We need more seasonal creatures.

This is probably not going to happen, but I wish more creatures were added to the game. The biomes feel kind of empty, in all honestly.

Here's some season-related creatures I can think of:

• Locusts (perfect for a feisty summer day)
  • Owls (we all need a little hoot in our lives)
  • Crocodiles (swampy and lumpy) 
  • Porcupines (better than those pesky slurtles) 
  • Snakes (natural predator of players) 
  • Dolphins (because why not) 
  • Jelly Fishes (delicious but not quite)
  • Unicorn (flourishes in the moonlight) 

I know most creatures in Don't Starve are hybrids of different animals, so let me try putting these together..

Porcudiles, Dolphicorns, Jelly Fowls, Locustnakes.. Wow, this is really weird.

This is probably not going to happen, but I wish more creatures were added to the game. The biomes feel kind of empty, in all honestly.

I know most creatures in Don't Starve are hybrids of different animals, so let me try putting these together..

Porcudiles, Dolphicorns, Jelly Fowls, Locustnakes.. Wow, this is really weird.

I can say why not but I don't see unicorns,Dolphins,Jelly Fshes and Crocodiles,Owls in Don't Starve !

Dolphins are in the sea and right now we can't do anything with it except it's the end of the world map .

At least snakes can be good but they are moving too much and if by mesaventure they come into our camp it will be a big problem ! Even if they have poison . And crocodiles? That sounds funny but the swamp is already taken by tentacles,merms and spiders.I have enough problems with them to face another one with crocodiles and what they will give us? Scales ? Meats?

Dolphins are in the sea and right now we can't do anything with it except it's the end of the world map .

At least snakes can be good but they are moving too much and if by mesaventure they come into our camp it will be a big problem ! Even if they have poison . And crocodiles? That sounds funny but the swamp is already taken by tentacles,merms and spiders.I have enough problems with them to face another one with crocodiles and what they will give us? Scales ? Meats?

@mizukisha

This is a secret.. Alright? Did you know, that dolphins can walk? Shhhhshshhh!..

It's a secret to everybody!

With the addition of snakes, there would definitely be the introduction of diseases/poison. The concept was mentioned by the Devs few months ago, I hope they pick that idea up for the next expansion. Disease/poison would make the healing items way more useful, since most people don't bother to craft these healing items.

I'm pretty sure desert crocodiles exist. They would fit well with the desert biome, considering how spaced out everything is. The desert biome is the most boring biome, in my opinion. Crocodile scales should be used to craft cooling equipments!

I can say why not but I don't see unicorns,Dolphins,Jelly Fshes and Crocodiles,Owls in Don't Starve !

Why not unicorns?

@mizukisha

This is a secret.. Alright? Did you know, that dolphins can walk? Shhhhshshhh!..

With the addition of snakes, there would definitely be the introduction of diseases/poison. The concept was mentioned by the Devs few months ago, I hope they pick that idea up for the next expansion. Disease/poison would make the healing items way more useful, since most people don't bother to craft these healing items.

I'm pretty sure desert crocodiles exist. They would fit well with the desert biome, considering how spaced out everything is. The desert biome is the most boring biome, in my opinion. Crocodile scales should be used to craft cooling equipments!

What about the other things like unicorn and Owls etc? They maybe said that they will add that kind of things too?

An unicorn is a tale for childrens,So I don't see why it will appear in the game !

About the poison/disease and the healing things,that really sound bad to me because imagine if someone go in the swamp where snakes are located and is attacked by one,taadaa,poisoned ! He will die slowly because he don't have a healing item.and for finish the crocodile scales there is already a dragonfly armor,or maybe if the crocodile have a chance of drop for the scale it will be good,like 12% like the hound teeth ! It will be good and I can agree with that :)

Because it's a survival game !Don't kill poor creatures like unicorns ! They are so beautiful ! That make no sense if I see an unicorn on the game I'll die XD ! What do you want to do with an unicorn? A magical flute with the horn? XD

Because it's a survival game !Don't kill poor creatures like unicorns ! They are so beautiful ! That make no sense if I see an unicorn on the game I'll die XD ! What do you want to do with an unicorn? A magical flute with the horn? XD

Ok, it have sense. But i still want unicorns in this game.

Ok, it have sense. But i still want unicorns in this game.

Yeah, me too. I would like to have unicorns in this game. I heard unicorn blood is a good way to stay alive. Seriously though, the whole "unicorns are for children" thing is ridiculous. Unicorns have been talked about since the Medieval times, and I find it stupid that people are looking down upon this legendary animal just because there's some girly TV shows about it. Sorry for ranting about this, I just value human culture a lot.

In Scottish legends unicorns were considered very dangerous and vicious beasts. Therefore you can see a chain around the neck of a unicorn in the British coat of arms - it was thought that the unicorn needs to be bound, because it is very dangerous (more dangerous than the lion apparently, as the lion does not have any chain in that coat of arms).

In Scottish legends unicorns were considered very dangerous and vicious beasts. Therefore you can see a chain around the neck of a unicorn in the British coat of arms - it was thought that the unicorn needs to be bound, because it is very dangerous (more dangerous than the lion apparently, as the lion does not have any chain in that coat of arms).

Hells yeah.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/scottish-fact-of-the-week-scotland-s-official-animal-the-unicorn-1-2564399

I didn't know until I looked up what you said. We Scots are weird. LOL.

Locusts: yes! Folks have been wanting a summer-specific mob... here ya go! They eat your plants and crops. Not sure what loot they drop, but I really like this suggestion.

Owls: fun! There are in-game owl hoots occasionally, it'd be fun to have them added. They drop feathers, of course. What else? Maybe there'd be a way to catch them, like we do with birds, and we could post them out at our bases to combat the locusts.

Crocodiles: I assume they would spawn in the swamp, although I saw you replied later mentioning the desert also. How does their mechanic work? Duplication of the pengull spawn could do I suppose. You mentioned crafting cooling equipment from their scales, what about another type of armor?

Porcupines: awww, I love the idea of them, just not sure what they would do.

Snakes: another natural enemy in the desert, I approve. They guarantee a small meat drop, and have a chance of dropping venom, teeth (unique to them), and skin. Venom, teeth, and reeds combine to make a poison dart. Their skin can be crafted (with some other stuff) into minimal/moderate rain gear?

Dolphins/Jellyfish: well, we don't have usable ocean/water at this point, so Dolphins and Jellyfish are off the table. If we did have usable ocean/water, not sure of the purpose of Dolphins. What are your thoughts with them? Jellyfish could be fun though. Waves periodically crash along the shore, flinging variable numbers of them out at you. They stick to you like Slurpers, draining your health and sanity while attached.

Unicorns: no. Just no.

You're my new favorite forum member.

you really want more seasonal monsters? really? winter : ice spider warrior(when attacks, freeze a bit(like deerclops who take 2 hits but more like 6 hits)), snow rabbits(already existing but drop rabbit turfs),snow fox(eat your meats and act like krampus),you liked tallbird, then you will have ice spirit(instead of ghost) wich act like ghost(no really?) and freeze...

spring: merm moon(spawn lots of walking dolphins  merms that are angry!), eyebrella(v3 the monster!) act like a tallbird but has a pretty cool frilled-neck and wets you a lot, killer queen(like spiderqueen but with killer bee nest :D), black frog(shadow monster that spawn during rain and each hit make you lose sanity(and no life))

summer: salamander(when you broke boulders(rocky like, deserts boulders) are burning things and eat nitre, act like glou-glou(or turkey)),charcabomination( when something burn, like treeguard for spawning, are tough and burning them will make them have a ranged attack, 10* more chances to instant burn from summer), fire owls(make nests on burned spiky trees, no idea of utility...)

autumn: the most peaceful season for now! , giant bat(mre tougher, like warg...for bats!Na na na na giant bat!), bear(spawn instead of warg, destroy all the beehives and have a very good armor for beedarts), mouse(steal your chests and eat pine cone and birchnuts) , and for the caves : fake light bulb(do you know the warg? do you know the depth worm? then ........EAT THIS NATUREPLAYER!)

I don't have much and original ideas but i like them even if it will be horrible...

you really want more seasonal monsters? really? winter : ice spider warrior(when attacks, freeze a bit(like deerclops who take 2 hits but more like 6 hits)), snow rabbits(already existing but drop rabbit turfs),snow fox(eat your meats and act like krampus),you liked tallbird, then you will have ice spirit(instead of ghost) wich act like ghost(no really?) and freeze...

spring: merm moon(spawn lots of walking dolphins  merms that are angry!), eyebrella(v3 the monster!) act like a tallbird but has a pretty cool frilled-neck and wets you a lot, killer queen(like spiderqueen but with killer bee nest :grin:), black frog(shadow monster that spawn during rain and each hit make you lose sanity(and no life))

summer: salamander(when you broke boulders(rocky like, deserts boulders) are burning things and eat nitre, act like glou-glou(or turkey)),charcabomination( when something burn, like treeguard for spawning, are tough and burning them will make them have a ranged attack, 10* more chances to instant burn from summer), fire owls(make nests on burned spiky trees, no idea of utility...)

autumn: the most peaceful season for now! , giant bat(mre tougher, like warg...for bats!Na na na na giant bat!), bear(spawn instead of warg, destroy all the beehives and have a very good armor for beedarts), mouse(steal your chests and eat pine cone and birchnuts) , and for the caves : fake light bulb(do you know the warg? do you know the depth worm? then ........EAT THIS NATUREPLAYER!)

I don't have much and original ideas but i like them even if it will be horrible...

creeps.jpg

I had this concept art in mind when I was brainstorming these animals. Instead of having different versions of the same animal, I thought about the different variety of creatures for the biomes. Although I don't mind your ideas, the animals you mention seem to be the same creatures but with different behaviours and appearances.

It would be really cool to have snakes in the game so that you can catch rabbits using snakes like in this video:

It would be also nice if you could craft the bag full of snakes from the video and use it as a trap.

Crocodiles in the swamp would make it extra-awesome.

I don't think there's such a thing as a "desert crocodile". For what I know (I may be wrong), crocodiles and family need water as much as they need heat, they wouldn't fit in DS desert biome. Snakes, OTOH... I'd like a flying scorpion of doom too, hostile to the hounds for some epic battles.

Animals you would find in real life are not Don't Starve's style. pretty much every animal is either a combination of two animals to make a pun, a myth or something completely made up.

Any animal that has an interesting pun tied to it is cool. Like say a Dandelion or Snaligator.

Archived