Birch nut tree guard

I'm not happy with those things right now. They pop up too often even on "less", making one appearing not a very surprising and both scary and cool event like the normal treeguards are (still remember that day I got my first treeguard.... tried to kill him by having him stand in my campfire, but it wasn't enough). Their design is a bit too over the top for my taste, with the weird eye and the annoying sounds the little guys make. Plus, they are so easy to escape from... well, I guess the same could be said for normal treeguards, but still. Though Klei already said that they will make them appear less frequent, so that's an upside.

They are a bit unbalanced. Playing as Wigfried the minions almost killed her and made her hat lose durability too fast.

I attacked them as Woody in beaver made and they were underpowered. A lot easier for the beaver to kill than most monsters

Small treeguards take like 25 chomps from the beaver to die, the big tree died in 5 chomps, and left 5-6 little ones that died with a chomp each. 

Now Wigfried can one shot spiders and doesn't lose her helmet after facing only 6 spiders, but she was at 20% and almost dying after 6 mini trees

On the other hand, to the beaver the mini trees are as easy as spiders and their attacks barely dent his log meter, just as spiders do. The big tree is way easier for the beaver.

I suggest making the big tree sturdier and the little ones comparable to spiders.

I think you are trying to fit a square peg into a round socket , It may very well be that you need to find a different method to combat them.

much like how fighting  a giant unarmored is stupid , but possible if you use ranged weapons or lure the giants into beefelo herds or pigmen villages.

the best way to kill these new tree guards is with fire if you cant reach them  , burn the tree next to them and then walk away,  if you want twigs  higher an army of pig men  ( the pigmen village is always in the vicinity of these trees) .

or just leave them alone and farm their minions for sticks.  that works too

But i firmly believe that they were designed specifically so the standard  tactics of brute force melee  or melee kiting  would not work well. 

These are awesome. I keep laughing when they come after me, and the treeguard expressions are perfect.  I remember the devs promising us a more renewable source of birchnuts; this is wickedly perfect.

Of course, I haven't tried to engage too many of them at once... great addition - deadly, comical, and forces me to rethink how I interact in the environment.

Well this monter, make farming living logs and nigmare full so easy now, and the worst part is that this monster make a new biome where the most important thing is the tree useless, and now you cant chop it. is not OP but its realy meaniless because this is basically ruines the normal treeguard ruines the purple amulet and makes you not being aple to chop or use the new tree as a tree, so yea it should be nerf in all the ways

Well this monter, make farming living logs and nigmare full so easy now, and the worst part is that this monster make a new biome where the most important thing is the tree useless, and now you cant chop it. is not OP but its realy meaniless because this is basically ruines the normal treeguard ruines the purple amulet and makes you not being aple to chop or use the new tree as a tree, so yea it should be nerf in all the ways

It's an alternative for people who don't want to chop entire fields of trees to have living logs at the cost of a difficult boss, if you want wood the evergreens are the answer and if you want to move the trees in the biome for some specific reason you can wait until winter, when they are a safe wood resource.

Basically I find it pretty balanced, its a risk-reward thing that will surprise people when they first encounter it but they'll get used to it, like everything else in the game.

Just started a new world for this update, chopped down a single tall birchnut tree in a clearing on day 1, about 4-6 birchguards spawned. I was killed so quickly that I couldn't count them all.

This is annoying, because I love the birchnut tree appearance and I always want to make my base in the birchnut biomes, but because the treeguards spawn immediately as soon as you chop down one tiny tree it makes it too dangerous. I just want to have a base with a little birchnut farm for wood, not be killed when I don't even have the tech for log armour. :((

Not sure if this is how it works at all, but in my experience, they only spawn in their original biomes. Never had any spawn in the orchard I created in my Pine Forest Biome.

It's an alternative for people who don't want to chop entire fields of trees to have living logs at the cost of a difficult boss, if you want wood the evergreens are the answer and if you want to move the trees in the biome for some specific reason you can wait until winter, when they are a safe wood resource.

Basically I find it pretty balanced, its a risk-reward thing that will surprise people when they first encounter it but they'll get used to it, like everything else in the game.

^^This.

The longer I play, I find them less likely to show up, but yes, you can chop evergreens or chop the trees down before they are in the 3rd growth stage to avoid them if you want.

They also go neutral if you walk away for a bit (which should be changed in my opinion) and can then be chopped down easily.

I would condone lessening the spawn amount, but not the spawn chance (%50 seems appropriate to me).

Yes but what about the linving tree made for these reasons, they fixed this problem but the reward are mid-late game and when you get there you alredy have a another way to farm thesse itens and destroythe trees easily

Yes but what about the linving tree made for these reasons, they fixed this problem but the reward are mid-late game and when you get there you alredy have a another way to farm thesse itens and destroythe trees easily

What if they need more living logs? What if they can't find one of those totally normal trees? Until now the alternative was almost as tedious as summoning krampus and if these new treeguards spawn in enough numbers they will never be easy no matter what equipment do you have, so while is possible to farm them its not going to be easy.

I've set my new world to 'less' and still managed to spawn 4 birchguards by cutting down one big tree... I don't really want to remove new elements of the game from my world.

Idk I always feel like I'm cheating if I alter my world too much, I don't think it makes much sense if birchguards are so easy to spawn, making them an annoying hassle on default when you're still unequipped, yet treeguards are rare. For a new player, cutting down a single tree to suddenly be overwhelmed by 6 birchguards, I would imagine it would be really annoying and confusing.

That's because they have a 50% chance of spawning when cutting down a big birchnut tree, which is OP.

I have a topic about this in the bugs section.

What if they need more living logs? What if they can't find one of those totally normal trees? Until now the alternative was almost as tedious as summoning krampus and if these new treeguards spawn in enough numbers they will never be easy no matter what equipment do you have, so while is possible to farm them its not going to be easy.

Well i see but the thing is that you cant chop woods in these forest, the horrible thing now is if you want to chop this wood you will have to fight 4-6 monster (birchnut monster) for no reason and realy, in default you would get some 3 living with small exploring, and about day 30 a tree guard (default) would alredy been spam.

The other problem is its encourage to make a base and not move ever, simply because there is more bichrnut than the normal tree, so now i just look for it get the pines and make the base because you cant chop wood as you use it anymore

Well i see but the thing is that you cant chop woods in these forest, the horrible thing now is if you want to chop this wood you will have to fight 4-6 monster (birchnut monster) for no reason and realy, in default you would get some 3 living with small exploring, and about day 30 a tree guard (default) would alredy been spam.

The other problem is its encourage to make a base and not move ever, simply because there is more bichrnut than the normal tree, so now i just look for it get the pines and make the base because you cant chop wood as you use it anymore

If you really need the wood you can chop one tree and run away if the treeguards appear, they'll despawn after a while leaving you free to collect the wood, which isn't that scarce really.

You can make your own pine grove in a birchwood biome easily. I started with 6 pinecones on fall and ended with a 32 pine trees by winter. And many logs ^^

Besides, a "cookie monster" treeguard by a frog pond is a frog leg farming tool and keeps those frogs under control. I wish i didn't have to go poking the birchwood treeguard every now and them to make sure he doesn't despawn, he is awesome :D

Archived