Dec 12 Hotfix

Kevin

• Developer
Mine hasnt been fixed. Loaded my game up today and had 0 research point and its back to scratch. Nothing unlocked. why oh why :(

Unfortunately, your old points won't come back with the fix. If you earn new points do they stick around when you save and come back?

Hmmm... Theorizing here: Maybe different Krampus bags have different number of slots. I imagine Krampus will steal items until his backpack is full and then he will disappear. As Kevin just said, some are more greedy than others, and that could mean that some have larger bags than others.

Well, I haven't played the update yet (since I'm off home), so I'm speculating.

Wouldn't it be awesome if a drop from his was said large bag?

Wouldn't it be awesome if a drop from his was said large bag?

They indeed drop their bag! People were speculating it is a 1% chance of drop, and it works just like a backpack, but has 2 more slots.

It would indeed be nice if some bags had more than just two more slots than the standard backpack.

Do Tallbirds respawn now? Because I stole an egg and somehow the Tallbird attacked a beefalo and died, and when I went back to where the nest was, there was another Tallbird. So I killed that one and I'm going to see if it respawned.

Also, will Krampus fall asleep if you shoot him with a sleep dart? I want his drops (especially the bag) but I don't want him to take my stuff and vanish.

Get ready to sigh, because: I think it's too heavy a nerf!

Instead of making him easier across-the-board, I'd prefer to add ways to "deal with him", that require player knowledge.

1) I'd like there to be some way to prevent him from disappearing, so if you know the right tricks you don't have to worry about losing your stuff .

2) Instead of making him always target loose items before chests, why not have him target items semi-equally? That way, it's still possible to distract him with random junk if you purposefully strew enough of it around, but if you aren't doing it on purpose, Krampus won't be perpetually distracted by birds dropping seeds.

3) It can take a couple days of doing nothing but bunny-killing to goad Krampus out, when I want to fight him. That seems a little too infrequent to me.

Thank you for being so fast with this hotfix, of course! And thanks for being patient for the inevitable incessant balance arguments from the audience. Everyone who plays a beta wants is imagining a different completed game, and we'll all always argue based on what we want Don't Starve to become. But in the end, the only vision that should matter is what YOU want it to become, because you're the only ones who can picture the full arc of development. Don't be distracted by community wishes too often (such as with the research system, which some people have become too attached to).

The Krampus vanishes once his greed has been satisfied.
Hmmm... Theorizing here: Maybe different Krampus bags have different number of slots. I imagine Krampus will steal items until his backpack is full and then he will disappear..

Just a thought, and a strange first post...but considering Krampus' sack allows him to vanish and, ostensibly to teleport to safety, what if it gave the user the ability to, with maybe some sort of research or discovery, 'unlock' the potential of the sack and use it, say, once a week or every few days, to teleport to the nearest fire pit/"base"? Anyways, love the new updates as of late! As I huge fan of roguelikes and well...the like, I'm loving all these little additions that beat you up, kick you while you're down, spit on your face, roll you around in the mud, and then steal your girlfriend, all while looking delightfully early-Burtonesque :D Keep up the great work guys!

edit: If there is a better thread for this, lemme know. Just seemed the right place as the vanishing had come up a few times

Edited by Cvillain

Yes, Tallbirds do respawn now.

I do believe that Krampus will fall asleep if you shoot him with a sleep dart, but I can't confirm that right now (since I can't play the game right now because I'm off home).

Considering Tallbirds respawn now, do Beefalos? I live in the "savanna" biome to collect a lot of poop but my Beefalos wander off and get killed by tentacles and Tallbirds. Will they come back or will I be poopless forever?

The Krampus vanishes once his greed has been satisfied. All Krampuses are greedy, but some are more greedy than others.

If he's not going after backpacks at all, that's a bug. Dang it, I thought I tested that. Maybe it was after the push.

Anyway, backpacks won't be safe from Krampus in the long term, if they aren't already.

Finally got up my nerve to kill some bunnies and pigs on purpose to get Krampus to come after me. I put my extra backpack down (that holds all my loots from traveling) and start killing the pigs in their village. 2 krampus show up and I watched one of them swipe up my backpack off the ground! Was able to kill both and get it back. So no bug for my game.. lucky me =D

Do tentacles respawn now? my current map has like a miniswamp that is mostly grass anyway...

So far Krampi have caused alot of mess in my camp, but none has actually managed to permanently steal anything from me yet. Other then that im starting to feel a little nicer, so i increased my amount of farms. Tiz annoying dealing with Krampus every 2-3 days.

They indeed drop their bag! People were speculating it is a 1% chance of drop, and it works just like a backpack, but has 2 more slots.

It would indeed be nice if some bags had more than just two more slots than the standard backpack.

You really feel that it is 1% too, I have killed dozens of them now and still no sack. I am not givign up however.

Can someone please help me? ): Yesterday, I played from the beginning (a new world) Day 1 till Day 30+ (everything within that day) and then I quit after the morning save, then I logged out. Now when I wanna log in again, there's no 'continue', there's only 'new game'. WTF?! I was playing as Wolfgang and had collected lots of stuff!! OMG WHY WHY can someone help me please? Why did this awful thing happen? How can I recover my game?

I lost everything that I had researched (which was almost everything in the game) Kinda feel like crying :'(

Will I have lost my XP too?

Oh damn that sucks, try a new game and see if you can still choose or only have Wilson unlocked.

On the flip side of things, it does mean you could try the jump to Steam you wanted to make some day.

I could care less about the research as it can be accumulated pretty quickly, but losing all the xp and unlocked characters, that is too much. I just wanted to unlock the last character and try it out, but now that I lost all the previous experience I no longer see the point. I can't believe you don't back up your server data to do a roll-back. Very very disappointed. Feels like such a waste of time and money.

Edited by Xaradox

I could care less about the research as it can be accumulated pretty quickly, but losing all the xp and unlocked characters, that is too much. I just wanted to unlock the last character and try it out, but now that I lost all the previous experience I no longer see the point. I can't believe you don't back up your server data to do a roll-back. Very very disappointed. Feels like such a waste of time and money.

Your profile data isnt stored on anyones server. Its stored (in Chrome) in your local storage or by Steam on the Cloud save system. The issue is based only on the Chrome version and the data is being lost from your computer, not a server.

Your profile data isnt stored on anyones server. Its stored (in Chrome) in your local storage or by Steam on the Cloud save system. The issue is based only on the Chrome version and the data is being lost from your computer, not a server.

So how can my profile data be lost from my storage by a fault in the update? Shouldn't it still be there then?