Your minor annoyances?

I am curious on the dst community's minor annoyances about the game and what they are.

This is minor, not things you think suck or need reworking, an example (crab king!, boats are bad!, Kiting is flawed!)

My list of minor annoyances include the following.

That weird pathing glitch when placing fences or walls (I can explain this further if someone is curious)

Celestial champion items can be acquired by the 2nd static solo (even easier with more people)

Attacking the farthest shadow you hit last when there are more than 2 (attack the closest one for goodness sake!)

Seeds turn to rot (litters the world over time)

Tamed Beefalo walk into your face 24/7(I love you but leave me alone!)

Malbatross spawning is still scuffed

Toadstool and dragonfly drop so little scales (its multiplayer why are we getting 1 or 3?)

More will come to my mind later but let me hear yours!

• Like 9
  • Spooky 1

All eardrum piercing ping noises. 

Like the ping from approaching a science machine when theres something u can prototype.

Moving in and out of range of one when ur just trying to move around ur base and constantly being blasted by the PING PING PING PING PING drives me up the wall. :lol:

Mostly an issue for early game floor bases when alch, fire pit, kitchen etc is all close to eachother.. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Sikers said:

Structure placement. Why can I put the pots and then the fridge in the middle but when I start with the fridge it doesn't work or placing anything boat 

I think, it is this way for the sake of performance. For it to work the way you want, the game would have to check for all of the objects around the point you want to place, if there's something colliding with you structure you're placing, you can't place.

The problem is, there isn't a simple way to tell whether something is colliding at one point, because different objects have different collision radius, so you would have to increase the search range to the maximum radius that exists, then go through each object within a circle of said radius, check whether each object can collide with your structure to be placed. That's not optimal performance wise. So Klei have to do the opposite, check whether something is in this circle, if yes you can't place. Faster but can create weird placement order issues.

• Like 1

Audio configs. We can configure music, ambient (but not the one of the ocean), and the rest

The rest needs to be split up in multiple categories like many other games does nowadays.

For the most the sound design of the game is great -

Spoiler

except this... it pierces my ears.

- but there are sounds I can't tolerate so I had to mute them. Irl I need to be assaulted by a bee to barely hear it, in DST their takeoff sound can be heard a whole screen away aaaaa ! :crushed:

We could have the current "Sound FX Volume" to be the new Master config and still have extra volume options for the UI, characters and their voices, foley and movements, structures and tools, mobs in general.

While I'm talking sound, we need a config to change the duration for musics to play. Bonus point if we can change it based on which because surely the "work theme" is nice when extended, but the farm music...

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 3

1 hour ago, Sikers said:

Structure placement. Why can I put the pots and then the fridge in the middle but when I start with the fridge it doesn't work or placing anything boat 

This so much! I hate how I have to place my buildings before I place my walls because for some reason walls add a tile radius of "No building"

• Like 7

I think the main nitpick I have is whenever you right click the polar bearger bin in your inventory to eat from it, it throws it out if your inventory onto a random spot on the ground. It’s not a terrible thing or anything, it just feels a little cumbersome to right click it, eat what you need, and then go over and pick up the bin again, compared to if it just stayed in the inventory and allowed you to close it by right clicking it again.

• Like 5

Mines a weird one but I still hate the Craft UI, I can pin/unpin things to these tabs, including Character Specific craftables- But it’s sooooo clunky & not actually any faster to use at all, that I just completely avoid using it altogether and just craft things from the full Craft UI Tab instead of my Pinned Items Tab.

I hate how if I pin for example Wendys Ectho potions to the Tab, if I start a new world as Wolfgang Wendys potions are still pinned in the tabs… lol, for this reason alone- I just pull up the full craft menu and tab over character exclusive crafts.

Its a lot faster than having to pin/unpin things I can’t even use..

Now days I only pin key important items, like helmet, weapon, boat kits, Campfire/Endo fire etc..

But NEVER anything I wouldn’t be using if I started a new world as a different character.

Klei could’ve fixed this so pinned items only saved the memory of the current saved worlds pins, but unfortunately the pins carry over from world to world & therefore- Wormwood doesn’t need a list of Wickerbottom Books.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

12 minutes ago, _zwb said:

So Klei have to do the opposite, check whether something is in this circle, if yes you can't place.

After finding an object in the circle (which is faster, as you said), it can then check if the object's distance to cursor is bigger than tolerance.

For example, when it checks the circle, the first object it's found is a fridge

- if it's too close even for the fridge placement (not pots placement), then disallow it

- if the fridge is not too close for fridge placement, then ignore the fridge and search for the next object in the circle. If no other objects are found, then allow building to be placed even tho it's too close for the pot's placement range.

This way, the performance hit is still trivia but can solves the problem.

Klaus giving useless drops like a single down feather, one desert stone, or literally just a tall bird egg. No one would fight this boss repeatedly if it weren't for the wax paper.

Merms from that one setpiece with the pighouse that will chase you halfway across the world because they have no home.

• Like 3

I don't like the new Craft UI because it takes huge chunk of screen.

One main reason this was introduced was to reduce scroll. But Craft UI isn't the only way. We can just page the scroll so that each scroll gets a new column instead of a new item in old UI.

The current UI still have the same scrolling problem when you enable the "creative" mod via command line. Each scroll gets a new row and it's very slow (when you don't remember the name of the item and have to scroll through them). Again, paging (or half paging) can solve it.

Another reason was to add more categories. But that's also easily solvable by introducing another column of categories.

Pinned shortcuts and search function are totally compatible to other alternatives or even the old crafting UI.

Yes, it's argubly looking more standardized and closer to modern UI. But this is a video game, arts and styles are value more. And new UI requires more mouse clicks. I think there are so many other better ways improve the UI and reduce its screen sizes and improve its efficiency, even if we don't go back to the old UI.

Edited by goatt
  • Like 2

Oh another thing I hate- this is probably exclusively a Console problem but.. boat placement is a pain in the butt you have to literally walk close enough to a shoreline and then move your character around until the boat turns green to place the darned thing.

Yet Willow has cool Firepower’s where you can use her embers and then she gets an on screen Display to choose where to summon her fireballs at any distance, and any direction around her as long as she’s able to do so..

I don’t want to tell Klei how to do their jobs, but when you “Use” a boat kit it should have given players this same freedom of choosing where to place the boat same as how Willows embers work on a controller…

This would solve every single problem I have with needing to stand at the edge of the map walking my character back and fourth till the thing finally allows the boat to turn green & place.

10 minutes ago, goatt said:

After finding an object in the circle (which is faster, as you said), it can then check if the object's distance to cursor is bigger than tolerance.

For example, when it checks the circle, the first object it's found is a fridge

- if it's too close even for the fridge placement (not pots placement), then disallow it

- if the fridge is not too close for fridge placement, then ignore the fridge and search for the next object in the circle. If no other objects are found, then allow building to be placed even tho it's too close for the pot's placement range.

This way, the performance hit is still trivia but can solves the problem.

No, no, you missed the point, the point is you can't know for sure what's the search range you should use, so you have to take the maximum collision radius of all entities, which leads to a lot of unnecessary calculations for entities not affecting placement. Plus these calculations have to be done in a fraction of a second to match the frame rate.

Idk, maybe this is actually viable, could try to mod this some day.

3 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Super random Autumn rain that can last for ages.

I'm sorry but these random autumn rains are awesome. It gives a more realistic tone to the game. Like anything could happen at any time. Everything being predictable is boring.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

Catcoons. They're still broken and don't accept healing items. Also the inability to create sea stacks. Everyone always says how they hate these things and strive to get rid of them, but sea weed farm for more easy barnacles wouldn't hurt anyone. Like, we already can get the roots to replant them, why not give the option to actually choose their new place? It's very niche, but the sheer fact that I can't do it grind my gears.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I hate how if I pin for example Wendys Ectho potions to the Tab, if I start a new world as Wolfgang Wendys potions are still pinned in the tabs

I know exactly what you're talking about.

Caged Moonblind Crows/Misshapen Birds don't have their normal positive sanity aura.

None of the Shipwrecked/Hamlet exclusive characters exist anymore (without mods). It makes me wonder what happened in-lore... Did the Makeshift Portal/Florid Postern just... reject them or something?

Water Balloons don't cause most mobs to become wet.

The range of the Den Decorating Set pacification being lower than the range spiders are willing to wander, AND lower than the range where it knocks decorations off.

Wurt potentially eating Kabobs in the most recent short.

The spiders of disconnecting Webbers not disappearing with him, then immediately becoming hostile again.

• Like 3

Pengulls breaking walls and fences

The building order, you need to places structures in certain order

Snurtle mounds being hostile 

Brighshade staff nullifying the ink trio in such dumb way...they are suppose to be hard mode enemies but they are optional and defeated safely with one item

Being raided by monkeys when you leave their island when you went to clean the trinkets...so you need to come back again

Fishing...i like fishing but there are very little room to stay stand still without moving. Feels unfair to lose your bait and float because something wanted to atack you,  a fire started, etc

Killing for the 4th time a BS in the same plant in less than a season...they need to infest more plants. Fille the world with them but dont make me kill the same one over and over. Also they should spawn always together, never alone, makes no sense to fight 1 BS

Needing to kill bearger while a portal is up to summon armored bearger... i never experience it but i would unistall if i a portal close few seconds before i defeat bearger

The atrium being such a waste of potential. I simply telepuff arround until i reach the atrium and many people use the void glitch to reach to it. Rework it into an interesting place with good loot instead of a claustrophobic labyrinth filled with clockworks with spears and wasted fire staffs as reward

Brightshade helmet havinf 4746272929 perks. One of them nullifying a, suppose important, mechanic as enlightement 

Enlightement having 0 impact. When you are insane you see visions, hands comes to steal fire, you heard hound like howls (before they changed insanity sounds instead of adding a setting...i miss old insanity sound). Meanwhile enlightement spawn near you a gestal that you ignore with an armor piece...

Crystal deerclops drops your sanity... this shows why fussing insanity and enlightement is weird and wont work well in future content

Moon storm only having 4 mutants, 2 of them are birds that only spawn during a minigame... now klei dropped the mutant content and started adding possesions that wont interact with it

Glass cutter being useless

CK

CK not having as drop an ocarine of time with 5 or 10 uses

Terrarium spawning bosses on top of newbies while you where wasting time for nothing

Rifts creating even more barren biomes instead of changing the world in an interesting way

Mobs scaping throw fences (how hard is to make them work properly?)

Wolfgang’s and Wilson's skill trees

Boat's fire pump being horrible 

Barnacle's weapon being weak

Sunked chest having horrible loot and being limited to 4 per map at the same time

And probably there is much more i can complain about 

Edit. How i could forget that monkey pawn's chests have storage limit...

Edited by arubaro
  • Like 4
  • Wavey 1

33 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Pengulls breaking walls and fences

The building order, you need to places structures in certain order

Snurtle mounds being hostile 

Brighshade staff nullifying the ink trio in such dumb way...they are suppose to be hard mode enemies but they are optional and defeated safely with one item

Being raided by monkeys when you leave their island when you went to clean the trinkets...so you need to come back again

Fishing...i like fishing but there are very little room to stay stand still without moving. Feels unfair to lose your bait and float because something wanted to atack you,  a fire started, etc

Killing for the 4th time a BS in the same plant in less than a season...they need to infest more plants. Fille the world with them but dont make me kill the same one over and over. Also they should spawn always together, never alone, makes no sense to fight 1 BS

Needing to kill bearger while a portal is up to summon armored bearger... i never experience it but i would unistall if i a portal close few seconds before i defeat bearger

The atrium being such a waste of potential. I simply telepuff arround until i reach the atrium and many people use the void glitch to reach to it. Rework it into an interesting place with good loot instead of a claustrophobic labyrinth filled with clockworks with spears and wasted fire staffs as reward

Brightshade helmet havinf 4746272929 perks. One of them nullifying a, suppose important, mechanic as enlightement 

Enlightement having 0 impact. When you are insane you see visions, hands comes to steal fire, you heard hound like howls (before they changed insanity sounds instead of adding a setting...i miss old insanity sound). Meanwhile enlightement spawn near you a gestal that you ignore with an armor piece...

Crystal deerclops drops your sanity... this shows why fussing insanity and enlightement is weird and wont work well in future content

Moon storm only having 4 mutants, 2 of them are birds that only spawn during a minigame... now klei dropped the mutant content and started adding possesions that wont interact with it

Glass cutter being useless

CK

CK not having as drop an ocarine of time with 5 or 10 uses

Terrarium spawning bosses on top of newbies while you where wasting time for nothing

Rifts creating even more barren biomes instead of changing the world in an interesting way

Mobs scaping throw fences (how hard is to make them work properly?)

Wolfgang’s and Wilson's skill trees

Boat's fire pump being horrible 

Barnacle's weapon being weak

Sunked chest having horrible loot and being limited to 4 per map at the same time

And probably there is much more i can complain about 

Edit. How i could forget that monkey pawn's chests have storage limit...

This!

• Like 1