[Testing] When In Doubt, Use Brute Force

simplex

There's more than that, but those are what will probably stand out more. The next commit will definitely need testing; It is going to include the magnet, for moving around the electric spheres. That also involves the (living) gnomes. You'll be burning them...

There'll be what my friend and I call the grabber. This is the tool that will let you grab skyflies, but that isn't its main function. It'll extend the player's reach, so they'll be able to pick up items that are further away than normal.

Anyways, back to work.

The weather machine is something I want to tune properly. How do people feel about the weather machine working in the cloud realm? If used there, it should make static occur around-the-clock, but would also change the season to summer.

I agree with Craig. The idea of being able to drastically improve the living conditions in the Cloud Realm being out there is definitely something to encourage exploration (which is something I think we've focussed on quite a bit), and unless you're playing Winnie, the Winter is really gonna get really annoying when you need food, so you don't just have to farm downstairs. I'm not sure about the Static though. I like the idea of making it a regular cycle, but say the player doesn't find the Machine, doesn't that mean they'll miss out on half the content? And the more interesting half at that.

Overall, it's a fair trade off, but do we plan to have the Static occur before it is 'activated', as a rare event? Also, I assume the character would hint at the Machine while freezing or at least something along those lines.

I'm looking forward to some of the other stuff too especially the Magnet. Whilst I can't promise I'll be as thorough as Craig, I'll certainly give testing a go.

I agree with Craig. The idea of being able to drastically improve the living conditions in the Cloud Realm being out there is definitely something to encourage exploration (which is something I think we've focussed on quite a bit), and unless you're playing Winnie, the Winter is really gonna get really annoying when you need food, so you don't just have to farm downstairs.

I'm looking forward to some of the other stuff too especially the Magnet. Whilst I can't promise I'll be as thorough as Craig, I'll certainly give testing a go.

it'll be good to have more testers there's only so much one person can do

*insert taking ring to Mordor reference-ish thing here* 

it'll be good to have more testers there's only so much one person can do

*insert taking ring to Mordor reference-ish thing here* 

I agree completely.

The update is coming along very nicely, but it's not anywhere near ready to be pushed. I think I've finally got worldgen how I want it (at least very close to it, anyways.) Lots of biomes that may have felt empty before will certainly not feel empty anymore.

A short summary of today:

pauc5.jpg

I think that's quite a balanced trade, actually!

You don't have to worry about the freezing cold, but... then you have to worry about all the static-charged nasties. x3

Oh, and... the grabber?

Oh my gosh, you're making a hookshot. xP

Pretty much, yes. There was nothing in your Link mod thread about one, and nobody has seemed to have made anything similar, so I figured it would be a nice new mechanic. (And I think it solves the issue of having a new item simply for the sake of catching a single bug.)

Also, I should be clear: The weather machine is a recipe. It will use mostly cloudrealm drops, and will require a special tech prototyper, so you will have to work for it. This not only ensures that everybody has the same chance at it, but that the player will actually have to gather various materials to prototype it. (For instance, crystal relics. You could mine them for the fragments, or you could use them as resurrection points.)

Pretty much, yes. There was nothing in your Link mod thread about one, and nobody has seemed to have made anything similar, so I figured it would be a nice new mechanic. (And I think it solves the issue of having a new item simply for the sake of catching a single bug.)

I actually had it on the "maybe" list for a very long time - eventually removed it, since I could see no feasible way of achieving it.

Of course, with the new ability to make custom Swap anims, I think it solves the problem I had of not having a suitable animation... I had no idea where to begin with the code, so, you're on your own, there. x3

I'll draw up my ideas for how it could possibly work, on an animation level, when I can. Unless you have an idea yourself. =)

I had no idea where to begin with the code, so, you're on your own, there. x3

I'm still around, you know. ;P

Just somewhat clueless on how to effectively help, since I hadn't been tracking development as closely as I'd like, and Arctic is not here to compile lists of what's what and what's to be.

I'm still around, you know. ;P

Just somewhat clueless on how to effectively help, since I hadn't been tracking development as closely as I'd like, and Arctic is not here to compile lists of what's what and what's to be.

I haven't been able to be around all that much, and when I have been here, there hasn't really been much noteworthy progression. Until now of course.

Also, I should be clear: The weather machine is a recipe. 

My worries are quashed! Phew! :3

If it's craftable, people will craft it, so no need to worry about people missing out on the Static.

They can't be targeted...

log.txt =P

Log.txt would help, but I think I know what happened. I'll push the fix in a moment.

Edit: Also, beanstalks are plantable in graves only. They will eventually only grow during a certain moon phase, but for now, they are grown instantly.

Log.txt would help, but I think I know what happened. I'll push the fix in a moment.

Edit: Also, beanstalks are plantable in graves only. They will eventually only grow during a certain moon phase, but for now, they are grown instantly.

Yeah, I thought you let that part out for some reason...

And must've missed the grave only memo. Also the merchant should have a bigger area to get beefalo. Had to bring them to his face...

Also, beanstalks are plantable in graves only. They will eventually only grow during a certain moon phase, but for now, they are grown instantly.

Riiiiight. Well that explains the problems I've been having. :D I definitely think the Shopkeeper should be more clear about that, as I couldn't figure it out, and I'm not sure who (out of the general community) would be able to. Also, this might not be fixable, but when the shopkeeper talks, if you click, his monologue is skipped, (like Maxwell's at the start of the game if you click), and you then have no way of hearing it again. This has been quite an issue for me and other people who I have seen play U&A.

Yeah, I thought you let that part out for some reason...

And must've missed the grave only memo. Also the merchant should have a bigger area to get beefalo. Had to bring them to his face...

What an odd man. Rubbing his face on beefalos.

Anyways, I've tweaked that. I've also fixed the zealot crash, and the beanlets spawn a modified deerclops now.

Riiiiight. Well that explains the problems I've been having. :grin: I definitely think the Shopkeeper should be more clear about that, as I couldn't figure it out, and I'm not sure who (out of the general community) would be able to. Also, this might not be fixable, but when the shopkeeper talks, if you click, his monologue is skipped, (like Maxwell's at the start of the game if you click), and you then have no way of hearing it again. This has been quite an issue for me and other people who I have seen play U&A.

Fixed that too. (And made the line about bonemeal a little clearer.)

Just redownload the zip / resync and the changes should appear.

Edit: Let me know if there are any other issues. Also, if you stumble across anything that desperately needs functionality. Except the refiner and the cauldron. Those things are last on my list. Except maybe the refiner. It's important for balance reasons.

Yes, this issue had been remarked before. It's the cloud waves that pass through the floor. We'll likely have to make their top part transparent to avoid it.

Oh and the clouds...they seem off when you change the camera...as in they get further away from each other and there's this blue fill between them. And the black spots...I though the whole game had them but apparently it's just U&A

Oh and the clouds...they seem off when you change the camera...as in they get further away from each other and there's this blue fill between them. And the black spots...I though the whole game had them but apparently it's just U&A

yeah that's been there a while, we never nailed the cause down if i remember rightly

Yes, this issue had been remarked before. It's the cloud waves that pass through the floor. We'll likely have to make their top part transparent to avoid it.

yeah that's been there a while, we never nailed the cause down if i remember rightly

Any combination of configurations for the wave textures yield the same problems. Aside from them showing up through the ground, as that can be fixed with transparency. I will try and change the texture we are using to more appropriately resemble the vanilla wave size, and then use the default wave settings as well, and see if the problem still exists. When I do that, I'll fix the transparency issue as well.

Edit: Also, does anybody have any concerns or suggestions for worldgen settings, or perhaps filler setpiece ideas to add a little more variation to the worldgen?

Any combination of configurations for the wave textures yield the same problems. Aside from them showing up through the ground, as that can be fixed with transparency. I will try and change the texture we are using to more appropriately resemble the vanilla wave size, and then use the default wave settings as well, and see if the problem still exists. When I do that, I'll fix the transparency issue as well.

Good to hear, will be up for some testing again tomorrow. Something I noticed though, is that I didn't find Sheep and Heat eggs right away, compared to the previous builds

well their spawning is biome related if I remember rightly so its all up to the world gen math

Right, but tasks can be given locks and keys, so we can make specific areas appear in a certain order. I'd simply add more detailed tasks to fill that role, if we wanted that effect.

Archived