Isn't it weird that we have to kill the boss of "my side" to pick side?

This. Probably got brought up before.

Wilson have to kill Fuelweaver or lunar champion to pick corresponding side and use the loot to craft their gear, isn't it a bit weird that you have to harm the side you are picking?

or does "picking side" means more of a "harness one side power" than literally siding for shadow/lunar

Well so far, the shadow side is siding with Charlie, who wanted Fuelweaver dead, as seen in his death animation where she deals the killing blow.

The lunar side, despite the name, actually means siding with Wagstaff, who wanted the Celestial Champion dead so he could take its power

2 minutes ago, Paxtonnnn said:

Well so far, the shadow side is siding with Charlie, who wanted Fuelweaver dead, as seen in his death animation where she deals the killing blow.

The lunar side, despite the name, actually means siding with Wagstaff, who wanted the Celestial Champion dead so he could take its power

This, but I just hope that bone helm/armor and enlightenment crown will not be locked behind the choice, because both of them are awesome endgame items.

Like now, if you choose a perk for Wilson, you can still kill both bosses and use their items.

1 hour ago, Lyserus said:

Wilson have to kill Fuelweaver or lunar champion to pick corresponding side and use the loot to craft their gear, isn't it a bit weird that you have to harm the side you are picking?

or does "picking side" means more of a "harness one side power" than literally siding for shadow/lunar

You aren't picking a side between FW or the Celestial Champion, you're picking a side between Charlie and Wagstaff, who are using the remains of the two bosses for their own purposes. 

I definitely understand killing the Fuelweaver. Dude is trying to prevent peeps from touching the gateway, and Charlie has personal beef with it so it checks out.

Celestial Champion is kinda just... for the sake of appeasing the mad lad Wagstaff's curiosity/ambition.

59 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

You aren't picking a side between FW or the Celestial Champion, you're picking a side between Charlie and Wagstaff, who are using the remains of the two bosses for their own purposes. 

It's this! You can even see this in Wilsons affinity page notes!

32 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Celestial Champion is kinda just... for the sake of appeasing the mad lad Wagstaff's curiosity/ambition.

Celestial Champion is Alter's Guardian, aka a giant immune system!
The way I see it, it's more a self defense matter than just summing a God's guard to off it.
That and I think he knew the guard would come, and wanted its energy.

It only spawns once Alter is endangered, which seems to be the case with Wagstaff using a siphon on the unstable energy.
It's likely the energy itself is the missing tendril noted when Charlie takes a peak at Alter inside of its shell, and that placing Wagstaff's device directly under it and siphoning it is enough to provoke Alter to send down its guardian. At least, that's how I'm choosing to view it.
AltermissingLink.thumb.png.0d13f7ff070a298097f6b6106444eaf2.png

It also makes a perfectly aligned parallel, with the CC preventing Wagstaff's progression just as FW prevented the survivors. -teehee

17 hours ago, Duck986 said:

This, but I just hope that bone helm/armor and enlightenment crown will not be locked behind the choice, because both of them are awesome endgame items.

That would be far too drastic a change to existing worlds imo, I doubt they’d ever do that

20 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I believe that the deeper reason is... Killing the Celestial Champion allows Wagstaff to build his own portal with mysterious energy , and killing FuelWeaver allows Charlie to repair and use the Gateway. These two portals frayed the fibers to create the lunar and shadow Rift we seen (and soon later) now, just as the FuelWeaver said they would.

LUNARRIFT_PORTAL = "Sloppy! Just look at those rough edges!", ——Wanda's line

LUNARRIFT_PORTAL = "It's all falling apart at the seams!",——Wortox's line

Archived