The game is turning into a mess. All what was once built is now being destroyed. We don't know what Klei's intention, mission and philosophy is anymore.

If Klei responded to every little complaint that was posted simply so one person among their large demographic of players were pleased we'd frankly see far less progress on DST than YanSim. 

Klei has previously stated that they do not directly participate in discussions about their games because they don't want to forcefully influence the community to any particular point of view. While I can understand concerns with this approach it's important to note that this leaves Klei able to keep their vision apart from whatever chaos the community provides. 

And to claim that Klei never responds to feedback is simply entitled and false. Half a decade, give or take, of completely free expansion content, Quality of Life updates and fine tuning on hotly debated character updates is proof. 

And about the "Uncompromising" mindset, this philosophy completely died with the very premise of multiplayer. Don't Starve was intended to be a single player game, and then people begged and begged until they gotbwhat they wanted, only to find it was no longer what they wanted despite it being a natural consequence.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/80084/dont-starve-your-questions-answered

Heck Don't Starve Together was intended to be simply Reign of Giants but multiplayer, not an entire reinvention of the gane but Klei decided to keep the IP alive with aforementioned free updates. 

https://n4g.com/user/blogpost/indiemonth/528283

At the end of the day. It is important to realize that Klei has their own visions for the game. While they certainly listen to feedback despite not always directly engaging in community discourse, and while you can always disagree and suggest whatever your heart seems is right, you simply cannot expect Klei to act like you would demand them to. 

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 18
  • Big Ups 1

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I disagree with the op though, the game is not too easy, I still die.. I still die a lot- especially when attempting to fight bosses

The game IS hard, it still a gard game.

4 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

If Klei responded to every little complaint that was posted simply so one person among their large demographic of players were pleased we'd frankly see far less progress on DST than YanSim. 

Klei has previously stated that they do not directly participate in discussions about their games because they don't want to forcefully influence the community to any particular point of view. While I can understand concerns with this approach it's important to note that this leaves Klei able to keep their vision apart from whatever chaos the community provides. 

And to claim that Klei never responds to feedback is simply entitled and false. Half a decade, give or take, of completely free expansion content, Quality of Life updates and fine tuning on hotly debated character updates is proof. 

And about the "Uncompromising" mindset, this philosophy completely died with the very premise of multiplayer. Don't Starve was intended to be a single player game, and then people begged and begged until they gotbwhat they wanted, only to find it was no longer what they wanted despite it being a natural consequence.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/80084/dont-starve-your-questions-answered

Heck Don't Starve Together was intended to be simply Reign of Giants but multiplayer, not an entire reinvention of the gane but Klei decided to keep the IP alive with aforementioned free updates. 

https://n4g.com/user/blogpost/indiemonth/528283

At the end of the day. It is important to realize that Klei has their own visions for the game. While they certainly listen to feedback despite not always directly engaging in community discourse, and while you can always disagree and suggest whatever your heart seems is right, you simply cannot expect Klei to act like you would demand them to. 

Ok. I guess I will stop playing.

I wanted atleast to recieved feedback on my point of views, but people are hard to talk, rarely one can give substantial counter arguments to fruitfully enjoy an end product. Participating further is useless.

I have to lie to myself that the game is perfect.

Can't i atleast get treated right in the roadmaps? The one we got was so blank, that I can add things interpret it a million ways.

6 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Ok. I guess I will stop playing.

If it isn't working out for you, then by all means, take a break!

I took a nearly two year long one before tryingnout Warly this year, and there's simply so much more games to play out there until some new update gets you interested again. No need to expend so much energy not having fun, if you really arent. 

Edit: Particular to note is the excellent Palworld dev response to dropping active player counts:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/palworld-devs-response-to-player-drop-off-is-what-we-need/#:~:text=If you are still playing,what you think of Palworld.

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 2
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1

Posted (edited)

I want to defend Klei, but what the heck is infinite storage? How do I do that now? What do I say about this?

3 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I took a nearly two year long one before tryingnout Warly this year, and there's simply so much more games to play out there until some new update gets you interested again. No need to expend so much energy not having fun, if you really arent. 

Edit: now that the intended argument went by, there is no reason to keep this in here..

Edited by Swiyss
  • Wavey 1

3 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

I want to defend Klei, but what the heck is infinite storage? How do I do that now? What do I say about this?

Wait to see the cost.. Give feedback throughout the beta, like how you'd do with any other feature. It's just meant to exist for megabasers. Also the floor is also extremely broken storage

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 1

Just now, Catuna_ said:

Wait to see the cost.. Give feedback throughout the beta, like how you'd do with any other feature. It's just meant to exist for megabasers. Also the floor is also extremely broken storage

But why not make it 999 only?

1983848839598377199282 slots feel like too much doesn't it?

Listen. From 40, with 9 slots, to infinite.........

It was the same as willow, from nothing to magic oblivion insanity

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Just now, Swiyss said:

The update's beta isn't even out yet, this is all subject to change. It'll get tuned down if people want it to. What's the point of making such a big fuss about this?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I would love if klei atleast directed us. Like they said they won't change the wilson skillset, good. 

They need to be more resilient. They need to say "no" more.

If these questions were answered in the roadmap, we wouldn't be discussing them today.

Edited by Swiyss
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

I mean, I don't really see the issue of infinite storage. This isn't like MC/Terrarria where you can't leave items on the ground or they despawn so you need to use the storage options. For the most part, with some minor prep, you can just indefinitely stack the exact same item on the ground countless times. The only issue you would run into is performance issues, something the chest avoids doing because of this.

• Like 10
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 4

1 minute ago, Catuna_ said:

The update's beta isn't even out yet, this is all subject to change. It'll get tuned down if people want it to. What's the point of making such a big fuss about this?

Idk, how can I not be tired of this.

I changed a lot here in the forums, but I will have to remodel my whole brain mass and cognitive functions to process infinite storage.

Every single 6 years of collective knowledge from people that are not even here anymore, people that stopped playing the game. All of what they did is being forgotten. All the arguments about it now being simply forgotten.

That's my point, new features could be way better.

1 minute ago, Maxil20 said:

I mean, I don't really see the issue of infinite storage. This isn't like MC/Terrarria where you can't leave items on the ground or they despawn so you need to use the storage options. For the most part, with some minor prep, you can just indefinitely stack the exact same item on the ground countless times. The only issue you would run into is performance issues, something the chest avoids doing because of this.

No one actually gets more than 2 stacks of 999 rocks dude. We can make more chests. That's my point.

My point is that people died saying that mods like backpack+armor were wrong. Giant chests and ice box were wrong etc.. 

Why? Why destroy what was once a philosophy? Why simply make ALL years of work in development from the start of the game until now go to waste like that?

They didn't add these back in the day, why now? Why suddenly that IS an issue when you can place them on the ground?

See, I can use the same argument.

Dude, the chets protects against moleworms, hounds, bats, etc.. it is an organizing feature.

Why not 999? That is MORE than enough, you can always make more of these chests dude. We got a wobot to store them now.

I'm all for making suggestions and trying to influence the direction of the game. 

But some of the stuff here gets overly negative.

Imagine being a dev and all you see are overly dramatic negative posts. 

Does making stacks go up to a billion seem silly sure? Does it make any difference from that vs 999 for game balance? Definitely not 

• Like 10
  • Sanity 1

Now don't get me wrong. I will say this.

I

Also

Want

Better

Storage.

But this is not the path, not the way, not the vision.

Just now, Kwaik said:

Does it make any difference from that vs 999 for game balance? Definitely not 

That's because you don't understand. How long you been playing for?

• Like 1
  • Potato Cup 2

22 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Edit: Particular to note is the excellent Palworld dev response to dropping active player counts:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/palworld-devs-response-to-player-drop-off-is-what-we-need/#:~:text=If you are still playing,what you think of Palworld.

Speaking of Palworld I didn’t stop playing it because I don’t want to play it, I stopped playing it because it was entirely just too broken, everytime you try to do pretty much anything the game crashed, so it’s not surprising the game has massively dropped in player numbers, but it’s also in early preview, so I’ll look back into it after the rough edges get ironed out.

As far as some other games I’ve been playing to occupy my time between DST update (especially this highly boring boat mini game year of update..)

I recently downloaded Stumble Guys & Pixel Strike 3D & I started playing Minecraft again.

Stumble Guys is a fallguy ripoff but with a few key differences such as car racing and fps death matches. Pixel Strike- Ehhh the best way to describe this game is its Call Of Duty but with Minecraft graphics.

I still dip into DST from time to time, but when I get burned out on it and still want to play DS I play the single player versions adventures mode/shipwrecked/hamlet.

I wish RotWood was on Xbox, that’s a Klei RogueLite right? It looks fun.

• Like 1

I do not want to tell anyone how they can or cannot play.

I do not want to lead people to only believe in my views.

I do not want to be the lead developer for ideas in this game.

I do not want to be rude with anyone here or the team at Klei.

But I feel for people.

I feel for everyone that left the game's discussion for being ridiculed as much as Klei also feels.

But I am an advocate for transparency and communication.

When wolfgang got the firebell, I will admit. I actually felt for that willow player who left. Justice was not made with her skill tree. It was a tragedy. It felt like kicking a dead dog.

And when I gave my point of view, all I got was the complete opposite opinions from people that explicitly said that they never even played willow before the skill tree.

A niche, a small group of people losing the very little thing they have, all for the majority to enjoy.

That, is Uncompromising.

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

especially this highly boring boat mini game year of update..

Bro I almost exploded trying not to critize that update because of how inconsiderate it was. I literally face palmed THE MOMENT I saw a scaled boat in the forum post art.

Tried everything to be positive until somewhat recently.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

No one actually gets more than 2 stacks of 999 rocks dude. We can make more chests. That's my point.

But the intentions of the storage isn’t to build more chests. You mentioned that you don’t see many people getting 999 stacks of items, so I don’t really see how that impacts you that the chest goes up to infinite when most people will never go above that and only some people will.

21 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

My point is that people died saying that mods like backpack+armor were wrong. Giant chests and ice box were wrong etc.. 

That’s not everyone, though. Plus, a lot of this stemmed from a rather aggressive approach to how people viewed mods back in the DS era (people would genuinely shun you if you used mods like combined status because you could see your temperature…)

23 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

They didn't add these back in the day, why now? Why suddenly that IS an issue when you can place them on the ground?

See, I can use the same argument.

Dude, the chets protects against moleworms, hounds, bats, etc.. it is an organizing feature.

Why not 999? That is MORE than enough, you can always make more of these chests dude. We got a wobot to store them now.

Why is it suddenly an issue that you have a massive gripe with? I never thought in all of my years of playing this game someone would hate an infinite storage solution this much. It’s also not like it came out of nowhere, either. People have been wanting better storage options for years at this point. I’m quite impressed where that went, but the end result is still the same of getting a storage solution people are happy about.

Also, while it does protect some things from being eaten/stolen, it’s very easy to prepare the area to prevent that. Either dig up the moleworms, or just build 2-3 chests to store things like ashes/pig skin to set you for the first few hundred days. It’s what I usually do in my worlds and it covers me until I want to start with projects.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maxil20 said:

the intentions of the storage isn’t to build more chests. You mentioned that you don’t see many people getting 999 stacks of items, so I don’t really see how that impacts you that the chest goes up to infinite when most people will never go above that and only some people will

It looks like cheating from a mod that a 15 year old did in 3 days. Without disrespecting the team or the devs. I have to be as honest as possible without soundind rude. Sorry if it offends anyone.

Just now, ZTheNecromancer said:

Imma be honest with ya chief, this seems less like a criticism of the game and more like a build up of frustration-you should take a break, it'll help a lot

You're right, it is definitely that. Still I believe in the idea that if something wants to be said, it has to be said. All of that without letting emotions rule of course. And without disagreement only for the sake of emotional unintelligent.

7 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

But the intentions of the storage isn’t to build more chests. You mentioned that you don’t see many people getting 999 stacks of items, so I don’t really see how that impacts you that the chest goes up to infinite when most people will never go above that and only some people will.

That’s not everyone, though. Plus, a lot of this stemmed from a rather aggressive approach to how people viewed mods back in the DS era (people would genuinely shun you if you used mods like combined status because you could see your temperature…)

Why is it suddenly an issue that you have a massive gripe with? I never thought in all of my years of playing this game someone would hate an infinite storage solution this much. It’s also not like it came out of nowhere, either. People have been wanting better storage options for years at this point. I’m quite impressed where that went, but the end result is still the same of getting a storage solution people are happy about.

Also, while it does protect some things from being eaten/stolen, it’s very easy to prepare the area to prevent that. Either dig up the moleworms, or just build 2-3 chests to store things like ashes/pig skin to set you for the first few hundred days. It’s what I usually do in my worlds and it covers me until I want to start with projects.

Ok ok. Imagine if........... (play the drums)................ they add godmode to survival!!!!! 

What? I never ever thought that ANYONE would think this is a bad idea?!!?? No no no no. This is actually VERY balanced and extremely O.K. why would one NOT want to be invincible, right? Ha ha ha. It is NOT like this TOTALLY INTENDED feature disregards a ton of other survival fundamentals of the game.

All I can say is that, when my brain was developing, I only studied, played and thought about dont starve. This is why I am somewhat thoughtful about these things. I literally cannot process.

But if klei says they want it because why not, then whatever, what can I do.

• Potato Cup 1

9 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

There are ALOT of Factors that goes into a huge storage box that holds infinite?? Storage.. First of all it’ll probably more reasonably cap the resources stored in it to 999. But here are the things Klei probably HAVENT Taken into consideration-

How Will this new chest effect boats? (assuming it can even be placed on a boat..)

The entire point of needing to build more storage chests is to store more items. And there’s only so many chests you can fit on a boat.

Well there was… until we got one that’s coming with infinite?? Storage.

How will they nerf that? DO they even plan to Nerf it at all???

Will the larger chests just not be placeable on a Boat? Will characters get some silly quote like “It’ll weigh my ship down & sink!” 

And one of the things I’m personally immediately questioning- Wait so you’re telling me there’s this infinite storage chest coming, but Maxwells Shadow Storage doesn’t do that?? something just feels off here.

And yes I TOTALLY feel like the Mega Big Chest (that’s the official name I’m calling it by from this point forward) is only being added to the game to cater to Megabasers.

• Like 2

Still I will say what I think.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

And one of the things I’m personally immediately questioning- Wait so you’re telling me there’s this infinite storage chest coming, but Maxwells Shadow Storage doesn’t do that?? something just feels off here

EXACTLY, without even getting close to a rational reason, you can already see how this would ruin the game. All other storages are now.. useless. 

What is next, infinite icebox? Infinite maxwell hat in his skill tree? Infinite fishing bin? What is the reason to not stack items even? Make blueprints stackable, make weapons stackable. 

What is next? Infinite inventory space? 

Oh, bring the rocks, the 1855 of them at the base, you don't need a krampus sack no no no. Just put e everything in your Infinite Void Class Inventory Slot that took you 100 fuelweaver kills + 1 thousand pure horror to get. THAT is a real chinese rpg gatcha system.

Maybe tencent influence was actually bad.

• Haha 1

Yeah something feels off, i can't put my finger on what it is but it feels off. Maybe it's just the big changes but the new follow robot thing feels way out of place (even tho i like the function a lot). Feels like what's happening to Minecraft, the feel that the earlier versions had isn't there anymore. I do like the extra content tho even when it's off...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Yeah something feels off, i can't put my finger on what it is but it feels off. Maybe it's just the big changes but the new follow robot thing feels way out of place (even tho i like the function a lot). Feels like what's happening to Minecraft, the feel that the earlier versions had isn't there anymore. I do like the extra content tho even when it's off...

The thing is, they didn't add this before, but are doing it now.

They should ATLEAST, BARE MINIMUM give us a lore explanation

If not, everything feels completely out of place. Except for the frozen fishing ponds for example.. that type of added content is simple and yet still in place.

I know that the beta isn't even out yet, but I wanted to say these things before release. Some of these issues seem to repeat itself. The same thing happening.

5 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

They should ATLEAST, BARE MINIMUM give us a lore explanation

Honestly, just give up on the lore. It's not worth it, half the stuff is retconned or gave up on. Stance on solo dlcs are weird, they acted like the -orge events didn't happen when they could've easily given it a simple conclusion to appease the people who like the lore. And everytime an update drops we never get actual story progression, it's just ooooo old man does mysterious stuff that trifled with moons mood or shadow woman playing peekaboo with an eldritch god.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In my opinion, Don't Starve relies too much in the lack of information you're given and huge amount of time you'd need to figure things out on your own. Once you get to know a few things, you suddenly realize the game itself was never hard, you just didn't know what you needed, and it has been like that since the begining. Difficultty was never a thing. About characters' downsides not evolving along their upsides... I would prefer if it wasn't that way, but whatever. Maybe when skill trees are done we'll get yet another cycle of character updates doing downsides overhaul. "yay".

3 hours ago, Swiyss said:

Old gameplay mechanics and fundamental ds features not being adressed because of the addition of late game. And every single feature being added focus on late game.

You can't satisfy everyone. Before, Klei was focusing in early/mid-game content. People complained about the lack of things to do in late, and now that they are doing it, people are complaining about the lack of updates for early/mid-game.

I think you have to step back and try calm down for a moment, you sound a lil' agitated.

Edited by SapoLover
  • Like 6
  • Sanity 1

2 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Honestly, just give up on the lore. It's not worth it, half the stuff is retconned or gave up on. Stance on solo dlcs are weird, they acted like the -orge events didn't happen when they could've easily given it a simple conclusion to appease the people who like the lore. And everytime an update drops we never get actual story progression, it's just ooooo old man does mysterious stuff that trifled with moons mood or shadow woman playing peekaboo with an eldritch god.

Xddd

2 minutes ago, SapoLover said:

In my opinion, Don't Starve relies too much in the lack of information you're given. Once you get to know a few things, you suddenly realize the game itself was never hard, you just didn't know what you needed, and it has been like that since the begining. About characters' downsides not evolving along their upsides... I would prefer if it wasn't that way, but whatever. MAybe when skill trees are done we'll get yet another cycle of character updates doing downsides' overhaul.

You can't satisfy everyone. Before, Klei was focusing in early/mid-game content. People complained about the lack of things to do in late, and now that they are doing it, people are complaining about the lack of updates for early/mid-game.

I think you have to step back and try calm down for a moment, you sound a lil' agitated.

I am not an english speaker, so I will always sound like x y or z for you. I am simply using the words I can translate to portrait my ideas.

And about the downside thing...

Wilsons upside is that he doesn't have a downside.

Then klei removes other characters downsides with skill trees.

Wilson is forgotten.

And, we don't get to see actual progress being made while acquiring insight, it simply comes as time goes and it is permanent per account.

Instead of adding a new progress check, with things like for example: kill 3 spider nest to unlock skill, find a floating pot in the ocean to unlock skill. It would fix people not wanting to play the game because of the lack of interest on the very things the game offer. And it would add a nice rewarding progression to it without making it too easy. The skill trees were SAID to be features added for experienced players, yet it accomplishes nothing but indefinite survival for 150 days, and now they are probably changing it to 75 days, making it even easier. The game IS getting easier.

Some characters downsides should not be negated by skill trees, they should not make the chracters identity obsolete. Adding photosynthesis to wormwood was awesome, now they are buffing it when it was fine. I was playing thousand of days as wormwood, already thinking of how OP it was, with the very little work I had to do to unlock it. Now it is even stronger. It doesn't make sense .

And what ppl usually dont understand is that I am NOT AGAINST having this feature. I am against simply adding them without a progressive way to accomplish them, they should require effort. Surviving 150 days IS actually an effort, but for that to happen only ONCE? and then you can start day 1 again? That doesn't make sense.

It is like the real world doesn't allow you to fly on your own. Then for God to randomly make people teleport to places and run like flash after 15 years old. Everything would be doomed. Imagine all car industries and etc.. so much breaks with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SSneaky said:

Lost me at uncom... 

Wait what was I going to say, unfair?

Yeah let's go with that.

Uncompromising does not mean bad or unfair.

For example, Cuphead is an uncompromising game, very little eyeframes (none at all for special attacks), many boss attacks, yet the bosses still feel fair and down to skill (besides a few). Though the difference of course is the genres, since cuphead bosses are like 2 minutes wring and dst is a survival game.

Uncompromising is unforgiving.

• Like 3