Bad wormholes and what should be done about them. My solution, an item that changes their location

Lately, and especially in the beta, wormhole generation has been some of the worst I've seen. I don't want to hear anyone defend short wormholes that teleport you to the same biome and their niches, they are objectively worse. This will not be an argument.

I don't think bad wormholes should remain in the world. It actually cripples gameplay and quite frankly, I've found it to be a detriment to keeping people on servers or worlds as some may keep regenerating a given world to get the wormholes they want.

All this being said, I don't think world generation should solve problem wormholes. If it means interfering with future development, then making the world gen method more convoluted just to account for better wormholes is counter productive.

It would probably be less of a burden to development to introduce an item to influence wormhole linking or changing where the 'mouths' are. 

I'd settle for them being telelocatable. 

• Like 12

I used to regen world until I got wormholes that I liked before Wanda was released. That is the main reason I only play Wanda now, long term worlds are crippled by bad wormholes and mapgen but as Wanda you can play any world without caring and game is so much more enjoyable because I care about my world being as perfect as possible if I am going to put in multiple thousands of (game) days into it.

I don't know why there isn't a good alternative to teleportation. My thoughts are that lazy deserter should be usable solo and to be able to select any other lazy deserted on the map to teleport to, make them much more expensive to compensate.

Also why aren't we able to move wormhole  that would be very good for long term worlds.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 9

How's this then? A new boss, maybe it could take notes from Hamlet's Pugalisk. We can throw items down wormholes and they'll come out the other end, same as anything else. What if there's something wormholes hate. A lot. Like, Antlion and warm/hot/cold thermal stones? Give a wormhole this item and it starts a boss fight, destroying the wormhole and the one it's connected to in appearing. Win, and you get two giant worm eggs, and 50% chance of a third. Hatch the egg, care for the larva. It can wander, and tunnel under things, so getting an exact desired location is not likely. Fail and it dies, you could potentially wipe out wormholes with enough failure. Succeed, and it grows into a pupa embedded in the ground, and stays that way until you successfully care for a second giant worm larva. When there are two giant worm pupae in the world, they connect into a new paired wormhole.

Edited by ShadowbirdRH
  • Like 6

hmm if we can move wormhole, i think it more make sense if we feed the wormhole and they move away to random location. 
i think wormhole is basically a long worm that eat and poop us out from other side, lol 
making them eat an item that make them feel irritate and move to another location seems like a fun way to do it. since the result is randomize too the item itself might not need to be locked to certain bosses  :wilson_curious:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

hmm if we can move wormhole, i think it more make sense if we feed the wormhole and they move away to random location. 
i think wormhole is basically a long worm that eat and poop us out from other side, lol 
making them eat an item that make them feel irritate and move to another location seems like a fun way to do it. since the result is randomize too the item itself might not need to be locked to certain bosses  :wilson_curious:

if they'll add that you'll probably need to feed it three spark arks, judging by how that seems to be most important for late game and they still didn't add that yet they added x20 spoilage time portable fridge and a thing that produces winter around itself without needing fuel      

Edited by grm9

5 minutes ago, grm9 said:

if they'll add that you'll probably need to feed it three spark arks 

lol, not all new thing need to be locked after rift.
maybe just use ocean debris mixed with stinger and some gloomer goop as glue then feed it to make the worm move. 
and it would result two end to move to random side of the world too.
it would take u a while till u find good wormhole location as its a rng that matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _zwb said:

Just make it that 2 wormholes must be a certain distance away to be linked, otherwise discard the world and generate another:)

or just relink them all regen isnt necesarry

this would always work because its basically impossible for all 8 wormholes to be close enough to cause an infinite relinking loop 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HellHeater said:

or just relink them all regen isnt necesarry

this would always work because its basically impossible for all 8 wormholes to be close enough to cause an infinite relinking loop 

Yes that would work too, the point is we don't need items moving wormholes, just link them properly in world generation

13 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I have made several suggestions for wormhole relocation in the past. Including a worm food item that moves one mouth at a time.

Alas, I don't think Klei has plans for it 

Then we do the only thing we can do; Insist,

• GL Happy 1

I think @00petar00 has the right idea here, where instead of moving the wormholes themselves, teleporting functionality should be put on the shoulders of an already existing item or structure instead.

I'd say the Telelocator focus and staff are the best or atleast most obvious option here. And @O_Atoba_Azul has done God's work by reworking them in Uncompromising Mode for just this purpose. The Purple Gems are part of the inital crafting instead of being consumed by the focus. And the staff lets you choose which focus you want to warp too + Is able to warp heavy objects such as statues or suspicious marble. It's an extremely intuitive buff that makes an otherwise niche item into a lategame staple, and also solves the problem that OP was talking about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

On relinking wormholes, the Bootleg Getaway could double for that function. Feeding it to wormhole A1 will close(?) it and A2 until B1 is fed, linking A1 to B1 and A2 to B2 or whatever logic makes sense.

This could be in addition to having a way to move them, which could be more complicated if that's deemed too strong to have early access to.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, Theukon-dos said:

I'd say the Telelocator focus and staff are the best or atleast most obvious option here. And @O_Atoba_Azul has done God's work by reworking them in Uncompromising Mode for just this purpose. The Purple Gems are part of the inital crafting instead of being consumed by the focus. And the staff lets you choose which focus you want to warp too + Is able to warp heavy objects such as statues or suspicious marble. It's an extremely intuitive buff that makes an otherwise niche item into a lategame staple, and also solves the problem that OP was talking about.

Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking, the telelocator focus should be like actually good and do its job, doing it that way would allow people to teleport to points of interest faster from anywhere where there is a focus, like terraria pylons I suppose, lazy deserters would still be able to bring people over from anywhere in the world with little cost so long someone is near, one teleports with a focus and then brings everyone over with a deserter.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

On 12/9/2023 at 5:34 PM, chirsg said:

I don't want to hear anyone defend short wormholes that teleport you to the same biome and their niches, they are objectively worse. This will not be an argument.

Well if you think about it, you save yourself a whopping 2 seconds at the cost of 15 seconds as opposed to 2 minutes for 15 sanity. Those are equivalent right? Right?

5 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Well if you think about it, you save yourself a whopping 2 seconds at the cost of 15 seconds as opposed to 2 minutes for 15 sanity. Those are equivalent right? Right?

No, they're not. One is better than the other. I'd rather save 2 minutes to half a day.

2 hours ago, chirsg said:

No, they're not. One is better than the other. I'd rather save 2 minutes to half a day.

It was a sarcastic joke. I know they are not comparable, I would love for a way to fix them but idk how to do so in code.

12 hours ago, arubaro said:

telelocator focus is a bad idea. Is cheap and can be placed on islands allowing players to move wormholes from not visited biomes to moonquay and moon island making sailing useless

Sailing is already useless

• GL Happy 1