Amount of chests required to store items is too large

I am playing on console so I don't have access to mods. I have small base and 3/4 of my base objects are chests. 9 storage slots are really too small. 

I think we should get QoL update for mid-late game where we can build better chests, they can be more expensive but with more storage slots.

Storage bins etc. 

35 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

But it qualifies for what they wanted

it doesn't, they are actually less space efficient than regular chests. So if his storage area would be even larger than now (assuming chests are as close together as possible for this purpose) 

personally I don't really mind it the way it is, I don't make a storage area until pretty late in a run, if at all, and I'm at peace with having to make it big. I also play on console, but I wouldn't say no to more slots per chest.

I liked that one idea somebody had to have decorative structures like a pile of logs which change their appearance based on how many of the item are inside it, and it has a much higher capacity than a chest but can only hold that item.

When in a survival situation irl if you need more space to keep stuff, a good strategy is to use the underground to safekeep your most precious belongins. Since it would protect the stuff from wild animals and from the environment.

A type of rock based underground storage could be very efficient and interesting. Maybe using desert stones in the recipe, since it would be fitting for antlion powers. It should, imo, double the storage / ground space efficiency of regular chests, since it would be like using a chest underground and one on top of that at surface.

Something like this would be great for storage management qol, a  very needed buff for the usage of antlion drops and create a new milestone for players to strive towards.

3 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

Megabasers.

i do mega bases and i dont have a chest filled with rot, desert stones and other 3747491 chest just with trinkets that i wont ever use

we need more variety of chests not only skins for the same chest and i hope they add something similar to the ocean chests from SW

2 hours ago, SmasherX said:

When in a survival situation irl if you need more space to keep stuff, a good strategy is to use the underground to safekeep your most precious belongins. Since it would protect the stuff from wild animals and from the environment.

Ironically (is it? That word is a bastard and I never remember) in Don't Starve the underground is a more dangerous place to store things since earthquakes can destroy certain items on the floor.

It would hardly be a problem if stack size in chests was just increased overall it could easily double storage capacity.

There's also the idea of having the wardrobe be able to store equipment and adding a tool/weapon rack to help keep gear from flooding the ground since putting them in chests is ineffective.

I wish they make it so empty backpacks could be placed into inventories so I can move em easier or place my empty bags into chests for safe keeping.

17 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i do mega bases and i dont have a chest filled with rot, desert stones and other 3747491 chest just with trinkets that i wont ever use

we need more variety of chests not only skins for the same chest and i hope they add something similar to the ocean chests from SW

Just get super tackle boxes, they can store 15 stacks of rot in a single chest slot. You can store 5400 rot in a single scaled chest.

I personally do care a lot about the aesthetic of my bases in the long term and having hecking big room(s) with effortful decorations around and then tons of chests where the only variation you bring to them being skins is excruciating when you feel it could get so much better with some changes. Evolving to scaled chests only accentuates the problem as all their skins are using a similar color palet so this isn't doing great either and doesn't quite remove any amount of chest in your base depending of your preference for storing but just extend how much is to store before putting things in the trash-plant.

A solution would be to introduce more variety of containers instead of having that hundred of unique ressources and equipments all go in the same type of storage. Some to be better and focused around only one type of items, as @Cheggf mentioned. An example with a currently existing structure would be the Wardrobe to store equipments on top of what it is for currently, like how they did in Uncompromising Mode which is only so useful and gives meaning to the many skins this structure has when you only need one so far :

wardrobe.png.cee4fb181e5bb1b959e965f2600cb45e.png

There's more to be done of course, just overall MUCH better storages and not just focused ones could be introduced, there's no progression, just scaled ones, no alternatives or preference to have unlike other aspects of building or in general, would be sad if there was only one great armor. And finding ideas for useful storages can come to mind with a bit of time so I hope they do some of that. I've modded some that makes base building much more compact and I feel very happy with it now but OP has no access to mods so it's only dealing with what game's offers in term of storage solutions, it's an issue I still share when looking at the vanilla state of DST which is unlike anything where mods would usually enhance the experience, for storages I think it's a critical lack.

23 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

Scaled chest

Harder to make and takes more space as structure, not only harder way but also doesn't solve anything. 

I would gladly spend 5x logs for single chests if it meant it had 5x more slots if you get what I mean. 

This also would mean reduced lag so that's good.  

You'd need rocks, edible or flammable items stored to protect them from moles, penguls and random very funi outscreen summer fire. The rest can be on the ground but that would create massive lag. So storing most items isn't necessary. They're easier to see on the ground than in chest unless you mark them but it's extra effort. It's done to avoid lag and getting wood for chests is not really fun. Increasing amount of slots would decrease amount of structures reducing the lag and reduce the boring yet not exactly necessary part. 

Archived