Where are the Treeguards?

So I'm on day 50 (RoG) and I've been trying for several days now to "summon" a Treeguard. Each day I've cut about 6-7 adult trees in a row, to no avail.  Around day 30ish or so I remember I saw one. And that's the only one I've seen since then.  I haven't played in a while, but I do remember them being way more frequent... Have their spawn rates been nerfed? Or... Am I missing something?

Best way I found to get some to spawn is to plant a bunch... 40 to 60. Let them become full grown or almost. Get pigmen to help you chop them down. I can usually get about a quarter of the way chopping them down before I get Treeguards to spawn. But, when I want them, I don't get them. When I don't, they're everywhere!!

You need to cut a lot trees two consecutive days days, with 5 pigs. I think that after day 50, they can spawn from any size trees, so cut them all.

I use a old bell to cut 80 tress in one stomp; like I do it every 10 days or more, then I never got a treeguard. You need to cut every day. Also, if you plant one or more pine cones, then the treeguard won't spawn.

@JYM Not quite, pinecones calm the leifs down again, they don't prevent spawning. I think they spawn at random tree chopping, although I am not sure on that one, since there is no direct path to the responsible code from their code.

@JYM Not quite, pinecones calm the leifs down again, they don't prevent spawning. I think they spawn at random tree chopping, although I am not sure on that one, since there is no direct path to the responsible code from their code.

Sorry, you're right. Pinecones don't prevent, spawning. I just checked some information.

Treeguards have a 1.33% chance to spawn cutting down any size tree. They spawn from big evergreen or lumpy trees before day 80, so they spawn from any size evergreen or lumpy trees from day 80. Therefore, if you are cutting down just big trees before day 80, then you are preventing their spawning. You need to cut down first the small ones nearby big ones,

The best way to spawn a treeguard is start cutting down trees from the center of the forest, so every big tree around will have a 1.33% chance to become a treeguard. The spider's forest biome is good option, because it is a dense forest. Also, you can plant pine cones close to each other and make a dense forest.

Sorry, you're right. Pinecones don't prevent, spawning. I just checked some information.

Treeguards have a 1.33% chance to spawn cutting down any size tree. They spawn from big evergreen or lumpy trees before day 80, so they spawn from any size evergreen or lumpy trees from day 80. Therefore, if you are cutting down just big trees before day 80, then you are preventing their spawning. You need to cut down first the small ones nearby big ones,

The best way to spawn a treeguard is start cutting down trees from the center of the forest, so every big tree around will have a 1.33% chance to become a treeguard. The spider's forest biome is good option, because it is a dense forest. Also, you can plant pine cones close to each other and make a dense forest.

Wow!!! 1.33%??? No wonder I'm having so much trouble finding them... And I remember a while ago someone saying that as you get farther in the game, they become more frequent. Did they change this mechanic, or may it have been just a rumor?

I accidentally found an easy way to spawn loads of Treeguards and kill them at the same time.

Just lead Bearger to any forest, his AOE attacks will destroy huge numbers of trees, leaving free logs and pinecones everywhere.

He also seems to have an abnormally high chance of spawning large numbers of Treeguards when he destroys trees.

The Treeguards and Bearger will then proceed to kill each other, giving you the loot from both, and little to no sanity drain or armor/health damage.

Bearger is also great for destroying big clusters of killer bee hives.

So I'm on day 50 (RoG) and I've been trying for several days now to "summon" a Treeguard. Each day I've cut about 6-7 adult trees in a row, to no avail.  Around day 30ish or so I remember I saw one. And that's the only one I've seen since then.  I haven't played in a while, but I do remember them being way more frequent... Have their spawn rates been nerfed? Or... Am I missing something?

You'd probably have a lot more luck with birchnut treeguards, they spawn much more often than regular treeguards.

I accidentally found an easy way to spawn loads of Treeguards and kill them at the same time.

Just lead Bearger to any forest, his AOE attacks will destroy huge numbers of trees, leaving free logs and pinecones everywhere.

He also seems to have an abnormally high chance of spawning large numbers of Treeguards when he destroys trees.

The Treeguards and Bearger will then proceed to kill each other, giving you the loot from both, and little to no sanity drain or armor/health damage.

Bearger is also great for destroying big clusters of killer bee hives.

Wow, sounds like a good plan.  I'll give it a shot, thanks!

You'd probably have a lot more luck with birchnut treeguards, they spawn much more often than regular treeguards.

You know, I almost always forgot about those, and how they can also give you Living Logs.  Time to go birchnut tree-hunting.

Alright what you need to do is to pretend you are not looking for them.  Than just say you are getting firewood, and then chop down lots of trees.  Also make sure not to jinx yourself.  This worked for me.  When I was trying to find them, none were there.  When I tried not to find them (After all my armor was gone and I had only an axe with me)  A herd of them came.

Wow!!! 1.33%??? No wonder I'm having so much trouble finding them... And I remember a while ago someone saying that as you get farther in the game, they become more frequent. Did they change this mechanic, or may it have been just a rumor?

You may say that the probability increased at day 80, because every size can become a treeguard. Beside that, the probability won't increse, just the number of treeguards that spawn by a fallen tree.

Wow, sounds like a good plan.  I'll give it a shot, thanks!

You know, I almost always forgot about those, and how they can also give you Living Logs.  Time to go birchnut tree-hunting.

Yes, is a good plan, but sometimes it don't work. Also you may use the Clokwork Rook in the same way.

You can defeat easily 15 poison birchnut with a weather pain.

You may say that the probability increased at day 80, because every size can become a treeguard. Beside that, the probability won't increse, just the number of treeguards that spawn by a fallen tree.

Yes, is a good plan, but sometimes it don't work. Also you may use the Clokwork Rook in the same way.

You can defeat easily 15 poison birchnut with a weather pain.

Okay thanks. Guess I'll have to reach day 80 first! These summers are tough ;)

Archived