Our Tavern (open discussion)

"That addition was made for the future additions/items in the mod, I will not talk about the details here, but we wanted to make the crafting system go through the containers, new and old alike."HA! It's Nothing we have to know!!! Nomnomnom!!!

<secrets> ;)

stuff

I like the idea of having more space but through aquiring stuff instead of right from the start!

I tagged you both in this post, because i am really bummed out now!

Since your new update, i cannot play at ALL with the controller, as soon as i make a backpack the game crash!

I think it may be because the main game puts the backpack bellow the inventory by default when playing with the controller, and i guess since your inventory UI is different it may be the reason why it's crashing, or maybe your mod is forcing the backpack to go to the right of the screen and the game crash because it's trying to put two different UI at the same time?

I have no idea at all, but i am extremely disapointed for now :(

SOOO wanted to start a new game!

p.s.- I should point out that i tried a new game with NO MODS other than HitD and as soon as i create a backpack it crash!

For now, i have to go to school, but if you need more details, i will play again later and take a screenshot, cause i forgot to do it!

Edited by julz1981

I don't know, I would expect the ui to be a bit out of alignment due to extra equip slots, but I have no clue why would backpack crash...  and the open backpack part that should happen when you craft or get a backpack is not controller specific..

Def need a crash log or something, I'm lost.

Wonder if there's some controller emulation software or... something... I could use to catch at least the most obvious issues

Edited by DeathDisciple

I don't know, I would expect the ui to be a bit out of alignment due to extra equip slots, but I have no clue why would backpack crash...  and the open backpack part that should happen when you craft or get a backpack is not controller specific..

Def need a crash log or something, I'm lost.

Wonder if there's some controller emulation software or... something... I could use to catch at least the most obvious issues

...s/HeroInTheDark/scripts/fa_inventorybar_override.lua:173: variable 'BackpackGet' is not declaredLUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'error'        scripts/strict.lua(23,1)        ../mods/HeroInTheDark/scripts/fa_inventorybar_override.lua(173,1) in function 'Rebuild'        scripts/widgets/inventorybar.lua(81,1) in function 'fn'        scripts/entityscript.lua(690,1) in function 'PushEvent'        scripts/components/inventory.lua(463,1) in function 'SetOverflow'        scripts/prefabs/backpack.lua(10,1) in function 'onequipfn'        scripts/components/equippable.lua(44,1) in function 'Equip'        scripts/components/inventory.lua(730,1)        =(tail call) ?        scripts/components/builder.lua(316,1) in function 'DoBuild'        scripts/actions.lua(637,1) in function 'fn'        scripts/bufferedaction.lua(19,1) in function 'Do'        scripts/entityscript.lua(942,1) in function 'PerformBufferedAction'        scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua(1609,1) in function 'ontimeout'        scripts/stategraph.lua(458,1) in function 'UpdateState'        scripts/stategraph.lua(515,1) in function 'Update'        scripts/stategraph.lua(111,1) in function 'Update'        scripts/update.lua(127,1)scripts/frontend.lua(723,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	Force aborting...
First time I tried using a controller with DS. Either Linux support is very broken or the controls are simply far from intuitive :razz:.

EDIT: "inintuitive"?

Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

...s/HeroInTheDark/scripts/fa_inventorybar_override.lua:173: variable 'BackpackGet' is not declaredLUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'error'        scripts/strict.lua(23,1)        ../mods/HeroInTheDark/scripts/fa_inventorybar_override.lua(173,1) in function 'Rebuild'        scripts/widgets/inventorybar.lua(81,1) in function 'fn'        scripts/entityscript.lua(690,1) in function 'PushEvent'        scripts/components/inventory.lua(463,1) in function 'SetOverflow'        scripts/prefabs/backpack.lua(10,1) in function 'onequipfn'        scripts/components/equippable.lua(44,1) in function 'Equip'        scripts/components/inventory.lua(730,1)        =(tail call) ?        scripts/components/builder.lua(316,1) in function 'DoBuild'        scripts/actions.lua(637,1) in function 'fn'        scripts/bufferedaction.lua(19,1) in function 'Do'        scripts/entityscript.lua(942,1) in function 'PerformBufferedAction'        scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua(1609,1) in function 'ontimeout'        scripts/stategraph.lua(458,1) in function 'UpdateState'        scripts/stategraph.lua(515,1) in function 'Update'        scripts/stategraph.lua(111,1) in function 'Update'        scripts/update.lua(127,1)scripts/frontend.lua(723,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	Force aborting...

First time I tried using a controller with DS. Either Linux support is very broken or the controls are simply far from inintuitive :razz:.

Thanks! Forgot to put the local functions that are used only in controller case. Some day I have to clean up that code... and find a controller to steal... lol

Should be patched now, that crash at least.

Edited by DeathDisciple
  • Like 1

Thanks! Forgot to put the local functions that are used only in controller case. Some day I have to clean up that code... and find a controller to steal... lol

i'm patching now.

I like the idea of having more space but through aquiring stuff instead of right from the start!

I tagged you both in this post, because i am really bummed out now!

Since your new update, i cannot play at ALL with the controller, as soon as i make a backpack the game crash!

I think it may be because the main game puts the backpack bellow the inventory by default when playing with the controller, and i guess since your inventory UI is different it may be the reason why it's crashing, or maybe your mod is forcing the backpack to go to the right of the screen and the game crash because it's trying to put two different UI at the same time?

I have no idea at all, but i am extremely disapointed for now :(

SOOO wanted to start a new game!

p.s.- I should point out that i tried a new game with NO MODS other than HitD and as soon as i create a backpack it crash!

For now, i have to go to school, but if you need more details, i will play again later and take a screenshot, cause i forgot to do it!

try downloading the new upload now and tell us how it works out...

Edited by kraken121

Stuff

I play exclusively with controller, and must say i think the game plays a lot better with it, it might take some getting used to, though!

Thanks for the help BTW XD

try downloading the new upload now and tell us how it works out...

Thanks, guys. I will go try right now, and be back to tell you if it works!

Edit: AWESOME, it works now! XD

Edited by julz1981

well...here is another problem...

When i quit the game it sometime quit to windows instead of quitting to menu, and then when i launch the game it tells me ''the game did not start properly'' or something along those lines, and it disable my mods.

another problem, just right now, i quit the game and it exited fine, but then i tried to re-enter my game and got this error

''error processing render buffer command generatemap''

Is it because i have this and ''up and away'' at the same time?

edit: I can confirm this was the problem, i disabled the mod and started my save and everything is fine now, i even quit and reloaded 5x in a row and the game quit/restarted just fine.

So, hopefully, you guys and Simplex and the rest of the ''up and away'' team will be able to resolve this! (:

Edited by julz1981

well...here is another problem...

When i quit the game it sometime quit to windows instead of quitting to menu, and then when i launch the game it tells me ''the game did not start properly'' or something along those lines, and it disable my mods.

another problem, just right now, i quit the game and it exited fine, but then i tried to re-enter my game and got this error

''error processing render buffer command generatemap''

Is it because i have this and ''up and away'' at the same time?

edit: I can confirm this was the problem, i disabled the mod and started my save and everything is fine now, i even quit and reloaded 5x in a row and the game quit/restarted just fine.

So, hopefully, you guys and Simplex and the rest of the ''up and away'' team will be able to resolve this! (:

Yes, it is a serious issue with the memory spikes on load/save and the way mod assets are loaded, as described here. Sadly there is little we can do at this time about it, as it's the game issue not the issue with our mods per se.

I can give you a partial temporary workaround however, if you have 64bit windows (I assume you're on windows) and more than 2gb memory. The game memory cap is 2GB memory due to LAA being off, if you turn the flag on and have enough RAM it will let you play both mods without memory crashes (at least the crashes caused by mod reloading spike). It does require you to manually change game exe tho, so make a backup of your dont starve executable first. Probably the easiest way to do it, if you prefer not mess with hex editors, is to get http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/laa_2_0_4-zip.34392/ , browse to don't starve exe, hit the checkbox and hit save, it will do the rest.

Note: I'm neither affiliated with techpowerup, nor the author of the app, so use at your own risk. I do know it's working in my case, and does not contain viruses at the time I'm writing this. I am also not sure if steam will figure out the change and decide to revert it, as I don't use steam.

Yes, it is a serious issue with the memory spikes on load/save and the way mod assets are loaded, as described here. Sadly there is little we can do at this time about it, as it's the game issue not the issue with our mods per se.

I can give you a partial temporary workaround however, if you have 64bit windows (I assume you're on windows) and more than 2gb memory. The game memory cap is 2GB memory due to LAA being off, if you turn the flag on and have enough RAM it will let you play both mods without memory crashes (at least the crashes caused by mod reloading spike). It does require you to manually change game exe tho, so make a backup of your dont starve executable first. Probably the easiest way to do it, if you prefer not mess with hex editors, is to get http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/laa_2_0_4-zip.34392/ , browse to don't starve exe, hit the checkbox and hit save, it will do the rest.

Note: I'm neither affiliated with techpowerup, nor the author of the app, so use at your own risk. I do know it's working in my case, and does not contain viruses at the time I'm writing this. I am also not sure if steam will figure out the change and decide to revert it, as I don't use steam.

I can confirm that this does work with steam. 

All right, thanks for the info! So, the problem is partially the memory usage of mods? Since both of those take a lot of memory compared to simple mods that only change some files/ tweaks etc?

I will try to try that! Thanks a lot.

Just to be sure, i double click the ''large adress aware.exe'' and then it will give me a path to choose and i choose the ''don't starve.exe'' correct?

Edited by julz1981

So now, goblins doesn't appear before day 100?

it pretty much goes like this,

the hound waves will start to get larger with each wave that occurs, up to max 12 hounds.

After day 100, waves will start to happen about every 9 to 12 days, and each wave that happens will have one goblin replace one hound. 

After day 200 Orcs will start to replace one goblin every wave that occurs.

We also will be adding more things to the raiding for late game <secrets>

Edited by kraken121
  • Like 1

I hate you limits... I can't access my save file because of "Not Enough Memory" when I have 1300 Mb RAM left -_-

(I have TAP, U&A, EE, and 70 other mods xD (few not used, because they're characters so they're off.))

Heh that's one of the problems, nothing is ever 'off' since mod assets are being loaded even when game is not actually running (if you check mem usage on main screen you'll see) Well as long as they're checked as active that is.

But supposedly they're working on it (or going to soon ).

EDIT the workaround above could be used for 32bit systems too, but to allow 32bit system to even access 3GB memory you need to change boot parameters which... is not advised to do for this game alone, really.

Edited by DeathDisciple

@simplex has made the real fix to memory issues with running multiple big mods, or too many smaller ones (notably HitD and UA at the same time), it can be downloaded here or if you prefer steam version.

I highly suggest you download and activate the fix, regardless of if LAA flag fixed your issues temporarily or not, because LAA is just delaying the inevitable, and is going to get overwritten on game updates. The mod above will apply to all your active mods and both lower the memory use and lower loading times.

• Like 3

@simplex has made the real fix to memory issues with running multiple big mods, or too many smaller ones (notably HitD and UA at the same time), it can be downloaded here or if you prefer steam version.

I highly suggest you download and activate the fix, regardless of if LAA flag fixed your issues temporarily or not, because LAA is just delaying the inevitable, and is going to get overwritten on game updates. The mod above will apply to all your active mods and both lower the memory use and lower loading times.

Thanks a lot for posting and @simplex for doing amazing work all day and all night! XD

• Like 1