The Community

LoL

MineCraft

Rust (Never actually played it but heard alot about)

These games have what in common?

Communites full of griefers, spammers, trolls, braggers, and overall people who destroy the fun of everything and anything that they possible can.

How did this happen?

People started kind and turned foul.

This is because NO ONE wanted to work together.

No one wanted to be in a group with that noob who didn't know what to do for winter.

Hatrid took over.

What can we do?

I say start kind, stay kind, and people may just be kind back.

SAVE THE COMMUNITY!

Woah woah now, hold your horses! Just because the community in those games is a toxic one (LoL definately has the most sh*tty community I have ever seen on the internets), doesn't mean this one will be also. Of course, there will always be griefers. Whether you're playing in a game with or without PvP enabled, griefers will always find their way. One way to combat/nullify this is to play with people you know won't grief.

So have a little bit of faith and stay kind, chances are you get kindness in return.

PS: LoL is a competitive game, and therefor is more prone to griefing and all the other nastyness. Rust is a survival game with fellow players, where you can actually fight over the resources (aka a motivation to embrace your inner griefer). And Minecraft is just filled with things that are supposed to annoy or cause irritation i. e. lava.

Play with people on your friends list or moderated servers and problem solved. Or play TF2, there is no line between trolling and actually playing in that game, its just fun for everyone.

....What does this have to do with DST? Ok greifers, play on a disabled PvP server. They found a way around that? Well vote kick them or leave the sever. You can create your own servers for you and your friends so itd be really easy to avoid all that, max amount of players would only really be around 4 or 6 or something very small. Very easy to fill with people you can trust. No doubt there will be modded servers too for things like RP and different game modes. Go find somewhere that works for you and has rules that you can agree with. Really simple.

There will always be "that guy" but you still have a lot you can do to avoid and protect against that. Take matters into your own hands and dont expect everyone else to solve the problems for you, because that never really works.

It's bound to happen with any online community. You could make a software "unhackable" and people will still hack it. 

Some people get their kicks playing fairly, others don't. I've seen in any online game I've played, from Worms to Tf2. You either try and votekick them (rarely works) or just change servers.

I think as far as DS:T goes, you're best off just playing with friends. I know I personally probably won't be playing with randomers. 

i started lol pretty much on release, and the community wasnt kind at all even then.

I'm hopeful though, that dont starve community will be much better. For a start, i think most games will probably be fairly small scale affairs played amongst friends. And also, we have a great community here to build from.. LoLs community was built from dotas community as far as i can tell, and that was already pretty horrid. You only need to look at these forums compared to the forums of other games and you'll notice a stark contrast.

I think theres a very real chance that it could remain nice despite multiplayer.

Oh and i'm not really against greifing soo much... i actually cant wait to spread some tentacle love around someones firepit :razz: But this is klei.. the one thing i'm certain will be included with DST is lots of options for customizing your game.

Or play TF2, there is no line between trolling and actually playing in that game, its just fun for everyone.

Have you ever had a teleporter lead you off a cliff? Beware the trollgineer.

TF2 is still really fun, though.

Have you ever had a teleporter lead you off a cliff? Beware the trollgineer.

TF2 is still really fun, though.

Oh man. One guy would literally just do the laugh taunt any time someone came through his, as it didn't even kill you, it just put you back to the first spawn and you had to run all the way back to the spawn you spawned in and then some just to be at the battle lines. Harmless yet effective annoyance it was. 

Sometimes it's in good fun. Sometimes it's teethgrindingly annoying. :(

A big difference between Don't Starve and those other games is that DS started with and will continue the have the strongest single player mode.  That already has drawn in a set of different minded players (potentially nicer).  Most of the online interactions are bound to be between friends and forum users anyway.  Anyone should be weary when playing with randoms, but if the bulk of the griefing/trolling ends up being players hatching dastardly schemes on each other then straight up berating then I think we'll be ok.

To be honest, just play with your friend is the best way to escape from those trolls. But in my opinion I think that you will not see any of troll in this game because this game is tough, and You think that they can make it?Most of troll are newbie as you said, "Noob" so don't worry you might kill them easier :)

To be honest, just play with your friend is the best way to escape from those trolls. But in my opinion I think that you will not see any of troll in this game because this game is tough, and You think that they can make it?Most of troll are newbie as you said, "Noob" so don't worry you might kill them easier :)

Sounds like a challenge, amigo. ;)

I think everyone is assuming that the DS forum community is the example for ALL of the community.

There are nice people on DayZ, Minecraft, Rust, and even LoL forums that can be seen as regulars. But these games have thousands/millions of people playing. And thousands/millions of people aren't currently using this forum. Thus, may not reflect the perceived 'forum community standard'

I expect shitty community members, but I hope that there are few of them. I've seen some first hand examples of horrible people who also play Don't Starve.

Also, password protected servers. We should just post a forum shared password so that anyone who actually goes on the forums would be able to access specialty servers. Then we can all act like the community master race and look down upon all other players with disgust.

Unfortunately, the posting public of a game makes up a small percentage (think at most around 5%) of the total game-playing community. DS included. 

Saying "stay nice" is no guarantee that users will do so. That must be done by vigilance and policing when self-governance fails. 

Online bullying/griefing style is not going to be approved or tolerated by me and I'll simply leave/report unsanctioned actions in a cooperative game should the user persistently act like that when the other players ask them to stop and they don't. 

And if it gets too extreme for public games, we can arrange private games with players we know and trust.

No matter what, I hope to play a lot of co-op with you all and (maybe) some PvP.

Archived