Would you be fine with sacrificing a content update for a performance/optimization one?

Do you think Klei should release a performance/optimization update instead of one content update next year?   

98 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• One content update would be replaced with a performance/optimization update
    • No performance/optimization update

What do you think about Klei making a performance/optimization update (e.g. reducing lag from chests, integrating Don't Starve Alone mod for when you're playing in a solo world, possibly even moving all things onto one shard so there's no loading screen when going to caves and it'll be possible to put ruins into the third layer like how they were in DS etc.), but one less content update so they have enough time?

Edited by grm9

Your descriptions are bare. I feel like if you ask "Would you rather they make the game better over adding stuff" you're going to be getting some skewed answers.

However, I would favor any sort of enhancement over character or combat changes currently. Older biomes and maybe some mechanics could certainly be revisited.

• Like 9

On 12/29/2023 at 1:56 PM, -Variant said:

Your descriptions are bare

Optimization in this case means reducing lag and fps loss, could also say a performance update instead of an optimization update

On 12/29/2023 at 1:56 PM, -Variant said:

Older biomes and maybe some mechanics could certainly be revisited

the poll isn't about this because i'm almost certain that practically everyone want this at least among the forum users 

Edited by grm9
  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

I wonder if something can be done with reducing lags on large amount of entities present on screen like spiders/pigs/bunnymen/hound.

Generally as long as your pc isn't a fossilized potato and have a high amount of ram (dst is a ram hogger, I upgraded my pc from 8 to 16gb and the difference is night and day), the game should run butter smooth, but I wouldn't mind an optimization update, though.

Edited by Spino43

While there would probably be some qol snuck in there, whatever that be intentional or unintentional by messing with the code that deeply, I think a 90% dedicated effort to optimize some of the old code would be a worthwhile effort for a game this is over 10 years old.

If it's just one then yeah I can kind of see it. I don't really understand though, maybe it's because I play solo or on a private server with friends but other than like a bazillion things on screen what performance? My sister plays on a gt610 with 4 gb of ddr3 ram and an old amd dual core processor just fine. I would imagine modern computers/average hardware wouldn't have to justify an entire update for it? Not to sound silly. Or for me I have not see any much of it. At least to dedicate to it. But I'm always happy for performance increases and I have plenty of content still so. Yes?

• Potato Cup 1

12 minutes ago, GimplyGoose said:

It is not realistic to expect that any meaningful optimization could be completed by removing a content update from the schedule

surely it could be, since they could at least add Don't Starve Alone mod into the game and fix most of the bugs 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grm9 said:

surely it could be, since they could at least add Don't Starve Alone mod into the game and fix most of the bugs 

The don't starve alone mod definitely improves latency, but it also introduces major issues into the game. It would not be a trivial task to make an official version of that mod.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GimplyGoose said:

The don't starve alone mod definitely improves latency, but it also introduces major issues into the game. It would not be a trivial task to make an official version of that mod

we don't know since we haven't tried, although it'd probably be easy to fix by queueing RPCs for the disabled world and only going through them once the player goes into that world                        

I'm not saying it is not possible to improve the performance of the game. I'm also not saying that Klei should not work to optimize the game. The point I am trying to make is that I think it is naive to expect a single content update could be traded out for an optimization update.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 7:35 PM, BezKa said:

Give us some rot eating mob that wanders around and eats garbage :)

Dung beetles.

16 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

My system performs just fine while simultaneously hosting 3 shards. A year of just performance updates would be a year that I would probably shelf the game.

"Your" system. Also they said one update not a years worth. Dst is a really badly optimised game, it takes up so much ram it is absurd. 

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

9 hours ago, . . . said:

I would hope the ocean canopy biome gets optimized that place makes me lose 20 solid fps when bloom is on because the godrays are so unoptimized

The same for Hamlet jungle, though Klei probably isn't going to revisit single player version.

• Like 3

That would make me want to play the game more, despite not being able to cancel attacks in solo DS it feels so much better to play because your inputs aren't either delayed or your view of the game's world isn't a few miliseconds in front of server time, ON YOUR OWN SERVER.

• Like 2

We have a multiplayer world with the host having a really good device and the world just constantly lags if anyone walks to base, the game is on some desperate need of optimization, even if you're not going late game for whatever reason, you can still stumble upon the rocky spider biome which has about the same impact on servers.

• Like 1