Dec 12 Hotfix

Kevin

• Developer

Here's a quick hotfix to address some bugs and do some tuning:

Bug fixes:

• Profile saving should work again on Chrome. Unfortunately, there's no way to get back any data that was lost to the bug while it was live.
  • The 1% phantom trap issue should be fixed.
  • There is a workaround available for those having trouble starting up with low-memory video cards (see below)

Tuning:

• Krampus comes a little less frequently, and in smaller numbers.
  • Krampus will start to forgive naughtiness if you aren't naughty for a while. So you can still kill lots of bunnies with impunity if you pace yourself and diversify your food sources.
  • Krampus will target loose items on the ground before going after chests.
  • Krampus runs a little slower.

Here is the workaround, straight from the mouth of the mighty JLK:

To anyone who is having trouble starting the game after the previous update, especially of you're on a GMA3100:

Our game is very texture heavy due to the animation style we use. As a result we have a minimum system requirement of 256 megs of memory.

Previously, it was possible to get away with significantly less than this amount of memory but the game continues to grow and it will only get bigger for the foreseeable future.

If your computer allows you to adjust the amount of memory shared with your GPU then you might want to try allocating more memory to it. I'm told this may be possible with the GMA3100 in particular but we don't have one so I can't test it.

As a temporary workaround, if you edit or create ~\steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\settings.ini you can now add an option to the [graphics] section called "use_small_textures=true".

This will stop loading the largest mip of all textures that have multiple mips and so reduce the texture usage by a sizeable amount.

Unfortunately, it does mean the game will appear blurrier to people using this option but it should allow you to run for a little while.

Yeah! It does not make sense if he ignores the backpack but steals your stuff lying around....

Krampus should collects all things lying around much faster than the stuff in the chests and prefer collecting backpacks. He should also prefer collecting backpacks/chests with more/better stuff in it first. Otherwise you could just drop some useless stuff on the ground or put it in the chest to bait him.

Would be very evil to add that they can pick up backpacks too :p

(Do it ;))

This might cause a slight problem on the developing side.

Its not just the item backpack, its gotta take the entire inventory of the backpack too, and remember which backpack with which loot it picked up, and remember it all so you can also get it all back properly once you kill him.

So it might be an idea to implement, but i'm not sure if its that easy. Depends on how the inventory of Krampus works, and how backpacks and stuff works.

Or it might work already, i Don't know :p

I'm pretty sure Krampus will go after a backpack if he fancies it. Dude's a bit hard to predict sometimes.

Might have to do some testing on this.

I'm pretty sure Krampus will go after a backpack if he fancies it. Dude's a bit hard to predict sometimes.

So far when Krampus or multiple Krampii showed up,they did not go for a backpack at all.He can however swoop it off the ground if there is a loose item nearby,at least that was the only instance a backpack got stolen by him.Based on 7 different Krampus encounters so far,dunno if entirely reliable though :p

• Developer

The Krampus vanishes once his greed has been satisfied. All Krampuses are greedy, but some are more greedy than others.

If he's not going after backpacks at all, that's a bug. Dang it, I thought I tested that. Maybe it was after the push.

Anyway, backpacks won't be safe from Krampus in the long term, if they aren't already.

Hmmm... Theorizing here: Maybe different Krampus bags have different number of slots. I imagine Krampus will steal items until his backpack is full and then he will disappear. As Kevin just said, some are more greedy than others, and that could mean that some have larger bags than others.

Well, I haven't played the update yet (since I'm off home), so I'm speculating.