Summer problem: Part II

I had already posted a thread like this in the feedback subforum, but I wanted to post it here too to discuss better.

As you all know, Winter has special events that provide you with special items: walrus->walrus task->walking cane; snow bird->white feather->blow dart; winter koalofant->puffy vest; more ice to collect. All this items you can obtain make you go out of your base and explore more, meaning hight risk/hight reward.

Summer, though, has nothing special. Really, there are no special events and items in summer other than the dragonfly.

I just hope Klei hasn't finished adding features yet, and that they'll add something to this season.

What do you think?

summer Koalefants would be unique to summer, if Klei added Koalefant for Spring and Autumn (The Spring Koalefant would make some sort of raincoat that works like the one we have meaning that raincoat needs a nerf) and the Autumn Koalefant would make the puffy vest as the summer Koalefant would make the Summer frest or something.

summer Koalefants would be unique to summer, if Klei added Koalefant for Spring and Autumn (The Spring Koalefant would make some sort of raincoat that works like the one we have meaning that raincoat needs a nerf) and the Autumn Koalefant would make the puffy vest as the summer Koalefant would make the Summer frest or something.

We need something original, not just a reskin of an already existing mob.

I agree with the need of a walrus-like creature for summer, but something more original would be better.

Summer is actually pretty much you wasting you time at the base and worrying about stuff not getting on fire. It's quite a drag, so I agree.

I don't know, I tend to be out of my base during summer, most of the time exploring caves or some place far away. I avoid swamps since I don't want to risk losing reeds, but that's it. I'm sure I would get bored too during summer if I stayed at my camp for fear of the entire world turning into ashes. In all seriousness, summer is a really good time to go cave exploring: there is not much that can burn up down there and you can build a small camp with an icebox and store up some ice to repair your icecube (but I prefer the summer frest + thermal stone with the cave bonus insulation to heat). I think the main problem with summer is just that people are afraid and don't want to move out of their camp.

I don't know, I tend to be out of my base during summer, most of the time exploring caves or some place far away. I avoid swamps since I don't want to risk losing reeds, but that's it. I'm sure I would get bored too during summer if I stayed at my camp for fear of the entire world turning into ashes. In all seriousness, summer is a really good time to go cave exploring: there is not much that can burn up down there and you can build a small camp with an icebox and store up some ice to repair your icecube (but I prefer the summer frest + thermal stone with the cave bonus insulation to heat). I think the main problem with summer is just that people are afraid and don't want to move out of their camp.

I'd say the main problem is that there is literally nothing to promote exploration during summer other than the dragonfly. In winter, you get MacTusk, Winter Koalefants, Pengulls for ice... all those things make you leave your camp and venture around the world doing things despite the biting cold. In summer, the only thing you could possibly gain from venturing out during summer is burned down landscapes. It's two layers of danger (heatstrokes + wildfires) and close to no special reward. Of course you can spend your time outside of your basecamp if you got the right equipment, but there is nothing special and unique to summer that you can do. It's only the same as every other season, just more dangerous for you and your environment.

Reason why you have to give people a reason to go out of their base.

I understand, but this will only apply for the first summer, just like all the examples mentionned for winter are only really useful for the first winter. Once you get all the ''special loot'', you are back to square 1: what am I gonna do this winter ? I guess what I am trying to say is that yes, there could be some more ''summer related events'' and that would make the game more rich and fun, especially in the early seasons. However, at some point the players will still need to find something to do by themselves. The weather will be an additional constraint that they will have to deal with while doing whatever they want to do.

I think it would be neat if it gradually got hotter and hotter as summer progressed, forcing you to move more north for cooler temperatures or constantly equip cooling items. This would give a use for the compass and make you get out of your base. Maybe you could take refuge in MacTusk's igloo for an instant night of cooling + sanity, at the cost of a summer MacTusk with fire darts spawning in the morning? And the summer MacTusk could drop a bagpipe that you could use a ranged cooling device, like an ice flingomatic, to put out smoldering things without taking damage?

Or there could be a new type of predator that hunts you in the summer, like a crocodile or something.

Just some ideas. 

I understand, but this will only apply for the first summer, just like all the examples mentionned for winter are only really useful for the first winter. Once you get all the ''special loot'', you are back to square 1: what am I gonna do this winter ? I guess what I am trying to say is that yes, there could be some more ''summer related events'' and that would make the game more rich and fun, especially in the early seasons. However, at some point the players will still need to find something to do by themselves. The weather will be an additional constraint that they will have to deal with while doing whatever they want to do.

Yea, the late-game is boring, as you have already done lots of things and there are no new things to do. But at least the first summer should be usefull!

I agree that winter has a lot more unique and interesting things to do.  Far beyond the first winter, You can always use more hounds teeth, and azure feathers, to stock up on blowdarts. 

I'm not opposed to summer having unique aspects by any means, but I find summer far from boring.  I make a satellite camp with little to burn down, and get tons of other stuff done due to the very long days.  Depends on world layout, but in my most recent the summer camp was right between a savanna of beefalo, and a desert.  So I spent all summer mining rocks, farming tumbleweeds, and hunting beefalo.  Never had a dull moment, and never had anything burn down, except from a un-extinguishable rabbit hole by a grass clump.

I agree there needs to be more in summer. Because even with early on summer appereal summer seems more like camping at your base. I explore more in winter than summer. Maybe a enemy like Mac tusk(not just a reskin) that drops summer like a summer version of the Tam o' Shanter. Which is my favorite clothing item.

I agree for all seasons, not just summer, that they need some unique mobs.

That would be ok, but summer has the prority: spring and autumn are middle seasons and aren't hard. Summer, on the other hand, has overheating and wild fires. So we need a reward for the players who explore in summer.

The Summer Frest, for example, should only be obtainable during summer!

I think that in winter the water could lower, in  summer it would raise, taking like 4 tiles with it, and it is shallow water you can fight something in/take a bath to cool off and restore sanity after you kill it. Maybe the tides are a stratch, but you need to be able to kill something in a pool and take a bath.

Thinking about playing the next world without summer, it us just annoiying and feels like you cannot achieve anythings special ... I dont care about the scale male and the fireproof chest also is way too expensive.

Archived