[Testing] When In Doubt, Use Brute Force

simplex

will do, I'll try and generate a bunch of beanstalks at some point and post the maps here so you can decide if thats the spread of biomes you want

That's a wonderful idea. With console you can complete the map instantly with:

minimap = TheSim:FindFirstEntityWithTag("minimap").MiniMap:ShowArea(0,0,0,10000)​

@Craig_Perry

I put something in simplex testing. Now (provided it's installed and enabled), typing

regen_level()
will do what it says: regen the current level. It works for cloud levels, caves and the surface. I figured it might be useful, as a more convenient alternative to spawning a bunch of beanstalks and climbing up and down them all.

(maybe I should upload this mod properly, and rename it :razz:)

simplex_testing.zip

I need some help with github... i cant seem to add any repositories or even search for them

post-261887-0-61885100-1382264753_thumb.

as you can see Ive no idea how to use it with just these buttons avaliable

I downloaded it manually through the link to githubs website in the first page for now, but I wouldnt be able to sync changes this way

dealt with ignore rest of post

minimap = TheSim:FindFirstEntityWithTag("minimap").MiniMap:ShowArea(0,0,0,10000)​

this turns up with "attempt to index field "Minimap" a nil value" I tried changing it a bit and its still not working, i also checked the wiki but its the same command as this one any ideas?

I need some help with github... i cant seem to add any repositories or even search for them

attachicon.gifhelp....png

as you can see Ive no idea how to use it with just these buttons avaliable

I downloaded it manually through the link to githubs website in the first page for now, but I wouldnt be able to sync changes this way

EDIT:

@debugman18

this turns up with "attempt to index field "Minimap" a nil value" I tried changing it a bit and its still not working, i also checked the wiki but its the same command as this one any ideas?

Did you try right clicking in stuff, or checking the help section of the app?

And about the minimap thing, I believe you're just forgetting to capitalize one 'm'. But one way or another, as long as the debug keys are enabled (in particular, if simplex testing is), CTRL-M will reveal the whole map (actually, it'll toggle map revelation, so press it an odd number of times :razz:).

Did you try right clicking in stuff, or checking the help section of the app?

And about the minimap thing, I believe you're just forgetting to capitalize one 'm'. But one way or another, as long as the debug keys are enabled (in particular, if simplex testing is), CTRL-M will reveal the whole map (actually, it'll toggle map revelation, so press it an odd number of times :razz:).

simplex testing was enabled, shoudlve just looked up those hotkeys really

I put something in simplex testing.

(maybe I should upload this mod properly, and rename it :razz:)

Hey, this isn't the right place for this, but just to let you know: in simplex testing's consoleutils.lua, this code:

AddSimPostInit(function()	_G.RunScript "consolecommands"end)
will stomp on overwritten default console commands (like Better Console's c_select()) by re-overwriting them with the default code. Any reason you're not using require instead of RunScript? Took me quite a bit of frustration before realizing it could be simplex testing causing the issue.

Hey, this isn't the right place for this, but just to let you know: in simplex testing's consoleutils.lua, this code:

AddSimPostInit(function()	_G.RunScript "consolecommands"end)
will stomp on overwritten default console commands (like Better Console's c_select()) by re-overwriting them with the default code. Any reason you're not using require instead of RunScript? Took me quite a bit of frustration before realizing it could be simplex testing causing the issue.

I'm just using RunScript because for some reason this seems to be the "standard" way of importing console commands and to not clash with Better Console. Did you drop that preview branch? Because it is using RunScript (and is the code base of the mod I've kept using until now).

I don't see much point in RunScript myself, since it's just a worse version of require. However, since it and require use different "caching databases", the use of RunScript prevents the user from mistakenly overwriting the BetterConsole modifications, since the use of RunScript seems to be the documented one, and not require.

I'm just using RunScript because for some reason this seems to be the "standard" way of importing console commands and to not clash with Better Console. Did you drop that preview branch? Because it is using RunScript (and is the code base of the mod I've kept using until now).

I don't see much point in RunScript myself, since it's just a worse version of require. However, since it and require use different "caching databases", the use of RunScript prevents the user from mistakenly overwriting the BetterConsole modifications, since the use of RunScript seems to be the documented one, and not require.

Not sure where you're getting that RunScript is the standard for importing console commands. The only usage of the word "consolecommands" in all of Don't Starve's codebase is in debugkeys.lua and it uses require. Also, there are no actual calls of RunScript in all of the Don't Starve codebase.

About Better Console: there are actually a few things I need to figure out with the preview branch in terms of the console environment but haven't gotten around to yet; this RunScript call might not actually be the cause of something I thought it might be in the preview branch (in fact, Better Console using RunScript might be the issue, didn't realize that happened), but I know that the released version of Better Console is getting some of its console commands overwritten by _simplex_testing's RunScript call.

Just wanted to let you know about that potential for conflict, though. I've simply removed that part from my local copy of _simplex_testing.

Not sure where you're getting that RunScript is the standard for importing console commands. The only usage of the word "consolecommands" in all of Don't Starve's codebase is in debugkeys.lua and it uses require. Also, there are no actual calls of RunScript in all of the Don't Starve codebase.

It's what's documented in the wiki, and it does seem to be the standard way players do it, based on what's commonly said in threads talking about console usage. The game itself doesn't use RunScript, but it does use LoadScript, which does basically the same thing (RunScript calls LoadScript).

About Better Console: there are actually a few things I need to figure out with the preview branch in terms of the console environment but haven't gotten around to yet; this RunScript call might not actually be the cause of something I thought it might be in the preview branch (in fact, Better Console using RunScript might be the issue, didn't realize that happened), but I know that the released version of Better Console is getting some of its console commands overwritten by _simplex_testing's RunScript call.

Just wanted to let you know about that potential for conflict, though. I've simply removed that part from my local copy of _simplex_testing.

Sure, _simplex_testing is meant to be tweaked to suit a modder's use, and as mentioned in the comments in its code that RunScript call is redundant (and, apparently, harmful) if Better Console is also used. Though in the preview branch nothing could override the custom commands, since they are put in the console environment, which shadows the global one, so the custom versions would always take precedence.

I'm pretty sure, yeah. But I'll try that link now.

EDIT - Yeah, I was using that, I was just being stupid and did it wrong... My bad. :3

Ah, okay. I was pretty sure there weren't any more crashing bugs, but you can never be sure.

Anyways, the next commit will include a range of recipes, including cotton clothes, crystal lamps, the research lectern, cotton candy, smores, the weather machine... And whatever else I decide to add, which will probably be the monolith, the golden golem, and the beanclops. Not to mention I'll be adding a couple of the vanilla creatures to the world generation, namely frogs. (As per @lifemare's suggestion.)

Ah, okay. I was pretty sure there weren't any more crashing bugs, but you can never be sure.

Anyways, the next commit will include a range of recipes, including cotton clothes, crystal lamps, the research lectern, cotton candy, smores, the weather machine... And whatever else I decide to add, which will probably be the monolith, the golden golem, and the beanclops. Not to mention I'll be adding a couple of the vanilla creatures to the world generation, namely frogs. (As per @lifemare's suggestion.)

well, let me know when that commits up, its gonna need a bunch of testing

well, let me know when that commits up, its gonna need a bunch of testing

There's more than that, but those are what will probably stand out more. The next commit will definitely need testing; It is going to include the magnet, for moving around the electric spheres. That also involves the (living) gnomes. You'll be burning them...

There'll be what my friend and I call the grabber. This is the tool that will let you grab skyflies, but that isn't its main function. It'll extend the player's reach, so they'll be able to pick up items that are further away than normal.

Anyways, back to work.

The weather machine is something I want to tune properly. How do people feel about the weather machine working in the cloud realm? If used there, it should make static occur around-the-clock, but would also change the season to summer.

There's more than that, but those are what will probably stand out more. The next commit will definitely need testing; It is going to include the magnet, for moving around the electric spheres. That also involves the (living) gnomes. You'll be burning them...

There'll be what my friend and I call the grabber. This is the tool that will let you grab skyflies, but that isn't its main function. It'll extend the player's reach, so they'll be able to pick up items that are further away than normal.

Anyways, back to work.

The weather machine is something I want to tune properly. How do people feel about the weather machine working in the cloud realm? If used there, it should make static occur around-the-clock, but would also change the season to summer.

well, the weather machine is an interesting idea it'd be nice to have to not worry about winter even with the static being a problem. I think its current prospect is good

Archived