Was Poison Birchtrees Added to the game by a Hacker?

I was told they just mysteriously appeared in the code one day by someone random (From the OrangE dst history video and others) . I am confused if it was a random dev, or a random hacker. 

Does this mean someone got into the sensitive files, invented and created the "poison birchtree", and then Klei went "Let's keep it" ? 

Just now, Ridley said:

Did they offer any evidence? The burden of proof is on them. I don't believe this claim.

Many trustworthy people say how the poison birchnutter basically just randomly appeared in the code.

10 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Many trustworthy people say how the poison birchnutter basically just randomly appeared in the code.

Maybe a shady developer wanted it in the game but the rest disagreed, so he went behind the curtains and added it to the game as a joke. But that's only speculation, it is a cool story tho.

16 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Which videos say this? I skipped around in "The ACTUAL History of Don't Starve" but didn't see anything on birchnut trees.

1 hour ago, Ridley said:

Which videos say this? I skipped around in "The ACTUAL History of Don't Starve" but didn't see anything on birchnut trees.

It is a random part of it. The video is like 3 hours long so idk if it is worth scavenging every second.

55 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I never knew they were inspired by the lorax.Screenshot_20240116-181304_Ecosia.jpg.2a8289929dee2f352817b3ba030847c7.jpg

It isn't saying they were inspired by The Lorax. It is saying that whoever wrote this wikipedia entry thinks it looks similar to the The Lorax trees. Wiki writers do this all the time where they wonder if something is a reference to something and add to the page as if it were fact. Could the trees be inspired by Dr. Seuss? Probably, but don't trust the wiki. 

I doubt that, but what I'm wondering is, do they actually have a substantially higher chance to spawn than normal treeguards? It seems like, whenever I'm chopping birchnut trees, I get one every ten trees at the minimum (usually more), and I almost never get normal treeguards unless I'm chopping hundreds of trees. 

Wortox is the only dst creature that snuck its way in without the creators knowing. Wortox can jump from universe to universe, and doing this they found themself in klei's code just to meme on the survivors.

46 minutes ago, DegenerateFurry said:

I doubt that, but what I'm wondering is, do they actually have a substantially higher chance to spawn than normal treeguards? It seems like, whenever I'm chopping birchnut trees, I get one every ten trees at the minimum (usually more), and I almost never get normal treeguards unless I'm chopping hundreds of trees. 

They do!

7 hours ago, Ridley said:

It isn't saying they were inspired by The Lorax. It is saying that whoever wrote this wikipedia entry thinks it looks similar to the The Lorax trees. Wiki writers do this all the time where they wonder if something is a reference to something and add to the page as if it were fact. Could the trees be inspired by Dr. Seuss? Probably, but don't trust the wiki. 

Some wikis are really bad about it, like DST and Terraria. I've seen some huge stretches along the lines of "Thulecite may be a reference to dwarven ingots from Skyrim, as they are both hard orange materials". I think stuff like that is underaged people who want to feel like they're contributing but don't know how, so they just try to relate things to other things they saw. 

9 hours ago, DegenerateFurry said:

So according to the wiki, poison birchnuts have a 33% chance of spawning when a full sized birchnut tree is cut down nearby, assuming your world is at least 70 days old.

Regular tree guards seem to always have a 1.33% chance of spawning, and only increase the amount of tree guards spawned from a single tree being cut. I'm curious if this info is completely correct, because that rate seems really low.

12 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It is a random part of it. The video is like 3 hours long so idk if it is worth scavenging every second.

3 hours of video on DST? Sounds like a great time to spend. Can you please drop a link to it

12 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I never knew they were inspired by the lorax.

LOL

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Some wikis are really bad about it, like DST and Terraria. I've seen some huge stretches along the lines of "Thulecite may be a reference to dwarven ingots from Skyrim, as they are both hard orange materials". I think stuff like that is underaged people who want to feel like they're contributing but don't know how, so they just try to relate things to other things they saw. 

If Wikipedia is lying, then what should I believe? On the Russian wiki, a person long ago changed Maxwell's quote about butterfly oil: “Some puns are irresistible.” on "I've always loved a bun with butter" (maybe it sounded a little different, I can't say for sure) and for a long time no one noticed the catch. You could say it's become a meme

Klei has been trying to remove poison birchnut trees for years, actually. But every time they try, they reappear in-game with no explanation. If you read deciduoustrees.lua, it even says this:

local function KeepInGame(inst)
    if inst:HasTag("deleted") then inst.TreeAdderBacker:AddBackToGameRightAwayPronto()

Some people believe this was caused when the CEO of Klei's secret twin brother, Poisonbirchnuttreeobrine, passed away IRL and also at the same time spontaneously became immensely leafy, purple, and grew a big eyeball and tentacles. The legend goes that his vengeful, purple spirit went on to haunt the game.

If you ever see a poison birchnut with a whited-out eyeball, your computer is haunted. You can only fix it by crafting a Telltale Heart IRL and jamming it in the CD tray.
If your computer doesn't have one of those, tough.

1 hour ago, Auth said:

You can only fix it by crafting a Telltale Heart IRL

Would be a revolutionary scientific breakthrough, one day the news would just go:

”With 3 handfuls of dried grass combined with a random spider and some pierogies, you’re able to create a perfectly functional human heart of your own; anywhere, anytime, all the time”

Unless they keep it as a dirty corporate secret, which is unlikely since it would get leaked by Don’t Starve fans all around the world the moment they hear about it 

Next thing you know, you are watching a Five Minutes Craft video of someone making their own WORKING Meat Effigy with some processed ham and beard shavings 

3 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Blood

Well one pierogi restores 40 HP doesn’t it, and what do you need to craft a heart? 40 HP. So really it is just “magically converted into a heart”

Just now, Kubicska said:

Well one pierogi restores 40 HP doesn’t it, and what do you need to craft a heart? 40 HP. So really it is just “magically converted into a heart”

OR you can abuse ageless watches to get more value out of crafting hearts if you’re playing as Wanda by using an ageless watch quickly after crafting the heart (its so broken)

Archived