Submit Random tips to help you survive.

Video or it never happened. 

Big Bang? Video or it never happened.

Tree fell in a forest, but nobody heard it? Video or it never happened.

The ring? Video or it never happened.

But I have to agree that pylons are the greatest BS I have heard in a while. At first they sounded like those DayZi lumber piles.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already but;

65. If you've only just started, you should try to start your base near a touchstone if possible. This way, it is not too difficult to get your stuff back if you die near your base.

I call BS.

Out of all good base locations "Near touchstone" isn't, even, on my list. It's one time use and won't help neighter with defence or resource gathering. You can leave supplies near touchstone, to get back to base. And you can, eventually, build effigy.

66. Hammer down pigheads around touchstone, they contain pigskins.

67. Good way to build up food supply for winter is collecting large amounts of birchnuts in the last days of autumn. With 20 days spoilage time they can last trough whole winter, even without icebox.

68. As been mentioned before, ice is valid crock pot filler, and it won't spoil in ice box - food supply that lasts forever.

69. When you're running away from hounds or giant, do not forget to use roads for speed boost.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already but;

65. If you've only just started, you should try to start your base near a touchstone if possible. This way, it is not too difficult to get your stuff back if you die near your base.

I call BS.

Out of all good base locations "Near touchstone" isn't, even, on my list. It's one time use and won't help neighter with defence or resource gathering. You can leave supplies near touchstone, to get back to base. And you can, eventually, build effigy.

66. Hammer down pigheads around touchstone, they contain pigskins.

67. Good way to build up food supply for winter is collecting large amounts of birchnuts in the last days of autumn. With 20 days spoilage time they can last trough whole winter, even without icebox.

68. As been mentioned before, ice is valid crock pot filler, and it won't spoil in ice box - food supply that lasts forever.

69. When you're running away from hounds or giant, do not forget to use roads for speed boost.

But for new players, this means if they die in a season like Summer/Winter, they can get back to their base with minimal risk to their environmental health. That written, it's still wise to build near grassland/savanna and/or Pigs/beefalo for resource and protection needs. but a new player would not have the wherewithal immediately to know how to properly build an effigy (and dealing with the the corresponding health loss) let alone how if they decide to not play Wilson after the character unlocks upon their (likely) death.

So when they get midgame experienced, and build future bases, yes, building near touchstones will be not a top priority. 

But, for new players, building near one as long as they have resources nearby is actually a very good #65 (as long as they leave additional resources dropped there no matter what if something hits the fan, and they can't even get back to base.) 

But for new players, this means if they die in a season like Summer/Winter, they can get back to their base with minimal risk to their environmental health. That written, it's still wise to build near grassland/savanna and/or Pigs/beefalo for resource and protection needs. but a new player would not have the wherewithal immediately to know how to properly build an effigy (and dealing with the the corresponding health loss) let alone how if they decide to not play Wilson after the character unlocks upon their (likely) death.

So when they get midgame experienced, and build future bases, yes, building near touchstones will be not a top priority. 

But, for new players, building near one as long as they have resources nearby is actually a very good #65 (as long as they leave additional resources dropped there no matter what if something hits the fan, and they can't even get back to base.) 

Yes! I meant that you should try to find a good base spot near a touchstone, and you nailed what I was trying to say. TY.

Sorry if this has been said already, but:

70. Try to get armor and weapons ASAP: the hounds will not spare you, so don't spare them.

71. If you walk between Beefalos to pick up stuff for example manure or grass switch off your weapon. Same thing for eggs and pengulls.

Yes i really died with Maxwell by picking up some flint. Well i thought so, but looks like i missed it and attacked this "I-look-stupid-while-i sleep-and-love-to-destroy-your-stonewalls-Guys" instead.

No armor and i was faster dead than i was able to say "oh no...oh my god" 

My most stupid death in Don't starve. Even more stupid than; I am in a cave, oh sanity is low, i will put my night armor and dark sword away for a second to regain sanity a little bit faster. Oh some monster meat! *picked up* DEAD ... I am sure you know why.

72) During summer, use two thermal stones in conjunction with Snow Chester to stop yourself from ever overheating when you are out and about. Just swap between the two thermal stones, keeping one in Chester and the other in your inventory

74. If you are woody, need to know when the pigs turn to werepig, or take an interest to know when the next full moon is, look at this http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/473-dont-starve-lunar-calendar-in-javascript/ for lunar cycle

75. Boomerang might be difficult if you new. mash the space key to catch it until you get the timing.

Really good thread. Interesting debate about jerky and meat and really lots and lots of useful tips.

Thanks TS!  :love-struck:

1. Always carry a trap in your main inventory to mark the map upon your death. It'll make finding your corpse much easier.

2. You can hammer your skeleton for bone shards.

3. Backpack is far from a necessary upgrade. Try to minimize moving. Gather one type of resource for the whole day.

4 stacks of wood -> 1 stack of boards. 

3 stacks of stone -> 1 stack of cut stones.

4. Only armor, shovel, spear and torches/light are necessary things to carry.

1. Always carry a trap in your main inventory to mark the map upon your death. It'll make finding your corpse much easier.

2. You can hammer your skeleton for bone shards.

3. Backpack is far from a necessary upgrade. Try to minimize moving. Gather one type of resource for the whole day.

4 stacks of wood -> 1 stack of boards. 

3 stacks of stone -> 1 stack of cut stones.

4. Only armor, shovel, spear and torches/light are necessary things to carry.

3) but if I want raw logs? ... Just use chester!

4) OBJECTION: "shovel = necessary" really? Reeeaaally?

Do you like my little objectinator?

180) Don't waste space on Nitro. Just leave it on the ground and grab it later on in the game if, for some forsaken reason, you actually need it (it's barely used in/for anything).

271) Though you may find the lack of characters and the prerequisite for unlocking all the others annoying, just remember: Wilson is OP.

314) With either a trapped Pengull or an assortment of Pengull Eggs (or, if you can plan well enough, refrigerate a bucket-load of fish before the water ices over), feed either foodstuffs to the McTusk Walruses and they'll migrate to your nearest campfire, assuring your protection in exchange for fishy goodness.

748) The purple land (Swamp land) gradually, over the course of a long game, grows over the surrounding biomes as the Tentacles repopulate. As soon as you can, make it your goal to cull the birth rate of Tentacles to wither this process.

865) The difference between normal gathering tools and Gold tools (such as Gold Axe, Gold Pick, etc) is that the latter upgrade deals bonus damage to apparitions and monsters--you can use the Gold Axe to attack/kill the monsters that hits you when you're in darkness (takes about 3-4 hits from the Gold Axe). This creature will regularly respawn (once a season), but you'll have ample time to forage if you deal with this threat ASAP.

Best advice I was ever given; just passing on the word - made my game so much easier. Now, go forth and be vigilant, fellow newbs!

180) Don't waste space on Nitre. Just leave it on the ground and grab it later on in the game if, for some forsaken reason, you actually need it (it's barely used in/for anything).However, if you are playing Reign of Giants, completely ignore this and collect as much nitre as you can for Endothermic fire pits and Ice Fling O Matics, especially if your session starts in Spring and not fall! 

271) Though you may find the lack of characters and the prerequisite for unlocking all the others annoying, just remember: Wilson is the baseline that all other characters are measured by. You'll realize playing other characters such "simple" things like beards for winter and shaving for Meat Effigies are not to be taken for granted! 

314)  If lured to a large enough pack of Pengulls, MacTusk will attack them, causing the Pengulls to retaliate and kill MacTusk (and the Hounds).

[ Mactusks hunt live animals, they are not fed or lured by food. If you meant trying to lure pengulls by food, ]

Pengulls will eat food left on the ground, including meat from their killed brethren, and even Hatching Tallbird Eggs. They will also eat planted Mandrakes. ]

748)Tentacles don't typically repopulate, so be careful if used solely for animal distraction as they will die and not usually come back. without Wickerbottom. Swamp reeds also cannot be transplanted and can only grow in swampland. You however can transplant swamp turf, but it doesn't change the terrain.  

865) The difference between normal gathering tools and Gold tools (such as Gold Axe, Gold Pick, etc) is that the latter upgrade has a higher durability so it can chop or pick longer than its basic counterparts. Like regular tools, they also can be used as improvised weapons, but their damage (27-33) still is less compared to basic weapons such as spears (34) or more preferred weapons like Ham bats (59-29.5 as it decays if Reign of Giants or 59 if Regular Don't Starve) or Tentacle Spikes (51) for starting players. 

Best advice I was ever given; just passing on the word - made my game so much easier. Now, go forth and be vigilant, fellow newbs!

Oh man, that is not right in so many places. Fixed text in bold.

I'm going to ask this sincerely and apologies if it reads wrongly, but where did you get this advice from? 

865) The difference between normal gathering tools and Gold tools (such as Gold Axe, Gold Pick, etc) is that the latter upgrade deals bonus damage to apparitions and monsters--you can use the Gold Axe to attack/kill the monsters that hits you when you're in darkness (takes about 3-4 hits from the Gold Axe). This creature will regularly respawn (once a season), but you'll have ample time to forage if you deal with this threat ASAP.

Oh man!  Why didn't I think of that?!  I think I'll go try and kill Charlie now!  

*facedesk*

post-449710-0-33764600-1409647526.gif

Since I lost count after 75th tip, I'll start with 100

100) Put lureplants in 10*10 artificial/rocky turf for lure meat every 2 days

101) You can hammer endothermic fire to get nitre back

102) If using PC, always press F to attack, don't use the mouse

103) Pro Tip, get an evergreen tree near one of the firepits, think of it as a Christmas tree and heat/rain abosrber(remember to also put lightning rod beside it)

104) If using PC, the tab key is useless. I highly suggest you change the key bind of tab into emergency button like telelocator staff or alt_f4

104) If using PC, the tab key is useless. I highly suggest you change the key bind of tab into emergency button like telelocator staff or alt_f4

Whilst I agree with everything else you said, the last point couldn't sound more ridiclious to me:

• Tab opens up the map, as such it is very handy when exploring (there is a minimap mod to be fair, but still).
  • You can't set a keybind for a specific tool, as far as I am aware.
  • Alt-F4 can easily corrupt your save game. As such, it is not an for-emergency button, but rather a causes-emergency buttom

This might sound ironic

106)best summer camp is in the desert biome. Tonnes of nitre, buzzard meat and most importantly-cactus flower

107)Go to the ruins during fall, it's not pleasant in other seasons.

108)construction amulet, lazy forager and thulecite armor give 2+ sanity and have no durability if used wisely

109)` DebugSpawn"pigking" if your map did not generate pig king

I feel like this list is like half trolls.  I hope any newbs out there can tell the difference. Or read far enough to see where people have pointed out the trolls.  Although, anyone who tries to kill the Charlie with a gold axe proably has it coming.

Actual useful part:

#?: if you find walrus camps before winter, do everything you can to surround them with about 3-4 pig houses.  The pigs will do the killing so you don't have to.  You will lose the meat unless you're there every three days or so to supervise the killings, but it's a great way to farm tam o' shanters, walrus tusks, blow darts and blue gems.  In my current game I was able to get a walking cane very early on, 3-4 tams, about 12 blow darts, and with the addition of what I found in graves and from hound waves through winter and spring was able to get enough blue gems to make snow chester before I even start my first summer.  Plus if you are willing to go there every three days it's a decent source of meat.

I feel like this list is like half trolls.  I hope any newbs out there can tell the difference. Or read far enough to see where people have pointed out the trolls.  Although, anyone who tries to kill the Charlie with a gold axe proably has it coming.

Actual useful part:

#?: if you find walrus camps before winter, do everything you can to surround them with about 3-4 pig houses.  The pigs will do the killing so you don't have to.  You will lose the meat unless you're there every three days or so to supervise the killings, but it's a great way to farm tam o' shanters, walrus tusks, blow darts and blue gems.  In my current game I was able to get a walking cane very early on, 3-4 tams, about 12 blow darts, and with the addition of what I found in graves and from hound waves through winter and spring was able to get enough blue gems to make snow chester before I even start my first summer.  Plus if you are willing to go there every three days it's a decent source of meat.

I like spider nests instead (fewer resources, but you have to find and take down tier 3 nests to replant there) and sometimes wall them in, but the same.

Archived