general strategies for fight Mactusk

What you will need:

a) Spear or sword. 
b) Ice staff (you should dig graves, or wait for your first winter hound wave before engaging mctusk)

c) one blowdart

d) Armor
e) healing items
f) tooth traps if necessary

Step 1 - agro the hounds away from the camp. (trap them with traps if necessary) Dodge and kill them without taking blowdart hits from mctusk.
Step 2 - Use the ice staff to freeze mctusk - it takes 2 hits to freeze him. 
Step 3 - switch to the blowdart quickly and one shot Wee Mctusk. (do this quickly to prevent mctusk from thawing)

Step 4 - quickly move to the 6 o'clock position of mctusk and finish him off...
Step 5 - collect back the blowdart from mctusk to recycle this process. 

This method has given me about 15 tam o' shanters in a period of 100 days. 
(this was when the hound camp bug was still around, and i forced myself to weed their numbers before they got out of hand)

actually this brings up another point for discussion, once you have gotten the Tam o' shanter and the walking cane, does anyone even bother with mactusk?

Actually when the hound camp bug was around - i made it a point to visit their camp every 3 days.

About 4 camps on my maps, and culled their numbers constantly to keep the number of bugged hounds low. 

Now I have about 15 tam O shanters, almost a full chest of tusks, and 3 chests full of tooths.

It was also a great way to get fresh meat in the winter - 2 per camp X4 = 8 meat every 3 days plus a tonne of monster meat. 

While the hound bug has been dealt with... having tonnes of blowdarts is a really good idea. 

I used to underestimate them, but they can prove useful. 

WIN. 

Beat the crap out of the hounds, or send them to the pengulls/aggro beefalo/tallbirds/killer bees/pigs/spiders/rabbits/eyeplant/etc. If you have a swamp or some natural biome dangers around, use that to your advantage. A boomerang is all you need to take them down. Use armour if you're worried about your health. Once you've killed one, the other will try to run, so consider what you want to loot, then shoot. Eventually, you can surround their base with trouble and harvest whatever's left of them.

Guess again.

attachicon.gif34244.jpg

Holy decked out Wolfgang, Batman.

My first encounter with those narwhal eating beasts*sniffle*was VERY ugly.

I was decked out(In my eyes,at least, at the time)and I was just walking through a savanna, and I see the party following me. I walk towards them and then get shot and mauled.

I THOUGHT I WOULD SURVIVE WINTER.

The first time I encountered MacTusk, I had no idea that he and his entourage were coming (or even existed,) and I got caught be surprise and _mauled_.  I'd been feeling pretty good with the "yay I'm surviving winter and doing fine I'M INVINCIBLE" oh well. :p

The first time I encountered MacTusk, I had no idea that he and his entourage were coming (or even existed,) and I got caught be surprise and _mauled_.  I'd been feeling pretty good with the "yay I'm surviving winter and doing fine I'M INVINCIBLE" oh well. :razz:

Did somebody say I AM INVINCIBLE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0LZsyi_tA

Okay back to our regularly scheduled topic :-)

I don't usually look at the wiki, but I just did for Mactusk to compare notes with what everyone is saying... it says he's not aggro unless provoked.  What?  I've been attacked in every encounter with him across every game I've played.  Very aggressive.  Is the wiki wrong?

I don't usually look at the wiki, but I just did for Mactusk to compare notes with what everyone is saying... it says he's not aggro unless provoked.  What?  I've been attacked in every encounter with him across every game I've played.  Very aggressive.  Is the wiki wrong?

Welcome to what happens when one person can enter something not verified or (even) deliberately grief players by posting BS stuff. 

Absolutely wrong and I'll correct it if not already done. 

Welcome to what happens when one person can enter something not verified or (even) deliberately grief players by posting BS stuff. 

Absolutely wrong and I'll correct it if not already done. 

As far as I know, he is like the merms with a certain aggro range. If you're just out of it enough, he won't attack but stare at you.

Wait a moment, searching for @Spazmatic's screenshot on it.

Nevermind. It's probably way too buried to find...I think he already left the forums to clarify this too. :/

Strategies for Mactusk seem to involve having had a lot of past experiences with him (in order to know what he brings and can do,) or, having read the wiki or something, things like "have pigmen ready for him."  Most of Don't Starve seems like it can be done, with some caution, without any foreknowledge or wiki-reading, but I have a feeling this guy is an exception.  I can't imagine surviving unprepared, not realizing that he's coming and will be so powerful, and there's only a few times at most, it seems, where this sort of danger exists in Don't Starve.  I prefer a don't-need-the-wiki-or-foreknowledge, but I guess there's at least one exception.  

Strategies for Mactusk seem to involve having had a lot of past experiences with him (in order to know what he brings and can do,) or, having read the wiki or something, things like "have pigmen ready for him."  Most of Don't Starve seems like it can be done, with some caution, without any foreknowledge or wiki-reading, but I have a feeling this guy is an exception.  I can't imagine surviving unprepared, not realizing that he's coming and will be so powerful, and there's only a few times at most, it seems, where this sort of danger exists in Don't Starve.  I prefer a don't-need-the-wiki-or-foreknowledge, but I guess there's at least one exception.  

Don't need to read the wiki. It's called "Trial and error". This game is all about that.

@aredshroom you're right. They're like merms and Tallbirds. And they're indeed considered hostile, because they can attack you even if you didn't smack them first.

My Mactusks spawn in savannahs or nearby savannahs at least 80% of the time, and as long as they haven't aggroed onto you the hounds will automatically aggro onto any nearby beefalo (which you can drag them to via Mactusk automatically following you), which if there is more than one, will start a chain reaction that ends in Mactusk getting brutally murdered by beefalo and you not getting hit once. The aggro trick works on any animals but I prefer beefalo. Pengulls can kick his butt, too. I have also seen tallbirds kill him once or twice. This is what makes the King of Winter stage much easier. Free Tam O' Shanters and Walking sticks for everyone! :D

My Mactusks spawn in savannahs or nearby savannahs at least 80% of the time, and as long as they haven't aggroed onto you the hounds will automatically aggro onto any nearby beefalo (which you can drag them to via Mactusk automatically following you), which if there is more than one, will start a chain reaction that ends in Mactusk getting brutally murdered by beefalo and you not getting hit once. The aggro trick works on any animals but I prefer beefalo. Pengulls can kick his butt, too. I have also seen tallbirds kill him once or twice. This is what makes the King of Winter stage much easier. Free Tam O' Shanters and Walking sticks for everyone! :grin:

Funny, mine spawn in (alternate, not the nearby starting area's) grasslands 90% of the time, with several others spread throughout the area. 

actually this brings up another point for discussion, once you have gotten the Tam o' shanter and the walking cane, does anyone even bother with mactusk?

Sometimes.

His hounds are good for teeth if you have been unlucky on the drop rate during hound attacks.

Archived