Please revert the boat buff speed nerf from waterlogged's beta to live branch transition.

12 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Because that would make sails and whoever designed them look stupid.

seriously though whoever thinks sails are well designed and balanced as they are is a fool, they are so anti-fun.

12 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Make sails better.

They are expensive but so slow and risky.

Slow and risky? They're risky because they're so fast after all the speed buffs they've gotten. 

3 hours ago, Antynomity said:

seriously though whoever thinks sails are well designed and balanced as they are is a fool, they are so anti-fun.

Well, glad you are a genius to enlight us with your mature and not biased at all posts

I remember that the oars received buffs and, since then, I haven't seen many players using sails and steering wheels. Speaking for myself, at most I have used an anchor in the malbatross fight and oars, even more so now that we can teleport the boat across the ocean.

Btw, seafaring structures are still viable for maritime roleplay

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Slow and risky? They're risky because they're so fast after all the speed buffs they've gotten. 

They are risky because of slow turning radius. 

They should have a price reduction and then they would be alright.

If they reduce the number or random sea stacks you would be able to go full speed on your boat without the fear of crashing into something or constantly micro managing your sails.

2 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Use anchors!!! The turn speed of masts scales with the velocity of your boat (faster = slower turn speed).

Of course that will slow you down but it's only really for a few seconds just to make a quick turn and you're good to go!

Sails and oars aren't exclusive either, you can always use the latter to help with controlling the former in minute adjustments.

I think oars are crazy good already, I really do not think there needs to be another buff haha.

2 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Skill issue

Few silk and basic materials isnt expensive 

Just now, arubaro said:

Skill issue

Few silk and basic materials isnt expensive 

using oars requires you to get one log once to keep getting driftwood logs for free and allows you to place a new boat anywhere without having to rebuild stuff, so e.g. if CK is separated from lunar by the mainland, you can go through mainland and place a new boat instead of going around the mainland or having to rebuild everything on a new boat, so it's simply not worth it, at least if you don't do optional sea stuff 

6 minutes ago, grm9 said:

using oars requires you to get one log once to keep getting driftwood logs for free and allows you to place a new boat anywhere without having to rebuild stuff, so e.g. if CK is separated from lunar by the mainland, you can go through mainland and place a new boat instead of going around the mainland or having to rebuild everything on a new boat, so it's simply not worth it, at least if you don't do optional sea stuff 

If you expend few minutes in the sea to do few pieces of content then the sail should be free to be worth for that kind of players...

5 hours ago, arubaro said:

Well, glad you are a genius to enlight us with your mature and not biased at all posts

okay little strawman with strawman arguments that loves to give constructive feedback on one's post, your feedback will definitely help me be less biased with MY OWN game experience.

1 hour ago, finn from human said:

driftwood oars are already insanely good and let you find most ocean landmarks in just days of exploration! i'd rather not go back to the initial buff that let you outline the whole map in a day

at least it made the ocean good at something for once

I think that the worst thing with boating was having to make another boat because you there was no way to cross the main land with it. So if you had a maxed out boat, it would be useless if your pearl island and lunar island where on different sides of the ocean.

Now with Sharkboi, I have almost no complaints.

11 hours ago, _zwb said:

Because that would make sails and whoever designed them look stupid.

ok, can i make a ******* rant? sails are stupid as ****, you can't see too feet in front of you in the ocean with normal view, with aerial view you can actually use 1 sail but if you plan on using 2 sails you'd better just explode your boat because doing SEA EXPLORATION WITH A SAIL IS AKIN TO SUICIDE, like sails are used for EXPLORING the sea but if you get 1 sail and 1 turning wheel the chances you are just going to bump into one of those RANDOM ROCK FORMATIONS is SO HIGH you have to use the anchor so constantly as to not destroy your boat its infuriating, you wanna know why the people that sailed over the world centuries ago used boats that were big and high latency to manage? because they could se thousands of kilometers into the distance, i CANT DO THAT IN DST AND THEY STILL WANT ME TO USE A SAIL AND HAVE FUN DRIVING IN THE OCEAN EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE SAME RENDERING DISTANCE AS AN UNDERGROUND MOLEWORM. USING A SAIL IN DST IS TRASH, T.R.A.S.H, I JUST WANT A BOAT THAT RESPONDS TO MY COMMANDS, i want to feel like im driving a boat or a raft like shipwrecked, NOT DRIVING A ******* SHIP.

Honestly I feel like the overall resource cost to build a boat could be significantly lowered.. as it stands right NOW your better off just building a Grass Raft and using a Driftwood Oar for most of your boating needs, (you can even use grass rafts for Salt Formations, Pinching Winch Activities etc..)

But to build an actual boat boat the way the game intended you to do is just too deep of a resource sink, too many planks, ropes & silk required..

And I can say this because Klei once thought having it require 12 pieces of Marble to craft 1 Marble Armor was a Good Idea, but later they reduced those crafting costs to only need 6, so you now get 2 Armors for the price of one.

If the amount of planks and silk required for boats and masts was lowered to like say 2 planks & 4 silk boats would feel like significantly less off a resource sink than they are right now..

Part of what gave the Shipwrecked DLC its Charm was being able to craft a large variety of different types of boats out of a large variety of different types of game resources.

In DST we just don’t have that.. and your better off just using a Grass Raft for most boating purposes.

Take it from someone who successfully killed Pearl socketed Crab King with just two Grass Rafts.

I understand what Klei TRIED to do with boats and boating in general, but it just isn’t “Fun”

Boat patches are absolute pure hell to actually apply to a boat leak using an Xbox controller, it’s actually easier to just keep applying more wood/grass to the raft to prevent its sinking than it is to deal with Patches, Period.

As someone who absolutely LOVED the Shipwrecked DLC, I find it hard to find that same kind of Joy in DSTs Boating/Ocean experiences.

I think the game should reduce boat nertia and increase max speed.

The game should introduce Cars, which is a boat on a land, as an alternative to beefalos for carrying stuff around.

Its kinda funny seeing both arguments (if you can even call some of them that) for how sails are either too fast or too slow.

Now im not a normal DST player, all I ****ing do in every world I play is SAIL.
I build myself my little boat base in autumn and I sail the world, rarely ever touching land.

And its very clear to me that people here never seem to sail Twice.
Because I see a few people saying how "risky" it is to sail with sails. How at any point there can just be a rock or even land you didn't know about that you will just suddenly crash into. And yeah, I can agree with that part.
But those issues are only ever with the first trip to any given location. Because as you sail, you map out the world, you uncover rocks, you outline the land, and so on.
You LEARN your world, you LEARN where it is safe, where there are no hazards. Where you can go full speed in a straight line and KNOW that nothing will be in the way.

Whenever I first start sailing in a world, I always do so with two sails. Since two sails gives enough speed that i can still smoothly go around land curves, and my first trip is usually to map out the edges of the land
But while doing that, I can also see where the rocks are, where the clear parts are, and where to avoid. So that on my second time through, I can go with 3 sails or even a malba sail, because I KNOW that its safe to do so, and I dont have to worry about running into rocks.

Now I know. Not everyone wants to sail, they just want to get their s*** from the ocean and never touch it again. And that's who the grass raft and oars are for. A temporary boat that's self propelled. 

But I know I am not the only one that ENJOYS sailing. It is literally the most fun aspect of the game for me. To sail along the ocean looking for treasure and for fish with your crew on your amazing ship. Its a BLAST every time I do it.
And I don't want to see boats getting changed in a way that takes that away from me. 

5 hours ago, MrsBoris said:

ok, can i make a ******* rant? sails are stupid as ****, you can't see too feet in front of you in the ocean with normal view, with aerial view you can actually use 1 sail but if you plan on using 2 sails you'd better just explode your boat because doing SEA EXPLORATION WITH A SAIL IS AKIN TO SUICIDE, like sails are used for EXPLORING the sea but if you get 1 sail and 1 turning wheel the chances you are just going to bump into one of those RANDOM ROCK FORMATIONS is SO HIGH you have to use the anchor so constantly as to not destroy your boat its infuriating, you wanna know why the people that sailed over the world centuries ago used boats that were big and high latency to manage? because they could se thousands of kilometers into the distance, i CANT DO THAT IN DST AND THEY STILL WANT ME TO USE A SAIL AND HAVE FUN DRIVING IN THE OCEAN EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE SAME RENDERING DISTANCE AS AN UNDERGROUND MOLEWORM. USING A SAIL IN DST IS TRASH, T.R.A.S.H, I JUST WANT A BOAT THAT RESPONDS TO MY COMMANDS, i want to feel like im driving a boat or a raft like shipwrecked, NOT DRIVING A ******* SHIP.

This is overly dramatic, lmao.

I have always used two sails and never had an issue, it's definitely not "AKIN TO SUICIDE". lmfao. (Sounds like a skill issue on your part.) 

1 hour ago, DarkPulse91 said:

And its very clear to me that people here never seem to sail Twice.

Why would you though? There's no reason to actually return to the ocean once you do pearl and crab king, and sailing to the lunar island is completely shallow water.

I agree with you that sails are better once you map out the ocean, but in the current state of ocean content no one is going back out to sea. So either one or the other needs to change imo.

Or just give me a boat mounted gun that shoots all seastacks in my way. That works too.

Archived