The current lunar rift bosses.

Do you enjoy the new bosses?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy the new bosses?

• Yes I love fighting them.
    • Yes but I mainly just want the loot and don't care to figh them otherwise.
    • No I just want their loot.
    • No I just don't like them.
    • I don't like them but I don't hate them either.
    • Undecided.
    • I only like some of them.
    • I only like their designs.

Lunar Varg is the big winner in terms of designs. It got a whole makeover, and I personally think it would look way more menacing if it's eyes were small white dots (you can see this during it's waking up from being stunned animation). Deerclops is neat, the ice going through the eye is the main highlight. Bearger is really boring on the other hand. 

Loot leaves much to be desired, dropping an item that would then be used in the recipe for their respective drop would cool, but the actual new crafts are great, the Crystalleyzer is kinda lame though. Imo it should completely disable wildfires across the whole map while still keeping the winter simulation in the flingo radius. It's simply way too expensive to server as an actual counter to wildfires.

As for the actual fights, Bearger looks ridiculously easy, Deerclops I don't have enough experience to comment on (but it seems like you just hit it with fire and wail on it for a few seconds), and Varg seems mildly challenging due to enemy spam.

I’m on consoles and can only comment on the clips I’ve seen of Pc players enjoying the content, the fire breathing Varg looks sickkkk like I love it’s entire design, I love how it has a new attack it’s just awesome.

the new Deerclops looks kinda cool too but it looks even weaker than regular Deerclops.. being able to just be set on fire then beat to death rinse repeat, I kinda want it to throw up ice walls like yamir from Smite, to atleast deflect “some” of your fire staff attempts on its eye.

I have no comment on the new Bearger other than it’s lunar design looks lame and hurried compared to iceclops & lunar Varg, and that the Nerf (to both lunar & regular) as well as bug fixes (for yawning when it shouldn’t be yawning) will make it a much easier fight.

The Lunar Toads look pretty cool.. but I really wish they spawned from ponds that have been infested by Gashalts in addition to falling in frog rain, I also wished that like the Varg, they got a new type of unique attack.

Lastly the 90% food spoil preventage fridge will make really long boating trips less cumbersome so that is quite lovely, and then there’s the Crystalleyezer, people are claiming it’s not very effective, however if it gives my boats an actual wildfire prevention protection that’s going to instantly make it a must have on a boat for me.

I also really really REALLY wish when Klei added things like this that they’d later add new areas of the game to interact with this content, for example.. imagine an extremely hot magmatic biome, that you can cool down by placing these “Crystalleyzers” throughout to make the habitat bareable to walk within & explore.

Varg battle could have some tweaks as too much live&dead hounds can easily overwhelm the players with melee weapons. When many minions are present, it's hard to run to the back of the Varg and land a strike to stun it.

It is advised to just tank the Varg with some pigmen or your friends. Note that the more players are in battle, the more minions Varg will summon.

And it seems to me like the death anim is still unimplemented. I'll be expecting their wonderful anim of falling.

New fights present a fresh mechanic to dst fighting - finding a right moment to weaken bosses so you can actually deal some damage to them. Because otherwise they seem to be unbeatable. 

Deerclops for example casts frost aoe around her, so you can't approach the boss as usual. Beager fight requires you to kite back-and-forth around him two times to have an opening. And varg is just overwhelms you with 10k hounds and has a very little and hardly approachable window to weaken it, plz fix.

So yeah these fights are more enjoyable due to this new thing

53 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Bearger looks ridiculously easy

He's not, trust me.

If you're stuck on a edge, he will not stop slapping you until you die, also, his only weakness is attacking him after his ground pound, and you need to avoid it in a fast timing, if you don't want to get stunlocked by his ASS or if you don't want to take damage.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

and then there’s the Crystalleyezer, people are claiming it’s not very effective, however if it gives my boats an actual wildfire prevention protection that’s going to instantly make it a must have on a boat for me.

Unfortunately it isn't able to be placed on boats. Even if it was, it instantly changes the temperature of anything roughly the radius of a boat to -2 degrees, so you would be constantly taking damage anyways.

Not to say that I think it is underpowered or anything. It has several attributes that give it value, like helping farm plots retain moisture for longer, or bringing most creatures within the insta-freeze radius one ice staff hit away from being completely frozen, including Bright Shades.

Probably KLei should go with Lunar variants for all surface bosses? With new, special and complex attack patterns plus new loot. Also lunar variants for killed mobs? Would be interesting and entertaining I reckon.

Current boss-trio is nice accounting progression and hard-mode, though "Alter's Zombie" Bear may be visually changed a bit in DC's direction aka more menacing aspect overall - eyes perhaps hollow with the "white fire" Gestalt in it (examples in spoiler below), like DC when ice from its eye socket is melted; "Zombie" DC have its weakness to fire a bit mitigated to not invalidate its fight completely (cool-down, partial immunity after ~3 fire attacks, etc); and "Zombie" Varg's spamming Dogs error corrected (if indeed an error).

Spoiler

zombie-bear_v1.png.f882961be40238d787688a6d4c76a0e2.pngzombie-bear_v2.png.1279a66a8fae4d999d160fc20003698a.png

i absolutely love the new bosses. I think it's a great direction for making bosses, less kiting and tanking and more movement and unique mechanics.

At first i loathed the armored bearger, i thought he was too tough and hit too hard and had a really small window for getting staggered, but after fighting him a few more times and learning his attack patterns, the fight is actually really fun! dodhing the claws and going behind him to trigger the butt attack and staggering him after is a simple cycle but it is enjoyable, even if it takes a bit to learn how to not get hit xd (the spam claw attack is still kinda bs tho)

the deerclops one is great too!! glad to see fire weapons being actually useful, but i think the fight may be too easy the way it is now, maybe adding him another attack besider throwing the icicles would help

the varg one i feel is the most problematic one, but not too terrible. Not having any followers or a brightshade staff basically means death, because the speed at which reanimated varg summons hounds is a bit... too quick. ofc pigs merms or spiders aren't that expensive but it's still kind of a hassle, otherwise the fight is oki, varg's low hp really helps

i'm playing solo so maybe my critiques aren't that valueable lol maybe with one or two more survivors the varg fights gets really easy, but that's not for me to know hehe

2 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

Probably KLei should go with Lunar variants for all surface bosses? With new, special and complex attack patterns plus new loot. Also lunar variants for killed mobs? Would be interesting and entertaining I reckon.

Current boss-trio is nice accounting progression and hard-mode, though "Alter's Zombie" Bear may be visually changed a bit in DC's direction aka more menacing aspect overall - eyes perhaps hollow with the "white fire" Gestalt in it (examples in spoiler below), like DC when ice from its eye socket is melted; "Zombie" DC have its weakness to fire a bit mitigated to not invalidate its fight completely (cool-down, partial immunity after ~3 fire attacks, etc); and "Zombie" Varg's spamming Dogs error corrected (if indeed an error).

Hide contents

zombie-bear_v1.png.f882961be40238d787688a6d4c76a0e2.pngzombie-bear_v2.png.1279a66a8fae4d999d160fc20003698a.png

Eye brows

I enjoy the new loot, I feel like its quite creative and I'm glad all of it actually holds valuable uses in gameplay, instead of being very niche and very useless such as a lot of the loot coming from Return of Them.

The new bosses don't impress me too much, Undead Deerclops and Bearger feel very unfightable unless you know the one specific tactic to stun them for long periods of time, to which then they're considerably easy. The Possessed Varg is the opposite for even if you know its tricks, its still a grueling fight. I do think the Varg's fight is interesting but it just being another "essentially" boss fight having heavy minion spam feels annoying.

I don't really like the designs of the three new lunar bosses, for I believe they look uninteresting or feel really out of place. When I look at the previous non-plant lunar mobs they have a whimsical disturbing look to them, but not to make them unappealing but give them character. Undead Deerclops and Bearger's designs feel sort of bland to me, as they just look like the same mob but are now slightly blue/purple and now have crystals coming out of them. They don't have anything giving them the distinguished lunar-like undead look which would make them look more monstrous and scary. The Varg is the opposite for me for it looks too fantastical and less like a monstrous lunar entity. This is especially apparent when comparing the horror hounds and Possessed Varg whereas the horror hounds look very scary and cool, the Varg looks more like a gestalt which feels odd to me.

I had hoped my assumption that lunar mobs have no general theme wasn't true, but when looking at the character skins for the lunar side and these three new mobs which are revived in the same way but contrast unnecessarily, I feel like this is more true. The reason why this sticks out to me is when comparing the design of the shadow side, it is very apparent that the shadows all have similar designs which makes them extremely identifiable and realize what message the designs are trying to achieve.

27 minutes ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

the deerclops one is great too!! glad to see fire weapons being actually useful, but i think the fight may be too easy the way it is now, maybe adding him another attack besider throwing the icicles would help

Yea a good idea would be to give him more attacks and make the icicle attack abit more rare.

29 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hope they rework the bad bosses before giving then lunar varients (Probably bee queen and maybe crab king though tbh crab might just need claw nerfs)

They reworked normal bearger's attack as mentioned before in these forums which is cool.

3 hours ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

Hide contents

Since Deerclops' eye is a drop and Crystal Deerclops has a huge icicle in place of it, Armored Bearger should have his fur be replaced by sheets of crystals due to him losing it after killing him, and him being called Armored Bearger and currently not having much armor at all.

Yea, I think crystal deerclops is the gold standard in terms of new lunar boss visual design. I don't think they need to go overboard with redesigning bosses either, the specific look of the carcasses of these familiar bosses being possessed and puppeteered by the lunar spirits is haunting and so, so good.

Bearger boo boo. Her design looks too much like a phase 2 fight, even if this is what this basically is. She's not dead enough!

Crystal deerclops is too easy for a post celestial champion fight, the hit range of its attack is even marked for you, anyone who knows about the controls and how fire staff works can kill it. Could use some buff.

Armoured bearger is rather tricky to kite because of its new attack, the vulnerable time after the special attack is so short that I can't stun it most of the time, or maybe it's just my skill issue?

No idea about the varg, haven't fought it since that bug with spawning hounds was fixed.

Love it all, except Varg because I'm not big on fighting large groups of enemies but that's fine. 

New challenges, new looks, and most importantly appropriate loot to compensate for the new challenge was something I've been asking for a long time. I think good loot is just as important as the boss itself, I should want a reason to covet its drops and the items are pretty awesome. a portable fridge that saves me from the tedium of unwrapping bundles? Excellent, a AOE cooling station? Nice.  

I wish the Howitzer was a melee weapon though since I don't think Range combat should be an accessible form of combat but that ship has already sailed unfortunately.

The only thing that could make this better is if the bosses had their own unique themes.

14 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

They should drop resources. More than just 2 pure brilliance and some rot.

They contribute to one of three really good items of your choice already, what else should they drop?

Archived