Hu, that's interesting.

So I was just browsing Wikipedia when I saw this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Starve

Now according to it (Which Wikipedia is prone to be wrong most of the time), Don't Starve is somewhat considered a 'survival horror' and it lead me to think, do you guys think the game could be considered 'survival horror' share thoughts or something.

I always though "Roguelike" was its own genre which I consider this game as well as FTL. I am a proud owner of both of course. 

(BTW,  buy that great game for only 4.99 for the next 11 hours!) 

Technically, I'd also allow it to be labeled "Survival Horror" the way I'd also allow FTL to be labeled "Science Fiction." 

I'd say its a combination of roguelike, survival and basebuilding. Definitely not horror. Artistically it strikes me like Charles M. Schultz and Tim Burton had a baby.

Edit: Wikipedia's description of it being an 'open world environment' also seems wrong to me. Open world implies a preconstructed world which you can explore freely. Don't Starve is randomly generated, which I think is very different, even if there are no plot corridors. Its like if you were to call Civilization or Torchlight open world.

It's got survival.

It's got horror (arguably).

I wouldn't put it under survival horror, though. The genre calls to mind images of dark hallways, loaded guns that turn out to just delay the inevitable when they do anything at all and dark themes that will often involve the depraved depths of humanity in some way. I feel if someone told me about this great survival horror game called Don't Starve and I bought it just for that, I'd end up intensely disappointed.

I'd call it "stylized horror". It contains stuff that could be legitimately terrifying if it were a bit more

realistic, but as it is it actually sort of reminds me of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy in

that it has "spooky" stuff, but it's cartoony enough to avoid being creepy.

You know what I always say - "The most successful companies are those that make no money."

I don't trust Klei anymore, 2 or 3 new chesters, when one would be enough.

I see that Rogue Legacy sells quite well, and company is making profits, and they didnt make game easier or anything.

It depends on the type of fear you are talking about.

Horror; Used with exposed bodily fluids, often mixed with terror or creepy.

Terror; Usually associated with the unnatural or unnatural aspects.

Creepy; Associated with entities we don't know the intentions of.

I don't trust Klei anymore, 2 or 3 new chesters, when one would be enough.

I see that Rogue Legacy sells quite well, and company is making profits, and they didnt make game easier or anything.

Rogue Legacy is great....for less than 15 hours. There's no reason to play multiple times. It's also way newer and has not been updated with new content. I could go on but what's the point? Your original point had nothing to do with your response.

Not only that, but the money being raised with kickstarter doesn't impact anyone's enjoyment of the game. Unless you really see 3 extra slots breaking the game..

Rogue Legacy is great....for less than 15 hours. There's no reason to play multiple times. It's also way newer and has not been updated with new content. I could go on but what's the point?

Add more Chesters!!!

We need Pig Chester and Grass Chester, and Reed Chester and then Bee Chester, and after that Tree Chester, I could go on, but whats the point?

Add more Chesters!!!

We need Pig Chester and Grass Chester, and Reed Chester and then Bee Chester, and after that Tree Chester, I could go on, but whats the point?

Not only that, but the money being raised with kickstarter doesn't impact anyone's enjoyment of the game. Unless you really see 3 extra slots breaking the game..

I can add both of them for free in 2 hours, they don't even have new sprites, its just recolor, its just money grab and nothing else.

You do realize that the in-game assets are not the point of the project, right? They're included in the game whether you backed it or not. You're not making a strong case at all - unjustifiably mad.

Archived