Oct 22nd Public Preview (Updated Oct 21 2013)

Bryce

ah, it's sad to see the end of it for a few months, and sad to see that it didn't go out with a bang or triumphant glow, but with a cowering whimper and burnt dustyness, fitting for this kind of game.

DLC is looked forward to.

now just to fix the settings on this computer so that it doesn't look all blurry.

Yeah..I was hoping a lot of the suggestions from the "Wished for the last update" would make it into the final scheduled update.

Just saying. Mosquitos dropping things is kinda pointless if they're only showing up at dusk. Most people retreat into their base by that time.

I guess they're there as an emergency healing item in the hostile swamps. Easier to get than the Spider Gland?

Spider farm. Quick and easy. Spider gland can be made into healing salve.

I know that, i'm just trying to find a scenario when they could be useful. I mean if they wanted it to be different than just a reskined spider gland they would...right?

I know that, i'm just trying to find a scenario when they could be useful. I mean if they wanted it to be different than just a reskined spider gland they would...right?

Well that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was saying its kinda weird since Mosquitos only come out at dusk and most people run back into their base, where healing is more readily available. If they came out during the day as well, then there'd be more of a point.

Well that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was saying its kinda weird since Mosquitos only come out at dusk and most people run back into their base, where healing is more readily available. If they came out during the day as well, then there'd be more of a point.

I can't give feedback on that then. If i spend time in swamps, i spend days at a time...

It's been awhile since I saw a mosquito in the game... I just never am around when they are!

Maybe there could be mosquito specific ponds who spawn them all day long, in exchange for better fish yielding? Or they could appear after harvesting reeds. Or both of these options :). And perhaps use the healing salve, bandage and mosquito sack as a recipe for a higher tier healing item or one with a different effect?

Just spewing out ideas to make mosquitoes more appealing

@Bryce glad to see the hounds wont respawn instantly and shift click will work properly again!

Also i don't know if you guys are still working on these but here's some little bugs and tweaks that i think are important to look at : 

• Friendly Damaged Clockworks shouldn't attack Chester on sight.
  • Hostile Damaged Clockworks should retaliate when attacked by friendly ones.
  • Pathfinding for mobs. Since the walls movement was fixed, mobs don;t find their way around them anymore...
  • Sometimes when you visit your pigs a day or two after a full moon you will encounter werepigs wandering around at daylight.
  • Tentacles cause no damage to Eyeplants or Abigail. This means that these ways we can kill them without loss.
  • Friendly Damaged Clockworks should attack sanity creatures like in the trailer for the "A Moderately Friendly Update".
  • Have only one Chester when moving through caves... Having to go up and down just to move the items form one to the other is tedious...
  • Synchronize the day-night cycle between caves and the surface so if any settings to the length of the day states (day, dusk, night) are reflected in caves. (Is this even possible?)
  • Make the Alchemy Engine harder to make and require different materials from the Science Machine like is the case for Prestihatitator and Shadow Manipulator.
  • Tweak Willow's perk. Now that we won't have lava caves and heat season her fire immunity is not that great...
  • Tweak the Chilled Amulet for the same reasons as above.
  • Tweak the Ham Bat. Now that flint is renewable it's not that useful.
  • A use for the Compass...
  • Tweak WX-78's upgrade system. Gears are abundant now and he can be upgraded fully without going into a new world. Gears are an OP source of food that can be exploited in Adv. Mode. The Telelocator Staff's lightning can be used to overcharge him at will. Also Meat Effigies shouldn't work with him, unless he's really Tony Stark.
  • Make Wolfgang's middle form something more than just a more expensive beardless Wilson. And fixed bonus damage and health instead of receding ones would be great...
  • Wickerbottom should have her food penalty when food is in the yellow. Also she should have her bonus work with the magic tier too, so only a science machine and prestihatitator are needed to unlock all the recipes.
  • Baby tree saplings should not still be referd to as 'pinecones' with pinecones descriptions.
  • Bee mines shouldn't need a plank of wood...it makes no sense use...
  • Make sanity creatures immune to tooth traps. They already walk through walls so it doesn't make sense.
  • Better use for the Glow Berry. Super fuel for the lantern or making glowing meals.
  • Rock Lobsters on the surface breed too fast.
Edited by TeoSS69
  • Like 1

• Developer
  • Pathfinding for mobs. Since the walls movement was fixed, mobs don;t find their way around them anymore...

Hey @TeoSS69,

Do you have any additional information about this? I just tried out a couple of things and mobs seem to be finding their way around walls as expected.  Is there a specific mob that you've observed having trouble, or a specific layout of walls that causes problems?

There are limitations on the pathfinding and it won't find a path in all situations, but it seems to be working in general.

Cheers,

Brook

Hey @TeoSS69,

Do you have any additional information about this? I just tried out a couple of things and mobs seem to be finding their way around walls as expected.  Is there a specific mob that you've observed having trouble, or a specific layout of walls that causes problems?

There are limitations on the pathfinding and it won't find a path in all situations, but it seems to be working in general.

Cheers,

Brook

Well for starters, my slurtles refuse to go through that hole i opened in the wall to get the gold. They keep going against the wall :

whfPvt3.jpg

I also started a test world and tried aggroing a bunnyman and a tallbird. Both ignored the entrance of the mini fort and just went against the wall. Didn't even attack it, just walked against it in place :

QjBQ75y.jpg

FwpIIr9.jpg

I got the bunnyman to go through the entrance by aggroing him while i myself was close to the traps.

Chester also refuses to go out through the entrance but chases me in a straight line getting trapped in the fort:

kHZXQNU.jpg

Also waited for hounds. Same thing. they came from different directions but both went against that part of the wall :

Y3OBXhv.jpg

None of this used to happen before the walls movement got fixed...

Changelist 88013:

Bugfixes/ Tweaks:

• Made some improvements to the text widget
Happy to see this is a fix for this bug. If possible, it'd be great if you could expose a C++ function to Lua that allows changing the cursor's position. Right now, Lua can only show or hide the cursor; allowing Lua to change its position would allow mods to make substantial improvements to the TextEdit widget. Edited by squeek

• Developer

Happy to see this is a fix for this bug. If possible, it'd be great if you could expose a C++ function to Lua that allows changing the cursor's position. Right now, Lua can only show or hide the cursor; allowing Lua to change its position would allow mods to make substantial improvements to the TextEdit widget.

Try TheInputProxy:SetOSCursorPos(x,y) and TheInputProxy:GetOSCursorPos() on the preview.

Edit: Occurs to me now that you were probably talking about the text widget cursor, not the mouse cursor. Maybe these functions will prove useful anyways!

Try TheInputProxy:SetOSCursorPos(x,y) and TheInputProxy:GetOSCursorPos() on the preview.

Edit: Occurs to me now that you were probably talking about the text widget cursor, not the mouse cursor. Maybe these functions will prove useful anyways!

Yes, I meant the TextWidget userdata's cursor. The only cursor-related function exposed to Lua is ShowEditCursor(). Having a Get/SetEditCursorPos or something like it would be really useful.

Also, a bug on the mod screen: The top half of the Apply and Cancel buttons are unclickable; the focus is being blocked by the background of the mod details section. One possible fix is to do

self.detailpanelbg:SetClickable(false)
in ModsScreen:CreateDetailPanel().

• Developer

Hey @TeoSS69,

Cheers,

Brook

So... it looks like somebody ( :arrow: @Kevin  :shock:) broke wall avoidance back in April, and nobody really noticed until now, since it still sort of worked about 50% of the time :-)

We should have a fix for this in the next build.

Brook

• Like 3

• Developer

So... it looks like somebody ( :arrow: @Kevin  :shock:) broke wall avoidance back in April, and nobody really noticed until now, since it still sort of worked about 50% of the time :-)

We should have a fix for this in the next build.

Brook

Yeeeee haw! /Yosemite Sam dance

• Like 1