[Game Update] - Whatta Blast 550759

• Developer

image.png

Hi friends,

Welcome to the Whatta Blast! update.

Notable additions for both base game and Spaced Out! Include lots of new meteor-shower play, a new way to receive cosmetic skins—aka blueprints—and a paleontology-themed story trait we think you'll really dig. (Couldn't resist.)

We've got a new ONI short out, too!

Meteors!

Meteor shower intensity can now be adjusted in the new game settings. We've also added a new Meteor Blaster building to blow incoming meteors to smithereens when they get within range. Aside from the obvious fun of shooting things down in a spray of sparkles, this keeps your colony's surface setup from being damaged. 

The projectiles for this building are produced at the Blastshot Maker, which can be operated by Duplicants with the new Pyrotechnics skill. 

Some Duplicants get extra hyped about meteor showers! These Duplicants possess the new Rock Fan trait, which increases all of their attributes by +3 when there's a meteor shower in progress. 

Timed Blueprint Drops!

This update introduces weekly blueprint drops that unlock at randomized time intervals during gameplay. We're starting with 3 individual items per week and you should get everything within 6 hours—these numbers will likely be adjusted in the future. You can check the drop counter on the Klei Rewards page to see how many you have left! Don't forget to redeem your Klei Rewards crate while you're there. 

To claim the Klei Rewards crate: Click on “Supply Closet” in the Main Menu, and hit the “Claim Blueprints'' button to navigate to the Klei Rewards webpage. Once you've redeemed your crate, you can view your collection of blueprints in your online inventory or in-game, in your Supply Closet. 

Fossils!

There's an unidentified new critter in the colony. The catch? It's been dead for a very, very long time! But with careful excavation and inspection of the fossils it left behind, your Duplicants can glean key info about where it came from...and what might be waiting for them out there in the galaxy. Plus, assembling the full skeleton for study unlocks a deep cache of resources. 

Summary 
New meteor shower-related buildings, traits and skills! Fresh new blueprints unlocked while you play! A fossil story trait and a new short! We've also squashed some bugs and fixed a few crashes.

If your mods are breaking or you need a little extra time before switching over, you can opt in to the temporary, unsupported Previous Update branch.

Let us know what you think. Bug reports can be submitted here and feedback right here. We read it all, and appreciate it more than you know. 

Full patch notes:

Spoiler

Features

• All versions
    • Added Ancient Specimen story trait.
    • Added playtime-based cosmetic skin drops.
    • Added new cosmetic skins.
    • Added Meteor Blaster building.
    • Added Blastshot Maker building.
    • Added Meteor Showers custom game settings.
    • Added Rock Fan trait.
    • Added Pyrotechnics skill which allows Blastshot Making.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • New meteors
      • Ice Meteor
      • Snow Meteor
      • Oxylite Meteor
      • Slime Meteor
      • Dust Fluff Meteor
      • Algae Meteor
      • Phosphoric Meteor
    • New meteor shower types found on certain asteroids (does not affect existing saves)
      • Ice Meteor Shower
      • Oxylite Meteor Shower
      • Uranium Meteor Shower
      • Slimy Meteor Shower
    • Meteor showers now can be seen on the Starmap traveling to a destination asteroid, and can be identified with a telescope.
    • Added a variety of meteor showers to different asteroids. These meteor showers are less intense and less frequent than those in the base game. 
      • Classic Style start asteroid - Ice, Copper, Oxylite
      • Classic Style nearby asteroid - Gold, Iron
      • Spaced Out! Style nearby world without a teleporter - Oxylite
      • Spaced Out! Style nearby world with a teleporter - Copper, Ice, Slimy
      • Regolith Asteroid - Regolith (existing), Ice, Iron
      • Radioactive Ocean - Uranium
      • Metallic Swampy - Slimy, Gold
      • Desolands - Ice
      • Frozen Forest - Oxylite

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Renamed Comets to Meteors.
    • Meteors can be destroyed using the sandbox Destroy tool.
    • Main menu and Supply Locker now show notifications when you have unclaimed Klei Rewards.
    • Supply Closet “Check Shipments” button renamed to "Claim Blueprints" and is now disabled if none are available.
    • Improved Load Game menu tooltips when trying to load base game saves with Spaced Out! DLC activated and vice versa. Added a mini ONI logo to base game saves.
    • Adjusted Change Recipe arrow toggle layout in fabricators' selected recipe UI.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Changed "Dupe-made Ballistics" to "Interplanetary Payloads" on Space Scanner object detection list, to avoid conflation with Blastshot.
    • Changed Trailblazer Lander and Rover's Lander to be able to land on 1 tile.
    • Revised Fullerene Meteor artwork.
    • Minor adjustments to Fullerene Meteor Shower.
    • Selecting an asteroid on the Starmap now lists potential types of meteor showers for that asteroid.

Fixes

• All versions
    • Fixed an issue where critters would sometimes freeze if a Duplicant tried to use their previous Grooming Station when there were no other eligible critters inside that room.
    • Cleared yellow alert on clothing assignment.
    • Fixed an issue where replacing backwall tiles would cause liquid/gas to leak in space.
    • Fixed Duplicants getting stuck operating an Oil Well if it gets disabled mid-task. 
    • Fixed Drywall edges not lining up visually when rotated. 
    • Meteors once again fall from above the buildable area of an asteroid.
    • Fixed a bug where Duplicants would be displayed in Atmo Suits after opening fabricator side screens.
    • Fixed crash that could occur when manually unequipping a suit while a Duplicant is already in the process of unequipping a suit at a suit checkpoint.
    • Fixed bounding box of Dream Journal being larger than the artwork.
    • Fixed a bug where some effects like the disinfect cloud were visible from another asteroid in the black void.
    • Fixed crash when loading unofficial translations using smart quotes or ellipses.
    • Fixed issue causing incorrect rendering at world boundary when running on OpenGL.
    • Fixed an issue allowing dead Duplicants to satisfy task skill requirements.
    • Fixed issue preventing the "Drag Straight" shortcut from properly limiting a tool's area of effect. This also fixed an edge case issue with the Disconnect tool.
    • Optimizations
      • Reduced memory usage when loading animations when the game starts.
      • Reduce memory usage of the animation data. 
      • Improved worldgen speed.
    • Modding:
      • Remove TagBits and its last remaining uses. 
      • Fixed an issue with WearableAccessorizer serialization causing some modded saves to crash on load even when mods are disabled.
      • Renamed worldgen template spawning rules "optional" flag to "ignoreIfMissingTag" which is only used in DistanceFromTag tagcommands. In order to not break existing worldgen mods, it is assumed that AtStart tags on worlds without a starting template can be skipped.
  • Base game only
    • Fixed Duplicants returning from a space mission not visually displaying their Atmo Suit.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Fixed a stutter that occurs in the starmap.
    • Fixed an issue where the unbuildable area above an asteroid was incorrect on some asteroids.
    • Fixed Duplicants exiting a Trailblazer Lander wearing a suit not displaying correctly.
    • Rockets will now be shown in the unbuildable zone while they are launching or landing, and will go out of the screen instead of being cut out by the red zone.
    • Fixed an issue preventing Duplicants spawned using the sandbox Spawn Tool from triggering the “visited” state on a world.
    • Fixed potential crash returning to the main menu when viewing the Starmap.
    • Fixed crash when trying to land a lander near the edge of the asteroid.

Changes since last public testing update:

Spoiler

All versions

• Updated Chinese and Russian localizations.
  • Added portal wave looping sound to gift drop screen

Spaced Out! only

• Added meteor shower sound on the starmap
  • Fixed a stutter that occurs in the starmap.
  • Fixed crash when trying to land a lander near the edge of the asteroid.
  • Fixed an issue where sometimes more than one meteor shower would spawn at the same time.
  • Fixed Landers being able to land overlapping buildings.

View full update

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 5

This update sounds super fun! Renewable fossil is really nice. I wish meteors that are destroyed with the meteor blaster would still drop their debris but a smaller amount. I think it would make the blastshots more worth it since they require petroleum and metal. Still, its an amazing update, keep it up devs!

I haven't been able to access my colony since the March 8th update. I was hoping it would be fixed with this new update but sadly it is not. I am crashing every time I load a save. I turned all mods off and still am experiencing the crash. It happens so fast I can't report it or copy it to a clipboard. This is my player log

Player.log

3 hours ago, Mardrake said:

Does the the new update require a new game to get all the features? Or will old saves get them?

New story requires a new game. Meteors will be enabled in new games, and old DLC saves remain no meteors.

Old saves will only get QoL and new buildings/skins.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GetaBlueberry said:

This update sounds super fun! Renewable fossil is really nice. I wish meteors that are destroyed with the meteor blaster would still drop their debris but a smaller amount. I think it would make the blastshots more worth it since they require petroleum and metal. Still, its an amazing update, keep it up devs!

just use the old methods to block meteors in general, and blaster for the rocket launch areas.

2 hours ago, Bob The Builder said:

just use the old methods to block meteors in general, and blaster for the rocket launch areas.

Old methods are not very fun. May be it’s just for me. But I ended up with exactly the same setup every vanilla playthrough. Not much could be improved. On the other hand it wasn’t very fun without meteors either: just spam solar panels. Now we have different meteors and new method. So I hope for more fun! =)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arijit said:

I saw in debug mode in Spaced out DLC that meteors are not damaging normal tiles. Is this expected behavior or a bug? Need to plan my base accordingly :D

Not every meteors has impact damage. Old ones has. Algae and radioactive has too. Slime and snow doesnt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, arijit said:

I saw in debug mode in Spaced out DLC that meteors are not damaging normal tiles. Is this expected behavior or a bug? Need to plan my base accordingly :D

Early asteroids should be safe from meteor damage - meteors that appear there should not damage your buildings or it would be impossible to play

• Like 2

Thanks again Klei for the fun new changes.

I managed to get Meteor Showers on an old save with some save editing and it actually works! The lengths we go to not miss the new fun with an ongoing a no-teleport flipped asteroid all achievement run.

It wasn't that bad to do either, which begs the question: why does Klei not make these changes backward compatible (e.g. make it something a player can toggle in the Optionswhich will in turn update their saves accordingly). Would love to learn the reason. Is it concerns about messing up player's saves in the process?

Don't do any of this, there's a mod lol: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2955350267

If anyone reading this is interested into how to do it, I'm thinking of making a post in the main forum in a few days with a pre-made script to help folks who are not familiar with coding. But the TLDR is 

0- Make a backup of your save!

1- Download https://github.com/RoboPhred/oni-save-parser, install Node/Typescript/etc so that you can uncompressed your saves, read them in plain/edit them or change them through code (requires some coding knowledge)

2- Create a new game with the exact settings of your current game (same cluster, same settings + the meteor settings you want)

3- Either manually through a text editor or through code, open both saves. Then change the Asteroid gameObject so that all asteroids have the same values in the behavior[2].templateData.m_seasonIds fields between the old and new save

4- Either manually through a text editor or through code change the gameData.customGameSettings array so that it's exactly the same as the new file, so it retains the meteor settings between saves

5- Recompress the save file, put it in the game. Click on the Planets on the Starmap and check the description, if some of them have the new meteors, celebrate! You should eventually see some asteroids pop-up in the map

6- Hope this doesn't break something else down the line

Edited by PedroS123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PedroS123 said:

If anyone reading this is interested into how to do it, I'm thinking of making a post in the main forum in a few days with a pre-made script to help folks who are not familiar with coding. But the TLDR is

... or use this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2955350267

(I didn't try it, but it looks to be good to enable meteors on your old save)

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:40 PM, PedroS123 said:

why does Klei not make these changes backward compatible (e.g. make it something a player can toggle in the Optionswhich will in turn update their saves accordingly). Would love to learn the reason. Is it concerns about messing up player's saves in the process?

I think you've got it right on the nose. i think the realistic answer is simply klei doesn't want absolutely any risk of jeopardizing the inevitably sensitive systems that X or Y colony may run on in the process of retrofitting changes. There was actually an update that came out a while ago that _was_ retrofitted, since it would have no true impact if the player did not interact with it (the update that added space asteroid fields to the map)

It'd be nice if with changes to worldgen/stuff like asteroids, we'd be given the option to take the chance of retrofitting, though.

• Like 3

even though there are more and more buildings that can't be remade, at least please make a way so that they can be moved.  no matter how expensive and difficult the method is but it is better than being destroyed and lost forever or being useless.  if possible please make features like cranes, trains, robots or whatever so we can move the Gravitas building

• Like 1