How do you feel about Hermit quests and all ROT quests?

How do you feel about Hermit quests and all ROT quests? Would you like more of this content?

My opinion:

I hate quests in DST. These quests are completed only to receive the crown. Neither the hermit, nor the crab king, nor Wagstaff are rewarded properly. It is absolutely not fun or interesting to complete these quests. I don't want any more quests in this game, because they don't fit into the game. They used to be there too, but they were optional, they could be ignored, and now these quests are almost the whole point of the game

Love the Pearl quest, hate the Crab. 

Pearl quest is cool, gives something different to do, I kinda want more stuff like this in the game(boss fights are cool and all, but having some variety in content is nice, isn't it?), but Crab King kinda spoils the whole lunar quest line for me, as he's just not fun to fight, neither alone nor in multiplayer. 

If they gave me the option to simply kill Pearl and take her Pearl I would do that 100% of the time even if Klei gave me a really sad backstory animated short of her. I don't much like Wagstaffs storm events either but at least they pop up on the map and I can walk into them and do them, it's bad but not nearly as soul-crushing as Pearls quest line.

Boring and annoying. The only reason I would visit Pearl after obtaining her pearl is to get hundreds and hundreds of shell beach turf, or murder her to get a second pearl:devilish:

I suppose if you play in a world only once and then stick to the Norm of Megabasing afterwards that doing the quests ONCE was the intended design of the quests, however I tend to grow bored of my worlds by about day 300 where I’ve survived the seasons 3 times over, mapped out my game world and killed most bosses.

And having to repeat this questline every single time you start over in a Day 1 world just isn’t really too much fun.

Like Fighting CrabKing, it’s something I did Once & then have no intentions of ever doing again in subsequent playthroughs.

I find them entertaining, as they can give me a "break" from the game, but I do say that CK loot is absolute trash and should be looked again, it could at least give sunken chest treasure with the same "pool" as the minotaur one.

I love Crab King combat but I agree it needs to be tweaked so that a loooot more players can tolerate him. I don't like it being in the state of old Ancient Guardian when he had "terrible" loots and a boring fight. I see why it is being compared with CK because he seems too hard / long to fight so cheesing is a better option to keep progressing in the game.

I really don't think that the fight is hard, but that the current seafaring options (very restricted) and the positioning of this boss is way too unfortunate for players to get the time to figure it out. Understanding the only battle that is 100% boat focused, relatively late in the game and requires a very narrow set of tools to defeat it as intended is the difficult part.

And of course the loots are lame... while I enjoy redoing the boss it's absolutely not for that. Which is a shame because it means players will prefer to fight cheese CK only once per playthrough while he is ultra-buffed by the pearl instead of getting a more approachable glimpse of the fight first. Only because there's nothing worth out of it but the altar, the Strident Trident is terrible in combat while that could have been the stepping stone to deal better against pearled Crab King.

On a bonus note I want to say that I'm saddened that there is that many critical bugs with CK and too little attention put on which content could interact better against him.

Some examples being Ice Staves that can cause his claws to perma-respawn without pauses and I'm pretty sure this doomed many players first impression not understanding what's going on. The claws not taking in account the size of boats to determine their grabbing distance and that makes Grass Rafts completely useless, or the fact that bumpers have no uses at all here... and I'm aware of many other inconveniences / bugs present in the fight and yet I still try my best to avoid dealing with them because he has other qualities no other bosses have.

Finally it's quite sad that Klei kinda gives us a very extended silence treatment about stuff like Crab King painful battle or the spawn method of Brightshades, players have to deal with things they don't like and they can't seem to see the end of it, it's not reassuring in the slightest regardless if we like them or not for potential changes. We don't need a fix in 3 years but sorta now, even if it takes multiple attempts we're here to provide feedback.

Is fun and interesting to help an npc to survive by planting bushes or fixing her bee production. I wish klei had go deeper in that route but still i like her as quest and as npc trader

I consider them the worst content in the game.

Pearl is an ok concept, but ruining fish stacking just so she has the capacity to reject them was an awful idea on multiple levels; and that's not even addressing ocean fishing itself.

Peal not accepting clothing until particular weather, while also being isolated on a distant island was also poor design.

And her loot exchange tab is lacking.

I can see a similar concept succeeding if it were mainland based and focused on something intuitive like footprint tracking, but if tied to something like ocean fishing which both punishes failure AND gives poor feedback, it see it failing again.

Tedious. Queen Malfalfa in hamlet was perhaps the best fetch quester given the tasks needed to unlock her goods. 

- Defeat the Queen of the Ants, Queen womanant to win back the crown

- Get captured by a giant bird that would kill you in a single stomp and escaping with the scepter

- Obtaining artefacts in a deadly tomb rigged with treacherous traps

And the rewards of completing all this were significant and very gratifying. 

You can't top that level of adventure and once again, Hamlet RUINS me for every subsequent task you need to complete in dst. DST is mostly superior to single player because of general optimizations, QOL, bugfixes and attention to spriting being made into HD. Not to mention skins. Otherwise, you would best believe I'd still be playing hamlet religiously.

Constantly moving forwards, trying to do away with what klei did so right in the past, just for the sake of being inventive perhaps isn't the greatest way.

Reject modernity, Embrace tradition.

Even farming which is so beloved came from a home run in the Gorge. 

I think that klei shouldn't be afraid of "Lazy development" if it means the quality of the game goes up. To hell with the stigma. What worked before can be implemented tastefully.

Hamlet quests were amazing and there were stakes as well, one stake being delaying or ending the literal end of days in hamlet. 

Add HAMLET

I love pearl! :blue: I always try to make a little boat town off the coast from her. I can definitely see the tedium though. That kind of interaction was things I loved about Hamlet. Although it doesn't even compare really lol.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I like Pearl's quests. It feels like a chore list and gives a different approach than boss rushing. YES, it can be tedious, but I like that it forces engagement with other content (like fishing and using the winch).

I think the "forced engagement" part is where some players get a bad taste, which is totally justified. I think her rewards shouldn't have anything to do with Celestial Champion and should be optional, but enticing. (imagine if she taught you how to design a personal boat from a large shell similar to Shipwrecked boats... a man can dream)

Archived