What were the old mechanics like?

The game has had updates for ages and I've heard and read of different stuff that has been changed now and is not anymore in place. So I am curious of what old mechanics and other stuff was there! Like the gnome for example, I've heard was used for science machine and/or gave you sanity before etc. So is that true, if so how did it all work?

If you have been in this game for a really long time and know some old mechanics that no longer are in game, please tell! I'm really curious of what did what in the old game's betas and stuff.

Research points.

If you gave anything (not talking about the teleportato parts here) to a science machine or something you get these points. From what i remember the item is consumed and each item gives a different amount.

I don't exactly remember what you used them for, but i believe that you used them for creating new things for the first time. It eventually got taken out.

I don't think the gnomes really did anything outside of being something to give the pig king for gold.

This is one of my oldest screenshots, taken right before the upate that added hounds, I believe. I had probably only been playing for a week at most. At that point, gobblers were the newest addition.

fHT3PYA.jpg

Back then, people made walls out of trees (it didn't too take long for that to get patched out, though) and the AI had no pathing so enemies would just run straight into the trees instead of trying to go around to the opening. Pretty much everyone was making tree walls around their bases in anticipation of hounds. :razz:

Don't Starve was pretty simple back then. No sanity, no freezing, no winter, no spoiling, plants didn't need fertilized, and no penalty for having multiple effigies. Most threats, especially of the environmental sort, just didn't exist yet. Once you got a base up and running, you were set for life.

I think the game is better now, but it was nice not having to micromanage everything. You could grab some food for the day without fear of it spoiling, head out to your pig village without fear of hounds suddenly attacking, and spend a day just screwing around and having fun.

Admittedly, it wasn't the intention of the game, but it was still a simpler age. Now all my pigs are usually dead most of the time. 

Also, remember cave update? Time was freeze there. I take with me stack of grass.There was only 4 grass in whole cave... i make shadow manipulator there. Farm food with bunnies... kill slurtles... make meat effugy... it actually looks like old time... 

Guys, remember "All well, that's Maxwell" update? OMG, we do not need to worry about the fact that our chests can burn! Or about heat and rain! It looks incredible now!

I got the game after the Long Live the Queen update. After the Spoiled Rotten update, I took a break from the game for a few months and came back after the Insanity update. I thought the sanity meter was the new research point meter and I didn't understand why it seemed to be rising and lowering randomly.

A few things I remember:

• If you died, you had the option to regen the same exact world and start over
  • Log Suit would give 100% damage protection until worn out
  • The tent would allow you to change your character anytime in any world
  • The crafting recipe for the Dark Sword used to be 1 twig and some nightmare fuel.
  • Max sanity used to be 100 instead of 200
  • Max base health used to be 100 instead of 150
  • Wes was unlocked with XP

A few things I remember:

• If you died, you had the option to regen the same exact world and start over

I remember this! I mustve died and restarted the same world over 6-7 times. It was actually really helpful for me as a new player to learn the game. 

There was a time where pigs didn't kite, gobblers didn't yet exist, and clothing like the top hat didn't have durability.

There was a time where food items like honey healed a considerable amount of health, the island was broken up into circular island biomes connected by cobblestone land bridges, and the pelontrix roamed free.

I remember getting to day 20 once by just living off of seeds birds would drop.

Yup. Times were simpler (and far more exploitable) back then. :razz:

Now, I just bring some rock lobsters to the tallbird fort, burn down half the nests and make a base out of it. Constant food supply, and plenty of rocks to feed my rock lobster friends.

Back then, we had bridge-linked round islands. I didn't like it. It was very time-consuming getting around. Don't have a screencap of those to show you but, later on, the islands became one big land mass made up of circles of land. It was... kind of cute.

skinnystarvemap365days-2.jpg

Now that I'm looking at the map again,  I remember the pile of infinite poop bug. It was scary. Every time Willow/Wilson (this was back in the day when you could change characters in the game simply by using the tent) walked past it, my screen trembled and shook.

:wilson_shocked:

I think the game is better now, but it was nice not having to micromanage everything. 

Actually this isn't true. The crafting requriements used to be thrown together, so it cost people a insane amount of grass. The giant grass farms broke when they needed to be fertilized in a later update.

Research points.

If you gave anything (not talking about the teleportato parts here) to a science machine or something you get these points. From what i remember the item is consumed and each item gives a different amount.

I don't exactly remember what you used them for, but i believe that you used them for creating new things for the first time. It eventually got taken out.

You used the research points to unlock recipes so you could craft them. Pretty ridiculous system the research points, because unlocked recipes and research points went across all saves, there was absolutely no reason to build a science machine if you had enough research points and unlocked recipes already. All you had to do to get a tonne of research points was collect everything and throw it in the science machine, especially gravedigger items, they worked a treat from what i remember.

Archived