Your Top 3 Mains & Why You Play Them

Hey everyone! Just wanted to get a feel for the playstyles of the people on the forums.

Webber - I like the design and covering an area with spiders is fun :D

Wicker - fast start and infinite food is almost too much of a crutch at this point xD

WX-87 - I like having a goal of upgrading myself all the way. Also addicted to lightning speed boosts

Edited by InkArts

#1 Wormwood - meaningful, gamepaly-defining downside

#2 Wanda - she's broken and being op can be a nice break from playing as Wormwood

#3 Wurt - I like non-human characters and she also has a gameplay-defining downside

• Like 7

Let's see... well, I think it'd have to be:

1. Wilson:

I know, I know. But let me explain: he's a very easy character, and I really like his transmutations, especially Nitre --> Gold, Cut Stone --> Marble, and all of the gem transmutations (I also think his transmutations need a special animation, but that's a different discussion entirely). His Beard skills are nice, especially in Winter (I'm notoriously underprepared), when you need that tiny extra bit of insulation, and his Torch skills are invaluable when I first start out, because I turn branches and loops off, immediately craft two or three torches, then explore the entire outer edge of the mainland. He also has some ridiculous quotes.

2(for now). Wanda:

Alright, confession time: I've never played Wanda. In fact, I don't even have Wanda. However, she is, in my opinion, the greatest character in the entire game, bar none. She is #2 because I've never played her, but as soon as I do (and get good at it), she's sending Wilson down to #2 and claiming her rightful #1 spot.

3. Wigfrid:

LET ME FINISH. I know a lot of people consider Wigfrid cheating, but I don't (I mean, for one thing, she's a character, so she is intended to be played). In fact, her skill tree only made me like her more, in fact toppling Winona down to #othercharacters on the list. Her downside can be interesting, but my Woodie main friend and I have... ultimate jerry-rigged a food system. We have a bird in a cage. Occasionally, I go down to the swamp and facetank Tentacles and Spiders to get Monster Meat while my buddy stays at the base and farms crops. Then, I come back and feed some of the Monster Meat to the bird to get Eggs, and we cook dishes in our three (more coming) Crock Pots. We also have a Tallbird nest close to base, and so when the bird spawns, we just both go to it and destroy it, for extra Meat and a Tallbird Egg, which we use to cook the best dish in the game: Tall Scotch Eggs.

• Like 4

#1 Wurt

I love making bases and decoring villages with all types of walls, turf, tall trees, fireflies, mushroom lamps, well you get the idea, making a mega base/village.

But for all of that i need a lot of resources so having a merm army is so useful to farm bosses as well get wood, rocks, etc.

#2 Wormwood

Since the Skill Tree relase i didn't touch Wormwood a single time... but recently i start playing with him again and learning how to play not only as a Support/Base/Farmer character but also as a fighting one i may say he is really fun to play no matter what role you choose.

#3 Warly

Head Chef Skin the best warly skin, chill playstyle, Chilli powder, Volt Goat Jelly, bones and BURGERS im not gonna elaborate.

• Like 5

1/2: Wormwood/Wurt:

Wurt: i like her ability to be outfitted with some ridiculous outfits and Wurt is overall a better vegetarian Willson that's merms aligned.

Wormwood: the character i'm playing most ATM, overall good character with the ability to be outfitted with 'not as funny as Wurt' outfits. ability to heal ~only though lathering yourself with random s**t is fun.

3: UHHHH woodie: MOOOSE.

• Like 5

1: wormwood (honestly probably one of the best designed characters):

i like his downside but i mostly love the tons of weird upsides. Munching red mushrooms like carrots never gets old, i love lights out and he now has glowbugs (you have no idea how hyped i was about this) i like being able to manipulate my sanity with ease and i love having early living logs. (I modded him into dst before he was added)

2 wx78: he’s my preferred character for brainless playing. He also stars in my favorite challenge run (everything turned off in lights out). The ability to trivialize stats is just nice in general, plus who doesnt like speed boosts.

3 webber: originally my favorite, i just cant help but love both his personality and the horde gameplay loop. I’m just kind of tired of him, even though i have way more hours as wormwood at this point.

Edited by Copyafriend
Horde not hoard
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

#1 Wormwood - meaningful, gamepaly-defining downside

Just going to copy this since this is true for me as well.

#2 Warly - Same reason.
#3 Uh.... Wendy I guess because I like her personality.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

1. Triumphant Wormwood

2. Saladmander Wormwood

3. Winter skin Wormwood

If you don't dedicate all your time to one character, is it really a main?

:wilsontea:

This is truly the wormwood of favorite character picks

• Like 1
  • Health 1

47 minutes ago, SSneaky said:

1/2: Wormwood/Wurt:

Wurt: i like her ability to be outfitted with some ridiculous outfits and Wurt is overall a better vegetarian Willson that's merms aligned.

Wormwood: the character i'm playing most ATM, overall good character with the ability to be outfitted with 'not as funny as Wurt' outfits. ability to heal ~only though lathering yourself with random s**t is fun.

3: UHHHH woodie: MOOOSE.

Mines is the exact same as this. These are my 3 most played characters without including a few pick and switches.

Also Wurt and Wormwood seem to be the most populor so far.

Wurt: I like being the underdog (Wurt garbage), and i like the quality of life she brings like with sun/ice fish and kelp being easy to harvest so i dont need to bother with spamming meatballs or something.

Merms are also cool, and i hope Klei brings them to their full potential in the skilltree. Merm bases are just a bunch of merms who just loitter around.

Wormwood: Same as most people. Actually good and challenging downside, fun perks that work with the downside, flexible character where if you get bored of one playstyle you can easly change to another. (He offers a summoner, combat, support, farming and scout playstyle)

Woodie: Just flexible and fun. I play him for the goose and moose. The infinite axe is nice too. I wish they couod make a cool downside for him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

1. Triumphant Wormwood

2. Saladmander Wormwood

3. Winter skin Wormwood

If you don't dedicate all your time to one character, is it really a main?

Oh if we are talkin skins. Saladmander is by far #1 no contest.
#2 I'd put Moonbound
#3 Hollow
(I dabble in other characters... rarely; 95% is Wormwood, 4% is Warly, 1% is everyone else.)

• Like 1
  • GL Happy 1

the trio team?

warly: he can give food boost for the others and in general a more base huggin character so he can be the one doin most of the base check and building of whats needed

wortox: he can just teleport around the places and heal if needed, loot things from other side of the world? send wortox there with chester maybe, and scout out the caves

wigfrid: full on combat character, and still supportive to give the other helmets aswell and the battle songs, and just in general make the combat a bit faster

• Like 1

Wanda - "walk all the way over to the desert / atrium / moon quay / back to base? No thank you"

Wicker - "wait for plants to grow? Nah"

Wurt for the drip

• Like 5

Wikerbottom/Maxwell, Wanda and Wurt. 

I like Wikerbottom because she has a bunch of boss and resource farms to perform. It's satisfying for me to build those, and then stuck up on resources I'll never use. Maxwell is a direct upgrade since his spells have a strong synergy with books. I'll count them as 1 character. 

Wanda teleports and that's about it. I don't like beefalo and I don't like walking. Wortox is all over the place but Wanda's clocks take time, and I like it that way more. 

And Wurt is highly relaxing character. I like to just play slow as her and spend most of my time at base. 

• Like 2

Willow - Primarily I just like crazy girls who want to burn the world down.  From Wednesday Addams to Annie from League, and into Willow with DST.  In fact Willow is the only reason I picked up DS.  I liked the gothic style graphics, but wasn't really too interested.  My friend pointed out you get to unlock a girl who starts fires when she's crazy and well, I've been here ever since lol.  I like her re-work for giving her a bit of power to go with her theme.  She had a few bad re-works before, its finally nice to see her get something good.

Wanda - The age mechanic is very fun, and her glass cannon style combined with the range of the alarming clock opens some unique play options for her.  Teleporting is very useful, especially in groups where you can rip a portal to get everyone from a surface base to AFW in an instant.  I do like her theming, but for her its mostly a unique take on a powerful character.  Unlike Wolfgang who is both strong and fairly tanky, Wanda changes it up.  She is quite powerful, but has a different - more fun - kinda jank to her.

Warly - He's just a fun character to play.  He changes my goals for food and resource production, and makes a real shift in how the game feels.  I especially like how he can scale up a multi-player team to be even that much better!  Mistery toad is trash when you have 2-3 ppl who are pumped on volt jelly in wet caves.

• Like 6

1. Wanda (by a longshot): As someone who likes to megabase, one of the biggest time sinks you will encounter is walking to and from a destination. These can range from a few seconds to around a few minutes, and that's with things like cobble roads to reduce the time it takes to make it to that destination. Wanda reduces that time to half a second to how long it takes to load the other shard via backtrek watches. The time this saves cannot be understated, and is by far the greatest part of her kit to me. It also feels rewarding to stockpile the tusks/other materials to make enough watches to setup a reliable teleport network to any destination you want

Apart from this, I like her gimmicks of age/limited healing options, along with her personality, as well. I think it's a fun twist from a normal character.

2. Maxwell/Wicker (Yes I know Maxwell can read Wicker's books which means technically she doesn't need to be here, and No I don't care): The applications of the books/shadow puppets is immense, and are extremely helpful for base building. From Applied silviculture growing most of the basic resource you might want massive stockpiles of, to practical rain rituals giving you reliable rain control, to the shadow puppets assisting with a mass tree harvest, you can't really go wrong with using their perks.

3. Woodie: He's my personal favorite "early" game character. His skill tree influences a lot of the early game, and personally makes it a lot more enjoyable. He also doubles as a very nice way to mass cut trees without worry of treeguards/bulk break things like dreadstone walls if you are planning to dupe them, leading to some pretty nice utility even later on.

• Like 3

Wes. He isn’t different, his gameplay is just so engaging and fun to toy around with, not to mention his actual items can still be useful, like the balloon vest saving you from drowning or the speedy balloon in early game is very helpful. After it deflates, it’s still very pretty. As a person who’s addicted to building, I also love decorating. But personally, Wes skins is my favorite part of maining Wes. Triumphant is too badass to not wear 50% of the time.

Wormwood. I find the bramble husk very useful to me and a bunch of different ways. His healing is easy to make. Tents, inventory-held heals, etc… Not to mention his character design is beautiful too.

Woodie- His combat is okay, goose form is a bit practical, but base woodie with honey spiced foods is too good. Chopping trees is a hassle, (especially maining a character with chore deficiency) unlike mining rocks. In under a hour, you can get 200 boards.

Also keep in mind that Wes gets 90% of my attention. I don’t actually main the other 2 characters (kinda), I just use them more often then every other character that I don’t usually play.

Edited by Trontar
  • Like 1
  • GL Happy 1

wormwood

cute.
DisadvantagesThe advantages are clear.
You can change your play style depending on the people you play with.
Movement speed is fast. And cute.
(I'll say it twice because it's important. Cute is justice.)

wicker bottom

When I first started playing this game, my first inspiration was that I wanted to use Wicker Bottom.
Because I myself have insomnia.
I wasn't very good at brain management at the time, so I started playing Wormwood. She is also a character I would like to play again.

I can't rank her because she hardly uses any other characters.

• Like 1

Wendy (both DS & DST for different reasons) DS: Because I enjoyed having to “Sacrifice” kills to my sisters flower to summon her ghost, and I also enjoyed how Wendy had to lure enemies TOO Abigail before she would attack them.. (like Rabbits) fun fact.. Wendy is how I learned MOST of the games Kiting things to other players/into traps.

DST for her amazing skin sets, and how she’s the single best character you can possibly pick to help players who are new to the game.. with her easy ways of self healing by just letting Abby go riled up mode in a field of butterflies- Wendy can craft enough telltale hearts to supply an entire server full of noobs with revives when they inevitably die learning the game.

It is Super important to “Help” others, by giving top hats for sanity, and silks for tents & boat masts, but do not.. and I repeat. DO NOT let them rely on you to use Abigail as a means to solve all their problems.

My second favorite DST character is Wurt, I enjoy being able to build up this massive kingdom of a game mob that can, otherwise go completely extinct in long-term game worlds (really hoping Klei gets around to updating the game so mobs and resources can rebuild over time) never underestimate the power of Wonder Woman and her 300 amazonians. Or Err.. something like that.

My third most favorite has to be Willow (now with skill tree) prior to the skill tree though she was as boring and bland as Wilson.. plus she’s has some amazing skins!

• Like 4
  • Wavey 1

right now probably Wigfrid, Wolf and WX, Woodie as 4th. Wolf and WX because i like to do things faster, and Wigfrid when I want to chill because she's just so comfortable to play as from day 1, don't ever need to care about my stats, and her spear abbility is so fun to play around with

• Like 1