they have planted a handful of them and built a birdcage. Yes, even a nerfed birdcage.

Also, that League of Legends example vaguely reminds me of something :rolleyes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/14xsmk/rengar_and_diana_the_day_after_the_nerfs/

Edit for P.S. : Wow. That ZindDB guy in the most appreciated post from my link is not me, by the way. I can't believe the coincidence myself, that's the first time I see his name.

Edited by Zind

Once again, you're all missing the point. Kevin has said many times and in several threads that the ultimate goal is to make it so that no one food type or survival type (hunter, gatherer, farmer, etc.) should be the primary means of getting your food - you should have to mix and match, combining meat from farmed animals with some farming and a bit of Crockpot-y goodness to survive.

Are we there yet? Maybe, maybe not, but the point is that farming was too good and allowed you to play SimBase for days or weeks at time, instead of being forced to go out into the wilds for supplemental foods and/or materials.

That was my point, with your permission i will copy this to main post with quote style.

Sure go for it.

I think you're overreacting. We don't even know the nerf values yet. And it's not like anyone needs to collect seeds once they have planted a handful of them and built a birdcage. Yes, even a nerfed birdcage.

Yeah i need time to test it. Im restarting with Wolfgang on the new map gen so it'll take me a bit to find the right biomes.

Once again, you're all missing the point. Kevin has said many times and in several threads that the ultimate goal is to make it so that no one food type or survival type (hunter, gatherer, farmer, etc.) should be the primary means of getting your food - you should have to mix and match, combining meat from farmed animals with some farming and a bit of Crockpot-y goodness to survive.

Are we there yet? Maybe, maybe not, but the point is that farming was too good and allowed you to play SimBase for days or weeks at time, instead of being forced to go out into the wilds for supplemental foods and/or materials.

Im not arguing against that at all. My worry is that it was over nerfed, just like Krampus. Too many changes at once, extreme changes, will cause the over nerf. To use my League analogy again, its better to make smaller tweaks and then make a few more later if it wasn't enough. This way you can properly gauge how much needs to change and you don't completely gimp the game element for an extended time.

Edited by Xuhybrid

Farming is not over, it just makes it so that you can't sit in the same spot the whole game. You have to find other food, too. The Devs are making you explore the enormous map they provided... darn.

Secondly, this is the beta. They are exploring all ranges and aspects and directions they can take the game in. It's not released yet, nor will it be for quite a while. Why are you expecting them to be perfecting it with small changes here and there, fine tuning it? They haven't settled on one idea for something, but you expect them to have it on the road to perfection. Be more patient.

You misunderstand though. Firstly, how do they know they've gone too far if we just nod our heads and suffer in silence? Its our job to give feedback. Klei is one of the good developers that listens. Thats why im on the forums in the first place. Secondly, what small changes? Farming got 3 separate nerfs. Until ive tested it i won't know how severe each thing got hit but like i said, im just concerned it may have been too much. I should stop speculating here until then but i have to keep clarifying.

Uhm... I was farming in my game (day 156, I think, when I accidentally tripped over a level 3 spider nest and... Well, I wanted to try the new world generation algorithm anyway. And now I know what warrior spiders and Queen spiders feel like.)

The old way wasn't just a bit overpowered... I built 19 speedy plots in about the first... 5 game days? And two crock pots. The result, early on, was dragon pie or stuffed eggplant for dinner whenever I got hungry (not sure about the Dragon Pie, but using berries as an ingredient in your stuffed eggplant seems to be a must), and a rapidly increasing pile of ingredients. Did I "Turtle"? Well, depending on your definition. I was situated on a large island (the only one directly accessible from my starting island), and I farmed for silk, monster meat, and a tiny bit of meat (No pigs on the island, and I wouldn't hunt beefalo, since I was using them for everything else, but I did every so often go on a build-a-new-chest binge to summon up the Tree Guardians. I really suck at kiting, but those I can handle, as long as I have some armor.) I didn't venture off the island except to visit the nearby pig village for gold, pig-butt, and meat (I had soooo much gold by the end) and to summon Krampus, trying to get a sack. I didn't want to summon Krampus to my camp. Whenever I had a Meat Effigy, I would explore, and I managed to map the boundaries of the world, and such things... But when I ran out of meat effigies I would hunker down and wait for the beard to grow in full and rich.

Even while doing all of this, I built up an insane level of ingredients. And I figured out that for travel, if the risk level was low, I could just carry a stack of cooked Pumpkin. As someone who enjoys the farming aspect of the game, I am very happy to hear about these changes. I want farming to survive as a real part of the game, and that means it has to be a bit more challenging. If it's too easy, it's not fun. It's just sitting there harvesting and replanting. But if the food is rewarding, and it grows while you are away (many things in the game only happen when you are within range... You have to CAMP on your traps. But your farms don't care where you are) farming could be an excellent part of the full gameplay experience.

Actually, I'd be inclined to make the delay longer that what I understand it is now... To encourage a farm-and-venture cycle of a reasonable length... If I know that my crops won't be ready to harvest for another two days, I'm even less eager to run home... And if I'm badly beat-up, I might be looking for honey or berries rather than thinking about going home to my crock-pot.

I do think that some crock-pot foods should be stackable, though. i know that the game is called 'Don't Starve' but it seems to be a lot about exploring and killing stuff, and it'd be nice if I could prepare meals for travel. Maybe instead of stackable crock-pot items, a smokehouse or some method of salting would be good, allowing one to make preserved versions of foods (essentially inferior versions of crock-pot type foods that stack...)

By the way... In the long run, a cooked food should have LESS food value than the raw version. The food value becomes more accessible as the bonds are broken down by cooking, but calories are lost in the process. If you wanted a "realistic" type of cooking, you'd put 4 foods in, and get 1 out, less than the sum of the 4 but better than any one of them. Also, the crock pot would require fuel as well as ingredients... Probably anything that works for fire fuel would work for the crock-pot, but the quantity required might vary.

One way to make that work in the game context to make it valuable would be to have crock-pot foods less potent, but stackable, so instead of 4 stacks of 40 ingredients each, with a total food value of (say) 1600, you could have one stack of 40 meals with a total food value of 800, or maybe two stacks of 20 with a total food value of 1200. Either way, you're well set for an expedition, but you'd more efficiently eat the same food raw.

Oh my god, a smokehouse + fish = smoked fish. That would be AMAZING. You could stack those for sure! That would also be a great item to have in the game if and when they implement food spoiling -- and then when we have Winter, ice fishing to get the fish you need for your smoke house.