[Testing] When In Doubt, Use Brute Force

simplex

Ah, I wished to make sure as Wendy has a similar issue with a vanilla structure.

yeah I noticed that, amongst the hundreds of generic quotes... at least none of the U&A stuff will remain generic for any character

if you are unsure of any bugs whether they are unimplemented or not either ask me or post it here in the discussion (as Ive bugged simplex many a time with that!)

yeah I noticed that, amongst the hundreds of generic quotes... at least none of the U&A stuff will remain generic for any character

if you are unsure of any bugs whether they are unimplemented or not either ask me or post it here in the discussion (as Ive bugged simplex many a time with that!)

Puns! Yeah. I'm one of the writers. I should have been aware of the lack of magic bean quotes ID. Ah well.

Not sure about this, but has anyone notice the graveyard fog is forming over the sky sea? Idk, but it looks odd to me.

Puns! Yeah. I'm one of the writers. I should have been aware of the lack of magic bean quotes ID. Ah well.

Not sure about this, but has anyone notice the graveyard fog is forming over the sky sea? Idk, but it looks odd to me.

for me the fog appears randomly and disappears randomly, but when i do see it it looks odd, don't think there's a way to change that though

I'll give it a shot, Im a little slow to try and figure out new things but if I can get it to work, great!

EDIT:

@simplex it seems to have stopped now, but I did only look after one static cycle, so I'll let you know if the issue arises again

@simplex it looks like (not sure if this is the case) the eggs are duplicating at the beginning of each static cycle, I tested this with and without other mods just to see if that would do anything (dunno why just thought it could affect something) 

well this is strange... I need to re create this without additional mods running to see if this happens normally (and no worries the videos are unlisted only those who visit this page can see it)

Couldn't the dual laying of eggs be simply two eggs being laid over two static cycles? Egg laying only happens offscreen, and the geese won't move while offscreen, so they will accumulate in one spot (it'd be nice to randomize the egg position, though).

And about the ram issue, I'll take a look at it as soon as I can. I have to buy a laptop that can run DS first. :razz: (being a desktop guy has its drawbacks...)

for me the fog appears randomly and disappears randomly, but when i do see it it looks odd, don't think there's a way to change that though

There might be. I'll have to check, when I'm able to.

Couldn't the dual laying of eggs be simply two eggs being laid over two static cycles? Egg laying only happens offscreen, and the geese won't move while offscreen, so they will accumulate in one spot (it'd be nice to randomize the egg position, though).

And about the ram issue, I'll take a look at it as soon as I can. I have to buy a laptop that can run DS first. :razz: (being a desktop guy has its drawbacks...)

that would explain it, now I see whats happening, I forget off-screen entities sit there and wait for you, randomisation would be nice albeit rather tough to add

and yeah desktops have their drawbacks

that would explain it, now I see whats happening, I forget off-screen entities sit there and wait for you, randomisation would be nice albeit rather tough to add

It wouldn't be tough at all. We'd just randomize the radius (between 0 and a maximum) and the angle (between 0 and 2*pi, radians), and give it a maximum number of tries, to account for the chosen location being invalid/occupied.

and yeah desktops have their drawbacks

It's not quite something you can just stick in a bag. :razz:

It wouldn't be tough at all. We'd just randomize the radius (between 0 and a maximum) and the angle (between 0 and 2*pi, radians), and give it a maximum number of tries, to account for the chosen location being invalid/occupied.

It's not quite something you can just stick in a bag. :razz:

fair enough, i'm a novice at the logistics of coding, now I know randomisation is a fair bit easier than it sounds

indeed, not the most portable of things!

fair enough, i'm a novice at the logistics of coding, now I know randomisation is a fair bit easier than it sounds

Writing a random number generator is quite complex. But once you have one (such as Lua's math.random()), you can (possibly after doing some scaling) get a random number between 0 and 1, i.e. an element of the unit interval [0, 1]. Taking two random numbers at a time gives you an element of the unit square (which, after scaling, may be seen as an arbitrary rectangle). Then, to get an arbitrary element in a circle, you just do this:

all.gif

Likewise, taking 3 random numbers at a time gives you an element of the unit cube, which can be mapped onto a solid sphere. This is what I'm using to randomize the spark position for the storm ram.

Writing a random number generator is quite complex. But once you have one (such as Lua's math.random()), you can (possibly after doing some scaling) get a random number between 0 and 1, i.e. an element of the unit interval [0, 1]. Taking two random numbers at a time gives you an element of the unit square (which, after scaling, may be seen as an arbitrary rectangle). Then, to get an arbitrary element in a circle, you just do this:

all.gif

Likewise, taking 3 random numbers at a time gives you an element of the unit cube, which can be mapped onto a solid sphere. This is what I'm using to randomize the spark position for the storm ram.

That gif is indecypherable to me.

Important Edit: Please test on the public preview of Don't Starve! I'm unsure of how some of this will work with the Moderately Friendly update.

I've began work on implementing biomes, testable in the latest commits. I figure we can use tasks (continents) as biome types and use rooms (regions) as various biomes that fit within that biome type. Also testing setpieces. The beanstalk/marble setpiece you will see throughout the level is a placeholder.

Biomes are very work in progress, obviously.

Edit: And, uh, there may be a testing crystal. It's currently a hut, because we have no art assets. :razz:

2LjLdne.jpg

So I don't get any kind of performance problems with the mod on both my work pc and my home pc. I know from reading the 'Up and Away' forums that it seems like more than one person is having problems with this. He was saying that the performance problems acted like stutters and went away after a bit. The stutters which settle would imply that you might be running low on video memory but that doesn't really fit considering the size of the textures in question. Would it be possible for you to try the mod with 4x4 level textures? That would somewhat confirm my guess. In the mean time, we have a pc at work which we use as our min spec test machine. I'll get the mod running on that and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regarding the stutter caused by the new ground types, could someone try this, please?

Regarding the stutter caused by the new ground types, could someone try this, please?

I'll see if I can recreate the issue

EDIT: @debugman18

the egg issue is arising again, it isn't preventing freezing I stood by it for a minute or two and just froze to death :^P

EDIT 3: yep I can confirm its the same issue, a perish-ability of heat over time

EDIT 2: this is strange... after death climbing the beanstalk will return you to your death point

2LjLdne.jpg

That's freaking gorgeous, debug!!!

I can do some new turfs this weekend, or a crystal, if you want. Let me know what's the priority.

PS: Is that lighting going to be permanent? The poopturf looks gorgeous, but a bit dark and menacing, don't you think? Also, there seems to be some pixelation on it, is that to be expected, or is it a problem with the Noise TEX?

PPS: Is everyone liking those waves? We could go with solid blue, with maybe a few white stripes, and remove the linework... I'll do another for comparison if i find the time.

Archived