The Most Dangerous Game.

I got an idea for a game mode for DST. So there is this novel by Richard Connell called the most dangerous game and it´s got a really interesting concept, basically this rich big-game hunter lives on an tropical island where he captures lost sailors, so he can then release them into the jungle and hunt them down for sport. He gives his prey a supply of food, a knife, clothes and a three hour head start to hide and run away. 

I´ve seen this idea replicated in games such as Minecraft, but Don´t Starve I think would be the perfect game for this. One player would spawn with some food in his inventory and would have five minutes until the hunter spawns. The Hunter will have blow darts, armor and hounds (just like the book!) to help him hunt the other player down. 

It be cool to see this happen I feel. 

That could be decently fun actually, I really enjoyed the old film version of The Most Dangerous game and quite a few spinoffs of the story in cartoons (Anyone ever see the spinoff show from Dexter's Lab called Dial M for Monkey? It had an episode with a really similar plot with a character named Huntor. That was a good one).

One game that is long-dead multiplayer-wise, at least I think it is, but that I really enjoyed conceptually is called The Ship. It's basically a combination of Clue and The Most Dangerous Game on cruise ships. Everyone was hunting another player (their quarry) while simultaneously trying to avoid their hunters, all while managing Sims-like stats like hunger, thirst, cleanliness and hygiene, socialization, sleep, all of those kinds of things, so that players couldn't just hole themselves up and hide the whole game. It was actually a really neat concept for multiplayer, I wish it didn't die so fast. D: It even had a sequel planned but the Kickstarter didn't succeed and I haven't heard about it since.

But yeah, most of the mechanics of The Ship wouldn't quite fit into Don't Starve so well, as PvP is always going to be an issue, but a kind of "hunt the prey/evade the hunter (until you all get strong enough to overwhelm him/her)" game mode might be something cool to see in DST, and since I think there will be some form of mod support(?) maybe we'll be able to see some unique game modes like this even if Klei doesn't officially add any game modes aside from general multiplayer survival.

But yeah, neat concept, I can dig it. I especially like the idea of hounds, maybe players (both runners and the hunter him/herself) leave tracks they can cover up or ignore to get further or even trick the hunter, and the hounds will follow those tracks like bloodhounds. That would be cool. :grin:

EDIT: It could be called "MacTusk's Most Dangerous Game" or probably something a little more subtle and clever than I can come up with at the moment. XD Also the hunter is automatically equipped with the Tam o' Shanter and Walking Cane in addition to the blowdarts for that perfect Walrus-Huntsman look. :razz:

That could be decently fun actually, I really enjoyed the old film version of The Most Dangerous game and quite a few spinoffs of the story in cartoons (Anyone ever see the spinoff show from Dexter's Lab called Dial M for Monkey? It had an episode with a really similar plot with a character named Huntor. That was a good one).

One game that is long-dead multiplayer-wise, at least I think it is, but that I really enjoyed conceptually is called The Ship. It's basically a combination of Clue and The Most Dangerous Game on cruise ships. Everyone was hunting another player (their quarry) while simultaneously trying to avoid their hunters, all while managing Sims-like stats like hunger, thirst, cleanliness and hygiene, socialization, sleep, all of those kinds of things, so that players couldn't just hole themselves up and hide the whole game. It was actually a really neat concept for multiplayer, I wish it didn't die so fast. D: It even had a sequel planned but the Kickstarter didn't succeed and I haven't heard about it since.

But yeah, most of the mechanics of The Ship wouldn't quite fit into Don't Starve so well, as PvP is always going to be an issue, but a kind of "hunt the prey/evade the hunter (until you all get strong enough to overwhelm him/her)" game mode might be something cool to see in DST, and since I think there will be some form of mod support(?) maybe we'll be able to see some unique game modes like this even if Klei doesn't officially add any game modes aside from general multiplayer survival.

But yeah, neat concept, I can dig it. I especially like the idea of hounds, maybe players (both runners and the hunter him/herself) leave tracks they can cover up or ignore to get further or even trick the hunter, and the hounds will follow those tracks like bloodhounds. That would be cool. :grin:

EDIT: It could be called "MacTusk's Most Dangerous Game" or probably something a little more subtle and clever than I can come up with at the moment. XD Also the hunter is automatically equipped with the Tam o' Shanter and Walking Cane in addition to the blowdarts for that perfect Walrus-Huntsman look. :razz:

Agreed with everything above.

Perhaps players could play as MacTusk?  I mean, who doesnt want to be a killer walrus?

I want to be a killer walrus!

A... A Werewalrus!

New character mod: Woodie's Irish grandpa, fellow wearer of plaid clothing, fond of kilts, natural Hound whisperer, and carrier of an all too familiar curse. :p

I want this to exist so badly now! I need to learn how to create mods some day. Not particularly gifted with all those game dev programs though unfortunately. :(

A... A Werewalrus!

New character mod: Woodie's Irish grandpa, fellow wearer of plaid clothing, fond of kilts, natural Hound whisperer, and carrier of an all too familiar curse. :razz:

I want this to exist so badly now! I need to learn how to create mods some day. Not particularly gifted with all those game dev programs though unfortunately. :(

I'd think MacTusk would immune to sanity loss in the day, but it constantly drops at night, forcing them to return to the walrus camp at night.  Also, maybe a second player could control Wee MacTusk?  Having a weaker attack than his dad, he directs his hounds while his dad shoots blow darts and uses other weapons.

EDIT:  Also, two conditions to win, either survive until Spring/Summer, or kill the hunters ^_^.

A... A Werewalrus!

New character mod: Woodie's Irish grandpa, fellow wearer of plaid clothing, fond of kilts, natural Hound whisperer, and carrier of an all too familiar curse. :razz:

I'd think MacTusk would immune to sanity loss in the day, but it constantly drops at night, forcing them to return to the walrus camp at night.  Also, maybe a second player could control Wee MacTusk?  Having a weaker attack than his dad, he directs his hounds while his dad shoots blow darts and uses other weapons.

EDIT:  Also, two conditions to win, either survive until Spring/Summer, or kill the hunters ^_^.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35309-character-idea/

Oooh me likey, my only suggestion is that the prep time be shorter then five minutes, give the other players enhanced speed for say a minute or even 30 seconds and you can get pretty far. I dont think people would be willing to wait the 5 minutes as the game itself could take that long.

Also as maybe another way for the hunted to win, give each of them a teleporto piece, if they can construct the teleoporto and use it they win. But that means keeping everyone alive as dead people cant tell you where they dropped their piece as they'll probably be dead gone from the server dead, not ghost dead, and the hunter could camp it or something. I dont think the hunter should be allowed to pick it up though. Dunno, just a thought.

(say) Pal, you are being hunted.

I'd LOVE it if the hunter would actually play as MacTusk, he's perfect for the job and this way he will actually do what the winter teaser promised: A hunter that actively hunts you down, instead we got a territorial hunter who merely follows you...

Some random ideas:

- Killed players should drop their head, the hunter can make a hunting trophy out of it with some boards to display

- The hunted win when they assemble the teleportato and escape the island

- The hunter wins when they kill everyone (permanently)

- Traps for the hunter that deal damage (tooth traps, rigged berry bushes) or are non lethal (an alarm that provides an indicator when activated)

- The hunted cannot make advanced weapons so the hunter always has the upper hand, they can however still defend themselves 

- Hunter hp scales with amount of players

- Corpses last longer, so hey indicate where the players are

I'd imagine the hunted could run away from Mactusk effectively if they can fend off the hounds.  If they can't, they're easy pickings.

Also, perhaps if your hounds die, a new set will show up in 2 ingame days?  This makes it so if a player is bold enough to actually kill them and survive MacTusk in doing so, it rewards them with a bit of time without being harassed by the bloody things.  Also, on thinking that the game takes place in winter, they should at least spawn with some low-tier warmth items (or just negate warmth for this game for everyone).  And I'd imagine that they would spawn with their respective items, giving a harder challenge to Mactusk.  It should also create some really cool fight scenes, like Willow sees Mactusk, sets the forest on fire, and attempts to break for it, or a WX-78 that was upgraded by a few gears, making him a harder challenge.  By far Maxwell would be the hardest, Maxwell with the codex umbra and the night armor and sword could prove to be the hardest challenge.

I got an idea for a game mode for DST. So there is this novel by Richard Connell called the most dangerous game and it´s got a really interesting concept, basically this rich big-game hunter lives on an tropical island where he captures lost sailors, so he can then release them into the jungle and hunt them down for sport. He gives his prey a supply of food, a knife, clothes and a three hour head start to hide and run away. 

I´ve seen this idea replicated in games such as Minecraft, but Don´t Starve I think would be the perfect game for this. One player would spawn with some food in his inventory and would have five minutes until the hunter spawns. The Hunter will have blow darts, armor and hounds (just like the book!) to help him hunt the other player down. 

It be cool to see this happen I feel. 

OMG I remember that from english class! :D

By far out of any suggestion of gamemode, I see this being most likely, as it fits well into the game's atmosphere.  Plus, one could imagine the implications if mods could make playable gamemodes!  We could have all sorts of fun things like this, as long as a modder is willing.

This and the Hunger games are the best game modes for don't starve in my opinion, no one need capture the flag or deathmatch or wathever, we have those awesome ideas!

Also, the hunter win by killing the player... but how will the player win? He should kill the hunter or just survive as long as he can? Or maybe find all the things and use the teleportato?

This and the Hunger games are the best game modes for don't starve in my opinion, no one need capture the flag or deathmatch or wathever, we have those awesome ideas!

Also, the hunter win by killing the player... but how will the player win? He should kill the hunter or just survive as long as he can? Or maybe find all the things and use the teleportato?

There would be a few ways to win, I imagine, survive until the overly long winter is over, assemble the teleportato and escape, or kill the hunter.  Also, what would happen to players who die?  Wouldnt be much fun spectating, I imagine, perhaps they can turn into a critter of some sorts instead of a ghost?  Maybe even turn into a hound which randomly spawns somewhere?

There would be a few ways to win, I imagine, survive until the overly long winter is over, assemble the teleportato and escape, or kill the hunter.  Also, what would happen to players who die?  Wouldnt be much fun spectating, I imagine, perhaps they can turn into a critter of some sorts instead of a ghost?  Maybe even turn into a hound which randomly spawns somewhere?

I thought it was only the hunter and only one player, but with more player it would be fun if the hunter spawn with computer-controlled Hounds and when a player die it become a hound, so he can play against the other players with the hunter :D

I thought it was only the hunter and only one player, but with more player it would be fun if the hunter spawn with computer-controlled Hounds and when a player die it become a hound, so he can play against the other players with the hunter :grin:

Yeah, the idea would support a medium pool of players against 1 hunter.  Perhaps the first person killed becomes Wee Mctusk, and as others die, they become ice hounds?  This makes killing the hunter less compeling unless you find some friends.

Archived