How to go vegetarian in winter?

My guess would be grow as much as you can during the growing seasons and mass stockpile it in your fridge. 

I've never actually tried this to see how long they would last. 

I suppose you could also transplant as many berry bushes as you can closer to your base so you don't have to wander as far when you start running out. 

Stockpile honey in fridge, I have ran vegetarian before and this is usually what I do. There is a few mods out there that adds greenhouses that allows you to grow food for the cases you want to run a really long winter.

Get a birdcage before winter so that when you get a Dragonfruit, you can feed it to the bird and get more Dragonfruit seeds. You can have all your farms filled with Dragonfruits. Just make sure to pick them as you need them; they don't spoil whilst on the farm plot, but do so very quickly when picked. 

Don't forget. When you are far from your bee boxes they will produce one honey per day, even during winter. But will you be reckless enough to go away from your camp just to have some honey?

You could plant them far away, but how far is "far away"? I actually want to know this even if just an estimate.

Kill bunnymen and take their carrots!

Vegetarian challenge is not just about eating fruit & vegetables. Vegetarians don't kill bunnymen because they drop meat. I know that they drop carrots too. But I think people go vegetarian because they can't stand the "killing of farm animals" to make food out of them. So if you kill any bunnymen for food (even if you just want the carrots) that's not vegetarian. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not a vegetarian and I never tried the vegetarian challenge before.

Vegetarian challenge is not just about eating fruit & vegetables. Vegetarians don't kill bunnymen because they drop meat. I know that they drop carrots too. But I think people go vegetarian because they can't stand the "killing of farm animals" to make food out of them. So if you kill any bunnymen for food (even if you just want the carrots) that's not vegetarian. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not a vegetarian and I never tried the vegetarian challenge before.

I would agree with you.

But what about farming spiders and feeding the monster meat to the bird for eggs?  I understand eggs are not strictly vegetarian, but would any of you do that?

I would agree with you.

But what about farming spiders and feeding the monster meat to the bird for eggs?  I understand eggs are not strictly vegetarian, but would any of you do that?

Vegetarian don't kill for meat. Use Leafy Meat from Lure Plant to feed the bird for eggs. I don't know if there's a better way to get meat without killing creatures. From the wiki Leafy Meat is considered meat, but we can take the meat without killing it (unequip weapon first). Vegetarians should start a Lure Plant farms. They don't grow eyeplants on rocky turf right?

Vegetarian don't kill for meat. Use Leafy Meat from Lure Plant to feed the bird for eggs. I don't know if there's a better way to get meat without killing creatures. From the wiki Leafy Meat is considered meat, but we can take the meat without killing it (unequip weapon first). Vegetarians should start a Lure Plant farms. They don't grow eyeplants on rocky turf right?

no, vege don't EAT meat,  and leafy meat is simili-meat but is veg, soi think it's good idea

no, vege don't EAT meat,  and leafy meat is simili-meat but is veg, soi think it's good idea

You're right. What I'm saying is we can use Leafy Meat for substitute in case we need to use meat for something (like getting eggs from birds) when trying the vegetarian challenge. That will make you and your birds vegetarian. I'm interested in trying the vegetarian challenge too. Wish me luck in not starving guys.

And another question... If a vegetarian in real life is in a cold winter, starving and almost die from it and the only food available is meat. Will he eat that meat to save his life? Or he rather choose death than eating meat? I hope a true vegetarian can answer this. And sorry for getting off-topic here

You're right. What I'm saying is we can use Leafy Meat for substitute in case we need to use meat for something (like getting eggs from birds) when trying the vegetarian challenge. That will make you and your birds vegetarian. I'm interested in trying the vegetarian challenge too. Wish me luck in not starving guys.

And another question... If a vegetarian in real life is in a cold winter, starving and almost die from it and the only food available is meat. Will he eat that meat to save his life? Or he rather choose death than eating meat? I hope a true vegetarian can answer this. And sorry for getting off-topic here

i think a vege will eat this(cause SOME(NOT all of them) veg eat fish but it's meat :/, it's like hypocrisis but i'm not here for judging) but a vegan won't i think(as a veggie starver)...

In winter a lure plant farm won't work. Also strictly vegetarians don't eat anything that comes from an animal, like milk and honey. I think the farm of dragon fruit is the best option, using the 1 dragon fruit, and 3 twigs recipe. In summer you can survive eating cactus flesh, and cactus flower, they regrow after 3 days.

In winter a lure plant farm won't work. Also strictly vegetarians don't eat anything that comes from an animal, like milk and honey. I think the farm of dragon fruit is the best option, using the 1 dragon fruit, and 3 twigs recipe. In summer you can survive eating cactus flesh, and cactus flower, they regrow after 3 days.

Getting back to the topic, I agree that a big farm of dragon fruit can save a vegetarian's life in winter (by making Dragonpies) but how many farms of dragon fruit we need to not starve winter? Will the 1 dragon fruit + 3 twigs work in Reign of Giants? I keep getting Wet Goop using 3 twigs for dragonpies

Getting back to the topic, I agree that a big farm of dragon fruit can save a vegetarian's life in winter (by making Dragonpies) but how many farms of dragon fruit we need to not starve winter? Will the 1 dragon fruit + 3 twigs work in Reign of Giants? I keep getting Wet Goop using 3 twigs for dragonpies

They nerfed usage of Twigs in crock pot. I think more than 1 twig will always result in Wet Goop now(

They nerfed usage of Twigs in crock pot. I think more than 1 twig will always result in Wet Goop now

I like the way it is now. Because using 3 twigs to cook Dragonpie is too OP. Making the game easy to not starve since twigs do not spoil. I always use mushrooms and berries as filler for my Dragonpies. Its more challenging and challenge is fun.

Archived