general strategies for fight Mactusk

Im kind of stuck right now trying to figure out how to tackle him, his shots are deadly, hounds i can just kite to the nearby killer bees. But upon trying to do the same with mactusk he got bored and left.

I'll think of a way Done that sleep darts followed by beating the crap out of him

but it brought up an interesting point How do different people handle mactusk

EDIT; well bugger missed out the "ing" for fight in the title disregard it would you?

I don't fight Mactusk, I hunt him. 

First you have to get him alone. I'll bring 4-5 pigs and set them on the dogs and Weetusk. Just toss a boomerang at who you want the pigs to focus on then retreat a bit. Once the Mactusk group is focused on the pigs, circle around and get behind Weetusk. Attack without mercy.

Help your pigs finish off the hounds. Now it's time for Mac. The idea is to keep him surrounded by yourself and your pigs. Try to make him run into your pigs by running him into coasts or circling around.

If you are unable to get him with the pigs, next up is spiders. Find the closest den on your map and run him there. You have to keep him on the run. Keep at his heels, don't let him stop to fire. Once the spiders aggro him him, make sure you get ahead of where Mac will be running to get away from the spiders. Use the spiders like you would the pigs, just don't hit the spiders until he's dead and they shouldn't attack you..

This guy gets it.

well I think most of us do, since mactusk doesn't actively look for you, you have to look for him

anyway my tactic is;

Draw hounds away from hunting party

Kill hounds with melee weapons

Sleep Dart mactusk

Quickly stunlock mactusk

Pick up blowdart

shoot Mactusk.Jr

well I think most of us do, since mactusk doesn't actively look for you, you have to look for him

Well, not if he's a biome a way.

You guys should try pengulls. All you have to do is walk near the shore. That's my tactic with Maxwell and Wes.

actually this brings up another point for discussion, once you have gotten the Tam o' shanter and the walking cane, does anyone even bother with mactusk?

I sometimes kill him if he's in the way and I have time to spare.

Or if I'm just in a bloodthirsty mood.

Or if I feel like having multiple canes for some reason (maybe keeping a spare by a touchstone in a dangerous area, or something)

The Lazy Explorer is fun.

I actually haven't really explored Caves much yet - now that they're out of beta, I plan to do it as soon as I can get Steam access to update the blasted game (my university blocks Steam's port, so I'm still stuck at "The Stuff of Nightmares" like a nub). :/

actually this brings up another point for discussion, once you have gotten the Tam o' shanter and the walking cane, does anyone even bother with mactusk?

Until the most recent update camping out near MacTusk was the easiest way to gather piles and piles of monster meat to survive the Winter.  Now the hounds don't respawn nearly as often.  It's much better/less exploitable now.

Or if I feel like having multiple canes for some reason (maybe keeping a spare by a touchstone in a dangerous area, or something)

I always stock a chest with supplies near each touchstone.  If I have spares I add a walking cane since it makes recovering everything much easier.  If I have several Tams I may add one but usually it's a Winter hat instead.

Hmmph thought you take care of the hounds with melee and/or followers and Mac with any ranged attacks as "the hunter becomes the hunted" replies of some other posters. But the idea is to engage Mac in a ranged fashion so he can't "get away" and only if he closes (and your other enemies are done for) would you even consider switching to any melee attacks if ever needed (most ranged weapons like those blow darts often do the trick.) 

Archived