Previous update Steam branch access

• Developer

Hey friends, 

As you may already know if you read this post, we’ll be opening a temporary Previous Update branch each time we release a major update. 

This branch is designed to let you keep playing on the outdated version of ONI for a little while, which will allow us to continue improving the game while keeping disruptions to a minimum. 

The most recently updated version of ONI continues to be the best option, of course. But the Previous Update branch provides a temporary workaround for folks who need a transition period before they switch over (e.g. if recent fixes have broken your mods). 

Things to know: 

• Opting in to the Previous Update branch means opting out of all new features, fixes and content from the newest update.
  • This branch is unsupported: Please don’t report bugs/issues related to this branch.
  • If a mod developer has updated their mod to match the live branch (aka current update) and has not created an archived_versions folder, the mod will be broken in the Previous Update branch.
  • This branch is temporary. 

The Previous Update branch provides access to the version that precedes each current update—it’ll be replaced each time a new update is released. We recommend switching over to the live branch as soon as you’re able to. 

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

1. In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  2. Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  3. Right-click and select Properties.
  4. Go to the BETAS tab.
  5. In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_previous_update"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  6. In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  7. Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  8. Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

Here’s to a smoother update process! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Any chance you'll put back access to the old public_previous_version branch from before the Big Merge?  All subsequent versions have been basically un-playable for me, and at this point I suspect that it's not getting fixed.  :(  Nevertheless, my addiction continues.  

Edited by spiffyzha

• Developer

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing issues. We'd be curious to know if they persist in future releases.

As mentioned above we don't keep old versions permanently available. However, that particular pre Spaced Out! mergedown build is still available on the "public_pre_mergedown" branch on Steam.

You will need to enter the password: 

Spoiler

veryoldupdate

in the Steam betas menu to see that branch as an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Big Ups 1

12 hours ago, spiffyzha said:

All subsequent versions have been basically un-playable for me, and at this point I suspect that it's not getting fixed.

Out of curiosity - what issues are you observing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pether said:

Out of curiosity - what issues are you observing?

There's a problem with the gas coloration graphics after that update which makes it very hard to visually differentiate carbon dioxide vs oxygen.  There's a fix for this which puts the graphics back to normal, but if I do this, then the FPS drops.  A lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricKlei said:

@spiffyzha If you're referring to this OSX graphical bug you submitted, it should be fixed in the upcoming Fast Friends update without using the opengl launch flag, which could cause a slowdown on some computers.

No way!  :D  This is so great.  You've totally made my day here -- I'm so excited to try out all the fancy new features from the last several months. 

• Like 2