Webber suggestions and balance

How about instead of growing a beard he stars weaving one with his other arms/legs when standing still? That way one could control the amount of silk they want and it wouldn't feel so similar to Wilson.

First of, i love Webber.

But... His beard... This silky beard... Nope. I really don't like how it looks, and i really don't like how it works just like a copy of wilson's beard. And i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one to think like that.

So I had an idea when looking at a catcoon : could it be possible to just make him spit/sneeze/vomit 1-2 pieces of silk every 3-4 days ?

I don't think this would be game breaking (2 pieces every 4 days : 8 pieces in 16 days).

The number of days between each sneeze can also vary with each season : every 2 days in spring ("Haaa not that hay fever again !"/"I'm getting silk with all this rain"), every 6 days in summer ("Where did that come from ?"), every 4 days in autumn ("It's getting colder."), every 3 days in winter ("Atchoo !"/"Oooh... So cold...").

That's original and could be really funny :-)

Hah, I love this idea xD

First of, i love Webber.

But... His beard... This silky beard... Nope. I really don't like how it looks, and i really don't like how it works just like a copy of wilson's beard. And i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one to think like that.

So I had an idea when looking at a catcoon : could it be possible to just make him spit/sneeze/vomit 1-2 pieces of silk every 3-4 days ?

I don't think this would be game breaking (2 pieces every 4 days : 8 pieces in 16 days).

The number of days between each sneeze can also vary with each season : every 2 days in spring ("Haaa not that hay fever again !"/"I'm getting silk with all this rain"), every 6 days in summer ("Where did that come from ?"), every 4 days in autumn ("It's getting colder."), every 3 days in winter ("Atchoo !"/"Oooh... So cold...").

That's original and could be really funny :-)

Seems like a good idea in theory, until it happens midfight with a deerclops and that hit you take because you had to vomit a piece of silk actually takes you down... I imagine Webber, facing the beast, and he goes ''Time out! I need to vomit some silk! bluur....!'' *paf* What a glorious death for our little spider friend! xD

Seems like a good idea in theory, until it happens midfight with a deerclops and that hit you take because you had to vomit a piece of silk actually takes you down... I imagine Webber, facing the beast, and he goes ''Time out! I need to vomit some silk! bluur....!'' *paf* What a glorious death for our little spider friend! xD

That's the drawback of this ability , you never exactly know when you will sneeze/vomit :-) Could lead to really funny situations, I almost died laughing when I read your post x)

Hi ! Love the new update !

I made a post on some thread but decided to make a suggestions thread out of it since I'm concerned about the subject and brought a few ideas to the table.

I'm not sure if I like Webber at the moment. I've been playing as him for quite a few days.

His beard ability is trivial except if it protects from the cold (I'm not sure about that). Getting silk is soo easy that it's not really an issue. I mean common, 6 silk every 16 days ? Useless...

His ability to eat monster meat without loosing health is also trivial because since you still loose sanity and he has a really low sanity, there is no good reason to eat monster meat except if you are starving, which is basicly the same as any other caracter.

Finally, his "big" advantage is the fact that he can raise a spider army, which is awsome. But the spiders eat all of you're meat and it makes it really hard to get food which is not cool. It's also really hard to befriend spiders since you can only do it at night. It's also really wierd that you can hit a spider's nest, all of the spiders will attack you but you can give a meat to one of them and then all of them will get on you're side. Why can't I just order them to get out of there to befriend them ? I'd like to be able to befriend yellow spiders more easily and raise a huge yellow spider army.

Finally, pigs aggro you at like the edge of the screen and will almost pursue you to their deaths. I died on the first day spawning next to two pigs... Also, pigs can help you farm wood so much faster and it is bad that you don't get that bonus when playing as webber... Overall, my thought is just that if spiders are not as good followers as pigs or rabbits, why the hell would you want to play as webber in the first place ? It's also a lot harder to get pig skins that are a valuable ressource for spring (umbrella and piggybackpack).

The fact that spiders attack chester and gloomer is also ridiculous. It would be an OK debuff if spiders were even more usefull and could aid you in doing tasks or anything, but as it stands now, it's just a pain.

I'd suggest to either have following spiders not attack gloomer and chester and not eat meat on the ground or give you a small delay to pick it up. Another option would be to leave it as is but make spiders generally more usefull when playing as webber like allow them to slowly help you mine trees and rocks. Maybe as webber you could also befriend spider queen by giving them like 10 spider glans. Or make spiders drop special materials when you feed them. Maybe you could even have the ability to hide in a spider den and if it gets attacked all of the spiders would attack your enemy.

Finally, the fact the spiders and spider queens are neutrals is barely a bonus. They are by far the easiest monsters/boss in the game.

I just wish his special ability to have spiders follow you around had something special to it and more usefull. I want to like him but I really don't know if I will because every cool ability he brings to the table, seems to letdown something I dearly enjoy in the game. To make matters worse, anybody can "mimic" his special ability with a spider queen hat...

I understand that he was just introduced and that this is just Beta and that's why I made the tread in the first place, I would like to see him change !

Thanks !

All pretty good points about Webber, and I also believe he should be tweaked, but as the devs said he is only partially complete and many of his abilities are placeholder, so he probably will be way better in the next update.

Hey guys, thanks for testing Webber so thoroughly. This is exactly why we do early access - to make our games better. Don't Starve takes a long time to play, I simply didn't have enough time to give Webber anything more than a couple short plays before we released him. 

I'm going to make some tweaks to Webber.

• Spiders attacking your followers is unintended and I'll fix that.
  • Spiders eating your meat is by design - it's meant to make you think about having a large army of spiders for easy fights or a smaller group of spiders and some loot at the end. That said, I'm going to add a small delay to when they eat food, maybe a second or two.
  • The sanity loss for eating monster meat will be removed.
  • Webber's beard will grow faster. It already gives insulation.
  • Webber will be able to craft spider dens for something along the lines of 12 silk, 6 spider glands and 6 papyrus. I'm also going to give Webber the ability to upgrade spider dens using silk. This should make it easier to turn your base into an lovely spider resort, and give you more freedom as to where you set up your base.

Spiders not coming out of their dens to investigate you is intended. 

that such a nest of spider able to'' store'' their current followers including spiders cave

I like Webber a lot so far (even if he is a bit too spidery for my tastes), but I'm with most everyone else when I say the beard is super awkward. He's a kid. A horrifying mutant spiderkid, but still a kid. Generating silk is a great idea, but there HAS to be a better way.

I like Webber a lot so far (even if he is a bit too spidery for my tastes), but I'm with most everyone else when I say the beard is super awkward. He's a kid. A horrifying mutant spiderkid, but still a kid. Generating silk is a great idea, but there HAS to be a better way.

Agreedd! Beard on a kid is creepy!

someone on the forums suggested he grows silky hair. That would work fine for me. He could even have the quote "Mother would make me shave my shaggy hair" when the hair is too big :)

Lot's of good suggestions here !

I'd like to know your opinions about the lastest webber changes ? Do they make him too OP ? Do they balance him out OK ? What should be changed to get the perfect balance ?

My favorite addition is that you can build your own spider's nests and upgrade the existing ones.

I'd like to know your opinions about the lastest webber changes ? Do they make him too OP ? Do they balance him out OK ? What should be changed to get the perfect balance ?

My favorite addition is that you can build your own spider's nests and upgrade the existing ones.

So far, they are all pretty decently balanced. I still would like to see Webbers beard to be replaced by something more original, or at least move the silk to the little legs at his back so they don't look as weird and stupid.

So far, they are all pretty decently balanced. I still would like to see Webbers beard to be replaced by something more original, or at least move the silk to the little legs at his back so they don't look as weird and stupid.

I agree, really the beard just seems like a place holder, and I don't think it should be part of his final design, plus it would give a reason to have those leg things on his head, rather than just to associate him with spiders a bit more.

EDIT: some poorly made art I made, just as an example of something they could do

JAcUwZq.png

(Yes those black lines are webs, shut up ;-; )

They improved some things, made some things worse. Before if you gave meat to one spider every spider in the area loved you, now it only works with the 5 or 6 closest to you (i'd say the range of a campfire light).  So if you camp on a spider infested area most spiders will not be your friends - though they will not attack you or your army. Which makes having a large spider army an expensive thing in terms of meat and pretty useless - by the time you befriend more than 10 spiders the night is almost over and they will all return to their dens :(

Food buffs got messed up - there were hotfixes - but I myself still am unable to raise health by making Weber eat any kind of food. 

Chester and Glommer are now left alone by the friendly spiders.. Which if you see above doesn't mean all spiders around, just the ones you gave meat to. So they still get attacked and killed by any other spider in the area that wasn't close enough to you when you gave meat to a spider, or by any spider that spawns after you gave meat.  They are still dying, Glommer is impossible to keep. Chester can withstand some beating and if you race around giving meat to newly spawned spiders you can keep him alive - i stopped bothering to, my meat was running out faster than i could go on console mode and give myself another stack.

Klei is getting there but not there yet. Is beta so is to be expected.

when i was trying to make webber mod on caves 2 update and i tried to make something called spitpipe what it does is when you shoot enemies, webbing turf will appear on the ground wherever they go the particle and image was spitter's spit texture(modders hint hint hint hint)

when i was trying to make webber mod on caves 2 update and i tried to make something called spitpipe what it does is when you shoot enemies, webbing turf will appear on the ground wherever they go the particle and image was spitter's spit texture(modders hint hint hint hint)

wow that is GREAT, they should really add this XD

They improved some things, made some things worse. Before if you gave meat to one spider every spider in the area loved you, now it only works with the 5 or 6 closest to you (i'd say the range of a campfire light).  So if you camp on a spider infested area most spiders will not be your friends - though they will not attack you or your army. Which makes having a large spider army an expensive thing in terms of meat and pretty useless - by the time you befriend more than 10 spiders the night is almost over and they will all return to their dens :(

Food buffs got messed up - there were hotfixes - but I myself still am unable to raise health by making Weber eat any kind of food. 

Chester and Glommer are now left alone by the friendly spiders.. Which if you see above doesn't mean all spiders around, just the ones you gave meat to. So they still get attacked and killed by any other spider in the area that wasn't close enough to you when you gave meat to a spider, or by any spider that spawns after you gave meat.  They are still dying, Glommer is impossible to keep. Chester can withstand some beating and if you race around giving meat to newly spawned spiders you can keep him alive - i stopped bothering to, my meat was running out faster than i could go on console mode and give myself another stack.

Klei is getting there but not there yet. Is beta so is to be expected.

I personnaly think that the whole chester/glommer/spiders relationship is fine as it is. We can't have everything at the same time. You are going out on an expedition to gather some ressources ? Bring Chester for some extra storage. Going out on a hunt ? Bring your spider army (get one first if you didn't already have one). Need some sanity regen ? Hug Glommer. I don't see the point on going out on an expedition with chester + glommer + 25 spiders and try to maintain that at all time.

A survival game is a game where you need to be strategic about everything you do, manage your ressources, manage your tools, etc. By doing it this way, the developpers made it so that you have to choose what you want to bring with you if you go out, focus your expeditions a bit more, and if you really want the butter AND the butter's money, well you still can but you'll have really hard times trying. If someone wants to live in a base with 10 spider dens around, then he should think about a safe place to keep his other companions.

Archived