I have made the mistake of using berry bushes as decor for my megabase. What can I do?

This is my current megabase that I've spent a few months building.

I have made a huge sin and used berry bushes as decor.

What else can I use since these berry bushes are no longer a feasible decorative item? 

I would prefer another thing I can use that's of a similar height as the berry bushes (trees felt too tall), so I welcome any feedback on what I can replace these bushes with. Thanks

There are two ways to keep your Berry Bushes from turning into Brightshades.

Although I wish Klei could fix these. Abuse them is also a terrible thing in itself. But, ha, you know, as long as they don't fix it that means they're actually encouraging us to do it. lol

4 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Can they take over uprooted giant crops or their rotten versions?

I would think they do since they are farm plants, but I'm not sure.

They can't.

ButterStuffed probably means use them instead of berry bushes as decor.

It really worries me knowing the mechanics how bad the plants are for decor in megabases now. The fact that spacing them out is the “optimal” way to attract brightshades is particularly worrying to me.

My friend has been messing around with a server in the beta, and in particular one of the bases that’s hit by brightshades the most by a considerable amount is a friend that, indeed, uses berry bushes among other plants as Decor. It worries me a lot how much this is going to cause issues with plant decor on the surface for the future…

AFA5815E-C87A-4762-8F3D-18841B2448A3.png.157cc197c4bba8819b7083b5300cdb2a.png

Craft them into Bush Hats, same prettiness but without the risks ! :tranquillity:

But frankly if that's not already the goal of the topic in a way, the mistake is on the design of the Brightshades spawning method. Is Klei really going to let all that pass knowing plants are a favorite of builders along side walls which can be victims of their presence as we get rid of them ? As I think I speak for a lot of long time players saying that building is the longest route of efforts in any of my worlds and... well I my bases weren't offered a drink before this update.

(and I'm not really considering that the general idea cannot be salvaged into something better, as plants can be detected as player owned or natural and there can be more consistant picking as for density of the plants, or just in general not make them a threat more than to the player itself... in less absurd amounts too!)

I think the simplest Solution should be being able to Wax berry Bushes or Crops- A Waxed Crop can not be eaten it would be purely for decorative purposes only, and once your berry bushes are Waxed they’re decorative only and no longer provide food.

This makes sense with the new Beta Mob as well, they infest crops/plants/bushes that are still “Alive” Waxing it would make it no longer Alive…

Or in Ark Survival Evolveds Case: A Wild Animal isn’t interested in eating the Taxidermy of an Animal, it will ignore it, but the actual Animal itself..? They’ll target as lunch.

This allows mega base builders to still use bushes as decoration, but at the cost of no longer being a food source option.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think the simplest Solution should be being able to Wax berry Bushes or Crops- A Waxed Crop can not be eaten it would be purely for decorative purposes only, and once your berry bushes are Waxed they’re decorative only and no longer provide food.

This makes sense with the new Beta Mob as well, they infest crops/plants/bushes that are still “Alive” Waxing it would make it no longer Alive…

Or in Ark Survival Evolveds Case: A Wild Animal isn’t interested in eating the Taxidermy of an Animal, it will ignore it, but the actual Animal itself..? They’ll target as lunch.

This allows mega base builders to still use bushes as decoration, but at the cost of no longer being a food source option.

I think it is just too expensive. Spending 1 wax on 1 bush? Hell no. I would love to see some sort of "lighting rod" against gestalts as people suggested (idea of rework to the night light, so it can be fuelled with pure horror to scare gestalts was pretty nice). Or maybe even "nightmare fertiliser" which can be crafted with bucket o poop and pure horror, and any fertilised plant can't be captured by plants as long as it is not replanted.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I like where your heads at. Maybe too expensive, but pretty smart

40 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

No, they don't care about sacrificial plants, they want to infect all the plants they can.

i mean, do they not infect the closest plant they can find from where the rift spawns? So wouldnt placing random grass tufts in biomes that are not in your megabase make the brightshades infect those tufts instead?

Am I missing something here? Coz I can't imagine they would not pass by naturally spawning grass/ twigs before they even reach your base.

1 hour ago, BB Marioni said:

i mean, do they not infect the closest plant they can find from where the rift spawns?

I don't 100% know the mechanics, but I've seen them go past plants near the rift.

The spoiler in this post explains it more and the op of the post would know more than me.

What I've seen from other players bases as well is that the brightshades don't care, they will infect what they want.

3 hours ago, BB Marioni said:

Am I missing something here? Coz I can't imagine they would not pass by naturally spawning grass/ twigs before they even reach your base.

They do not go for the closest thing nearby, no. They can and will pass stuff next to their spawn for further away plants.

Archived