Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Do you agree with my ideas?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. *same as the Poll Title*

• Yes!
    • Yes, but I have different thoughts...
    • Eh, I'm Neutral about it.
    • No, but I do think some ideas are good though
    • No, just no.

Pyromailmann    2991

Small Note before you even post on this topic: I know people are against the entire "Don't starve with guns concept" and agree to some levels that the guns make no sense. But that's why I said in parentheses: " But the weapons will all be basically optional and same with the entire "guns in Don't Starve" concept." Like what Klei said about the caves; They're completely optional.

So, I just feel like putting thoughts on balances and ideas for Don't Starve.

Though 1.) The Tesla Tree; the Tesla tree was gong to be in a Tesla biome like the Volt Goat, but Klei kept the Volt Goat and scrapped the rest of the biome. I think the Tesla Tree could be craftable (with gold, gears, an electrical doodad and a pine cone.) They would conduct energy from the Lightning rod for power, and the Tesla Trees would basically be like power conducts to power some machines such as the ice box (haven't thought of any other machines or any other uses for the power from lightning rods)

Thought 2.) Possibly new weapons; I have thought of iconic weapons that you could find and make such as a flintlock pistol or a pistol in general (yes, I have thought of guns on the island that you can find or craft)

Melee Weapons: Now as for melee weapons, the best I could think of is a broadsword of some sort that is an upgrade to the spear, hambat, tentacle spike and maybe the Dark Sword; possibly an optimum sword, (which would be useful) or a gem sword which is empowered by the gem it has. The Fire Gem lights the enemy (and any enemies around the enemy hit) on fire but has a smaller chance to burn anything else that doesn't walk such as a bush or cactus. The Ice gem will freeze their target within a radius like the fire gem. The Purple Gem will kill the enemy it hits instantly and make it drop some dark petals or nightmare fuel (depends on the size and toughness of the mob) but make the player lose 10-30 sanity. The Orange Gem will make the mob's drops go directly into inventory (if there is space). The yellow gem will make the mob on death leave a beam of light but the beam may attract a hound or the seasonal giant. The Green Gem will make the mobs give their drops and die, but it'll only happens a few times before the sword either becomes nightmare fuel, turns into a pile of green gems or just shatters, that harms anything (especialy bosses, following pets or players) that steps onto it.

Ranged Weapons: I did mention guns so here we go... (but the weapons will all be basically optional and same with the entire "guns in Don't Starve" concept.)

Now, since Don't Starve takes place in the time around World War 1 or "The Great War" is happening, the weapons would be from that date OR EARLIER, you may leave other weapon suggestions but heed my advice; NO MODERN WEAPONS BEYOND THE 1960'S OR BEYOND!!! unless it's a laser gun that takes forever to craft. 

All the guns will be basically upgrades to the blow darts

You should be able to find a broken revolver with one of the boons

-Revolver (made with an old revolver, gold and gears)

-Machine Gun (I haven't come up with a recipe for this)

Ammunition:

-Clips of ammo (Gunpowder, Rocks and Flint)

-Nightmare fuel bullets (crafted with Nightmare Fuel and Gunpowder) Shooting these makes you lose sanity (I don't know how much) per. clip, follows targets like a boomerang, works with any gun.

Mechanics:  

-The gun is an equpable like any other weapon or tool

-The guns use the same durability as any other tool/ weapon but uses the mechanic as the lantern where your the gun is unusable until you put ammunition inside of it, just like the fuel mechanic with the lantern.

-When hovering above the gun, you will see the amount of ammunition below the name.

Example:

Weapon Name: "prefab"

Ammo Count: 2/10 shots

-The durability of the gun does not represent the amount of ammo it has! That shows how many uses it has before breaking into tiny little shards.

-When you shoot (just like doing various tasks such as attacking, crafting something, or harvesting) you have a delay before you fire the gun, just to make it less OP and so people don't flame this post with "It's so Overpowered and Bla, Bla, Bla."

That's basically all I have to say! Thanks for stopping and reading this post, you can always leave suggestions on what you want to of course!

Subscriber01236    1737

First weapon idea- (as I've stated before) the Flintlock pistol, which is your first weapon you craft (I'm not leaving crafting recipes so, yeah.) The pistol takes FOREVER to reload.

-Muskets. Shouldn't even have to explain this

-Standard single clip pistol.

-Revolver

-Trench Gun

-Bolt Action Rifle

-Machine Gun

Ammunition: 

-Standard Musket Shot ( Nitre, Flint and Papyrus) these have a chance to explode on you, so be careful!

-5-Shot clips [for bolt action rifles] (Nitre, rope, flint and papyrus)

-Clips (Nitre, Rocks and Flint)

-Shotgun shells (Nitre, Gold and Paper)

-Nightmare fuel bullets (crafted with Nightmare Fuel and Nitre) Shooting these makes you lose 20 sanity per. clip, follows targets like a boomerang, works with any gun.

Mechanics:  

-The gun is an equpable like any other weapon or tool

-The guns use the same durability as any other tool/ weapon but uses the mechanic as the lantern where your the gun is unusable until you put ammunition inside of it, just like the fuel mechanic with the lantern.

-When hovering above the gun, you will see the amount of ammunition below the name.

Umm... No thank you i'm doing quite well at surviving without guns thanks, I already have all the things i could possibly need for combat in Don't starve (some darts and a pointy rock on a stick).

. The Purple Gem will kill the enemy it hits instantly and make it drop some dark petals or nightmare fuel (depends on the size and toughness of the mob) but make the player lose 10-30 sanity. 

So the downside is you can one hit kill EVERYTHING with the weapon at a loss of 10 - 30 sanity which can be easily re-gained with a single night's sleep, and if you don't you have to fight the insanity creatures... which you can kill in one hit... essentially destroying any form of challenge what so ever?

Pyromailmann    2991

So the downside is you can one hit kill EVERYTHING with the weapon at a loss of 10 - 30 sanity which can be easily re-gained with a single night's sleep, and if you don't you have to fight the insanity creatures... which you can kill in one hit... essentially destroying any form of challenge what so ever?

Well let me just state this these are all just small ideas, don't take them as if they're going to be in the game. But you do make a point on the entire sanity loss. The Purple gem sword could have low durability and higher sanity loss but the ideas are newly thought of, so there will be balances later on.

Kellyc764    50

I disagree with guns in the game. They don't bring anything to it imho.

Most of the DS characters are from the early 1920's also, so guns wouldn't have been a big thing back then either I assume.

This sounds to me as something that would be more suited as an unofficial mod rather than actual official implementation.

As for the tesla tree, it still might make a comeback with some use, can't say there's anything in game that would require power aside from the ice box - You could argue alchemy machine and science machine, however the mats needed to construct those would then push difficulty so high it wouldn't be worth it.

I think it's just going to be one of the ideas in the bank for them that they can always use when an occasion arises, unfortunately, this probably won't be anytime soon.

rodoto    49

Guns have nothing to see with the universe of Don't Starve

and it would be too difficult to find a good use for the tesla tree: we already have the lighting rod and use the TT with the ice box ... it would be too complicated for the player.

Pyromailmann    2991

I disagree with guns in the game. They don't bring anything to it imho.

Most of the DS characters are from the early 1920's also, so guns wouldn't have been a big thing back then either I assume.

This sounds to me as something that would be more suited as an unofficial mod rather than actual official implementation.

I know what you're saying but when you think about the 20's it was the time when (in America) Wigfrid is a viking so she is from Europe (as she does have a Norwegen Accent as it seems) and Europe was very heated in the meaning of war back in the time from before World War 1 to World War 2. And like I said, these are suggestions.

Kellyc764    50

I know what you're saying but when you think about the 20's it was the time when (in America) Wigfrid is a viking so she is from Europe (as she does have a Norwegen Accent as it seems) and Europe was very heated in the meaning of war back in the time from before World War 1 to World War 2. And like I said, these are suggestions.

From what I gather, most characters are from the US or close surrounds. Maxwell and Wilson surely are. It can be theorised that Wolfgang is from a travelling circus, and Wigfrid isn't actually Norse, she's just an Opera Singer in character (Which was pretty typical operas in the early 1900's to use those sort of settings)

MycoLogical    1092

This games set in around the 1920's...on an island...in the middle of nowhere....

These people, even with the help of some semi-intelligent pigs could not craft firearms....

DaS    58

This games set in around the 1920's...on an island...in the middle of nowhere....

These people, even with the help of some semi-intelligent pigs could not craft firearms....

But we can craft fridges that run off self-perpetuating energy? Although also not a fan of the gun idea, 'logic' as it stands has no place inside Don't Starve :p

MycoLogical    1092

But we can craft fridges that run off self-perpetuating energy? Although also not a fan of the gun idea, 'logic' as it stands has no place inside Don't Starve :p

True, true......

Okay how about this:

GUNS AREN'T DAPPER!!!

Pyromailmann    2991

True, true......

Okay how about this:

GUNS AREN'T DAPPER!!!

What if I told you... That people don't read the whole post and I had to edit a small note just to let people realize it because they don't read that since... um.... you know, I'll just stop talking.

what about makeshift firearms or bows even?

Doomfan64    187

I like the idea of being able to craft one type of simple gun that uses Gunpowder as ammo or something. NOT NINE MILLION DAMN TYPES.

Also, "It is entirely optional" has never been a viable defense. Just never.

Pyromailmann    2991

I like the idea of being able to craft one type of simple gun that uses Gunpowder as ammo or something. NOT NINE MILLION DAMN TYPES.

Also, "It is entirely optional" has never been a viable defense. Just never.

Still just early thoughts, some may be removed... eventually.

InaneDugong    121

I'd be cool for a pistol and something a tier above it - after all, the game includes a rackety refrigerator  - but I'd want it to be something with a high miss chance, i.e. keeping consistent with the feels of the game.  I think it'd be cool to have a steampunk-inspired pistol that was a really huge risk to shoot since it most-probably will miss but would render high reward if it were successful.

Hell, what if the sound of gunfire attracted malicious creatures? Now that'd be cool.

Edit: Oh, and as for going beyond the lore of the game: won't happen. As a mod I wouldn't play it unless you threw in some dynamic that made it challenging. The issue with modern weapons is they are, literally, unfathomably more reliable than sticks and stones and ether. The other issue is, even the strongest weapons in the game have a huge downside to them that ties in with the immersion and lore. Whilst I'm fine with guns - since some novelties aren't outside the bounds of the game's lore - M16s and pin-point high calibre weaponry just isn't something you can throw in because the tiers just aren't accommodated for, yet. Maybe if demons or enormous bosses made their way in, then sure--but where does your proposal fit in the current meta?

Boar Head    109

I don't agree. I don't feel like firearms belong in this game they just (as someone has already said) wouldn't be adding anything new, special or even original to this game. I'm kind of against a bow as well just because I like the fact that this game has blowdarts as a weapon. And I just can't imagine Wilson or most other characters being able to operate a gun or a bow very efficiently. I think there is a reason why the characters have only one attack animation and it just consists of them whacking the enemy with the sharp end of the weapon, no techniques or anything like that so yeah.

jbeetle    1873

I don't agree. I don't feel like firearms belong in this game they just (as someone has already said) wouldn't be adding anything new, special or even original to this game. I'm kind of against a bow as well just because I like the fact that this game has blowdarts as a weapon. And I just can't imagine Wilson or most other characters being able to operate a gun or a bow very efficiently. I think there is a reason why the characters have only one attack animation and it just consists of them whacking the enemy with the sharp end of the weapon, no techniques or anything like that so yeah.

good response.

Tonguetyd    68

Nah, I don't feel like guns would bring anything new to the game.

Could you explain why would we want guns?

like a 12-year old Call of Duty player no offense to those people. 

Why not?

Axegace    10

I enjoy the enthusiasm, and I like the rudimentary electricity ideas.

I whole bunch of crazy guns and weapons might sound good, but I think you'd find in practice that they don't add anything to how the game actually plays. We have a variety of melee weapons and some ranged weapons already.

toasterman3000    237

I honestly don't understand why people would want guns in this game. We already have blowdarts, boomerangs, and fire/ice rods. Those all fulfill the same purpose.

The only guns I would accept are giant cannons that use gunpowder and fire rocks, or maybe even a very crude blunderbuss. But I still don't see how those would be better than what we have. They would be terribly inaccurate and take ages to reload and refuel.