Jump to content

The new werepig boss feels unnecessary and awkward.


Recommended Posts

I wonder why it's being added, we already have enough raidbosses on the surface already. If anything shouldn't it be found like on a branch of the Ruins? Perhaps like Maxwell used to experiment on a pig with dark magic for a long time, then sealed it off? I just find it odd that you find the boss randomly on the surface without really any reason for it to exist other than "Haha moar boss fights."

Yes, it's likely there will be lore reason for it to exist when the wilson refresh leaves beta, so it's just what I am feeling at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like it’s a fun fight and entirely optional so what’s the harm in it. Sure you could put it in the ruins or caves but then most people would just ignore it. At least being on the surface people would be more interesting in farming the drops. I think it’s a nice add, though the armor could use some kind of extra perk or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i do agree that it would feel better finding it in the ruins as an experiment instead of randomly in the overworld which is a bit out of place to just see some random big werepig guy in the meadows

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vinja said:

Sure you could put it in the ruins or caves but then most people would just ignore it.

I don't like that argument. It sounds like they shouldn't add anything to caves never at all because people would just ignore it.

Maybe the boss wouldn't be enough to make me get out of my way, but if they kept adding stuff like this to the caves, exploring beyond the straight line between the stairs and the ruins would be interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DeadWhereX said:

I don't like that argument. It sounds like they shouldn't add anything to caves never at all because people would just ignore it.

Maybe the boss wouldn't be enough to make me get out of my way, but if they kept adding stuff like this to the caves, exploring beyond the straight line between the stairs and the ruins would be interesting.

Hard agree on this. Caves are arguably just as neglected as oceans are, there's only 3 bosses in them espite their massive size, and one of them is so tedious people only do it once if at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Vinja said:

I feel like it’s a fun fight and entirely optional so what’s the harm in it. Sure you could put it in the ruins or caves but then most people would just ignore it. At least being on the surface people would be more interesting in farming the drops. I think it’s a nice add, though the armor could use some kind of extra perk or something.

With that logic, there's no point in caves existing. Developers need to add more content to the caves so people decide to visit more. 

This boss doesn't even fit on the surface, his theme and the pillars will just spawn somewhere where you don't want to see it while there is a lot of unused or half empty space in the caves that doesn't have much purpose like rocky plains or mushtree forest so it would never really spawn in front of someone's base.

The boss can spawn anywhere on the surface so there is not much you can do to prevent it except not killing him again so that he doesn't spawn somewhere where you don't want but if he is somewhere where you want to build and you kill him, there's a chance he will spawns in an area you don't want him either.

The issue with ocean is that it surrounds the land and it would take you so long to travel from one corner to another by boat but caves on the other hand are just lacking content, there is so much space that is left unused or populated with resources that players don't use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeadWhereX said:

I don't like that argument. It sounds like they shouldn't add anything to caves never at all because people would just ignore it.

Maybe the boss wouldn't be enough to make me get out of my way, but if they kept adding stuff like this to the caves, exploring beyond the straight line between the stairs and the ruins would be interesting.

Not really an argument, just pointing out a fact. The thing is people will go to the caves and engage with the content only if it’s worth it. This is why people really only go to the ruins and sometimes the lunar grotto/archives

You can put a new boss in the caves but with its current loot nobody would ever fight it or search for it. The loot has to be worth it. The loot as it is definitely makes it a surface worthy boss I think.

Tbh if they want caves to be more utilized they need a massive overhaul I think. The caves are huge, but they’re full of practically nothing. Yeah mushrooms, and yeah some rocks if you need it but seriously the caves struggle from a huge diversity problem imo. Not to mention the boss loot being so bad relative to the challenge, time, and resources required to kill them for the average player. That’s my opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do hope that it spawns on the overworld for now just for convenience and that it will be moved to the caves on release. It might be difficult to locate though considering it comes with like 30 possible respawn points and caves are super difficult to navigate sometimes, but some sort of "veins" of red on the ground and ruins turf where it appears might be enough.

That hope is pointless though, considering it's called "Daywalker". It was probably meant for the overworld.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

With that logic, there's no point in caves existing. Developers need to add more content to the caves so people decide to visit more. 

This boss doesn't even fit on the surface, his theme and the pillars will just spawn somewhere where you don't want to see it while there is a lot of unused or half empty space in the caves that doesn't have much purpose like rocky plains or mushtree forest so it would never really spawn in front of someone's base.

The boss can spawn anywhere on the surface so there is not much you can do to prevent it except not killing him again so that he doesn't spawn somewhere where you don't want but if he is somewhere where you want to build and you kill him, there's a chance he will spawns in an area you don't want him either.

The issue with ocean is that it surrounds the land and it would take you so long to travel from one corner to another by boat but caves on the other hand are just lacking content, there is so much space that is left unused or populated with resources that players don't use.

My man a werepig with meh loot that requires multiple fights over the span of 40-60 days to get a full set or two of said meh loot isn’t gonna get people engaged in the caves, it will only get the boss overlooked and forgotten about. 
 

caves need work from the ground up imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Vinja said:

You can put a new boss in the caves but with its current loot nobody would ever fight it or search for it. The loot has to be worth it. The loot as it is definitely makes it a surface worthy boss I think.

Loot should be buffed, at least the head slot needs to have an ability or something comparable to thulecite crown and that would give people the reason to look for him.

Also in the caves he can be locked to one biome or even on the way to the ruins so you wouldn't even need to look for him specifically if that is the primary concern.

11 minutes ago, Vinja said:

Tbh if they want caves to be more utilized they need a massive overhaul I think. The caves are huge, but they’re full of practically nothing. Yeah mushrooms, and yeah some rocks if you need it but seriously the caves struggle from a huge diversity problem imo. Not to mention the boss loot being so bad relative to the challenge, time, and resources required to kill them for the average player. That’s my opinion 

I completely agree with you here and I mentioned this before as caves are really barren and for them to be at least somewhat comparable to overworld klei would need to invest 70-80% of their yearly effort/roadmap to cave content.

7 minutes ago, Vinja said:

My man a werepig with meh loot that requires multiple fights over the span of 40-60 days to get a full set or two of said meh loot isn’t gonna get people engaged in the caves, it will only get the boss overlooked and forgotten about. 

This is still in beta and there is a possibility that it will change and also you only need to kill the boss once and you can duplicate it with green gems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 00petar00 said:

Loot should be buffed, at least the head slot needs to have an ability or something comparable to thulecite crown and that would give people the reason to look for him.

Also in the caves he can be locked to one biome or even on the way to the ruins so you wouldn't even need to look for him specifically if that is the primary concern.

I completely agree with you here and I mentioned this before as caves are really barren and for them to be at least somewhat comparable to overworld klei would need to invest 70-80% of their yearly effort/roadmap to cave content.

This is still in beta and there is a possibility that it will change and also you only need to kill the boss once and you can duplicate it with green gems.

I agree with loot needing buffed

Locking him to a biome near ruins would make finding him easier but really would do nothing to fill out the non ruin cave content which is the argument I see most people make about putting him in the caves.
 

I also don’t see people making multiple trips down to fight him still even if this were the case. Unless the loot gets some kind of major buff.

And there would literally be no point in duplicating it unless it’s better, not just as good, but actually better than the thulecite gear because duping thulecite can be used for a variety of things besides armor. Thulecite is much more versatile.

None of these arguments are enough to justify putting the content in the caves. I agree with what you said, the caves would need a massive investment before they start being interesting enough to actually make people want to go explore them beyond grabbing ruins loot.

1 hour ago, 00petar00 said:

With that logic, there's no point in caves existing. Developers need to add more content to the caves so people decide to visit more. 

This boss doesn't even fit on the surface, his theme and the pillars will just spawn somewhere where you don't want to see it while there is a lot of unused or half empty space in the caves that doesn't have much purpose like rocky plains or mushtree forest so it would never really spawn in front of someone's base.

The boss can spawn anywhere on the surface so there is not much you can do to prevent it except not killing him again so that he doesn't spawn somewhere where you don't want but if he is somewhere where you want to build and you kill him, there's a chance he will spawns in an area you don't want him either.

The issue with ocean is that it surrounds the land and it would take you so long to travel from one corner to another by boat but caves on the other hand are just lacking content, there is so much space that is left unused or populated with resources that players don't use.

Okay let’s say the boss gets put in the caves in some random non ruins spot. How many people would wander the mostly barren and boring caves to look for this boss? I’d wager not many. And the number would fall off much harder in the weeks after the update once the “newness” wears off. Especially with the mechanic of him spawning in new spots after 20 days. You think searching the boring barren caves while your food supply and sanity slowly wears out once was bad enough? Well now you get to do it all over again every time you wanna fight him. Doesn’t sound fun to me, good way to get the boss forgotten about imo.

Even if they locked his spawn to one area or a small handful, the loot would need a major buff to make looking for him all over the barren boring caves worth it, especially if you need to fight him multiple times or spend valuable green gems to get the full set.

I absolutely agree with you that caves are in a bad state. I mean nowhere is worth going beyond ruins or maybe archives/atrium if you’re doing bosses (which most people don’t do and is a whole problem on its own that needs its own solution)

I don’t think this boss should be blindly sacrificed in the name of more cave content when realistically it wouldn’t solve any of the root problems the caves have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Vinja said:

And there would literally be no point in duplicating it unless it’s better, not just as good, but actually better than the thulecite gear because duping thulecite can be used for a variety of things besides armor. Thulecite is much more versatile.

The armor is worth duplicating because it is 95% damage resistance while thulecite suit is 90%. It doesn't have the drawbacks of marble suit and nightmare armor having low durability.

I am kind of split on the decision whether body slot armor should have some sort of buff but at the very least the helm should get an effect to at least be worth using over thulecite crown or let players choose based on what the effect does.

 

The boss just doesn't fit the surface though and it will block the locations people want to build in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

The armor is worth duplicating because it is 95% damage resistance while thulecite suit is 90%. It doesn't have the drawbacks of marble suit and nightmare armor having low durability.

I am kind of split on the decision whether body slot armor should have some sort of buff but at the very least the helm should get an effect to at least be worth using over thulecite crown or let players choose based on what the effect does.

 

The boss just doesn't fit the surface though and it will block the locations people want to build in.

0.05% isnt worth when you can craft thulecite suits without duping green gems with decent size ruins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

The armor is worth duplicating because it is 95% damage resistance while thulecite suit is 90%. It doesn't have the drawbacks of marble suit and nightmare armor having low durability.

I am kind of split on the decision whether body slot armor should have some sort of buff but at the very least the helm should get an effect to at least be worth using over thulecite crown or let players choose based on what the effect does.

 

The boss just doesn't fit the surface though and it will block the locations people want to build in.

Items that are specifically used for armor with 5% more resistance or a worse thulecite crown isn’t worth duplicating more than thulecite that can be used for a variety of things, the best helmet in the game being one of them. Just not worth it unless the new armor gets another perk. 
 

Of course if you can kill FW and reset ruins for more green gems then sure it can be worth duplicating but at this point we’re talking about a very very small handful of players, which is not what big decisions should be made around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vinja said:

Items that are specifically used for armor with 5% more resistance or a worse thulecite crown isn’t worth duplicating more than thulecite that can be used for a variety of things, the best helmet in the game being one of them. Just not worth it unless the new armor gets another perk. 
 

Of course if you can kill FW and reset ruins for more green gems then sure it can be worth duplicating but at this point we’re talking about a very very small handful of players, which is not what big decisions should be made around.

if you kill FW you will swim in thulecite so duping the new materials makes less sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

The boss just doesn't fit the surface though and it will block the locations people want to build in.

Thinking about this, say someone has a giant megabase that extends to different biomes. Big yikes if it happens to spawn on top of a kitchen or chest zone lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Flarezen said:

Thinking about this, say someone has a giant megabase that extends to different biomes. Big yikes if it happens to spawn on top of a kitchen or chest zone lol

That's not possible. It will not spawn near structures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if you kill FW you will swim in thulecite so duping the new materials makes less sense

Yeah unless you specifically want the armor for it’s increased durability and resistance but in my opinion that alone doesn’t make it worth the headache. 
 

I mean it is in beta so it could change but as it is it’s not worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

0.05% isnt worth when you can craft thulecite suits without duping green gems with decent size ruins

its 5% not 0.05% and there is a big difference between 90% and 95% resistance especially for Wanda but even other characters will take much less damage. 

There is a lot of green gems that you can gather by clearing/resetting ruins, killing dragonfly on respawn and now with Wilson refresh you can just make a Varg farm and get as many green gems as you want.

The body armor has 1240? durabiltiy or somewhere around that number, night armor is 525 and marble armor slows you down.

Nightmare fuel is annoying to gather and I usually just use the shadow pieces boat cheese or shadow splumonkey farm and use the bananas to trade with Monkey Queen so that I can use the blueprints on cartographer's desk to turn them into papyrus. So there's not much difference between gathering nightmare fuel or using some green gems unless you are going to duplicate decorations for big base.

Just one dreadstone armor equals to around 2.6 night armor.

7 minutes ago, Flarezen said:

Thinking about this, say someone has a giant megabase that extends to different biomes. Big yikes if it happens to spawn on top of a kitchen or chest zone lol

 

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

That's not possible. It will not spawn near structures.

Even if that is the case, it can still spawn in areas where you may have wanted to build something in the future but you may not want to kill that boss yet you end up having to do exactly that just to move him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Even if that is the case, it can still spawn in areas where you may have wanted to build something in the future but you may not want to kill that boss yet you end up having to do exactly that just to move him.

 

I mean, bee queen can spawn where you wanna build, klaus sack can spawn where you wanna build, meteor shower can spawn where you wanna build, mactusks, moonstone altar, I mean there’s all sorts of things that could spawn where you wanna build you just either gotta deal with it accordingly or build somewhere else. At least this dude you can kill him and then place some walls around spots you wanna build at before 20 days is up so he won’t spawn there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vinja said:

I mean, bee queen can spawn where you wanna build, klaus sack can spawn where you wanna build, meteor shower can spawn where you wanna build, mactusks, moonstone altar, I mean there’s all sorts of things that could spawn where you wanna build you just either gotta deal with it accordingly or build somewhere else. At least this dude you can kill him and then place some walls around spots you wanna build at before 20 days is up so he won’t spawn there.

I don't like some of these mechanics either but that doesn't mean that if something in game is bad that it is reasonable to keep making it worse. 

The overworld just keeps getting cluttered with the things you mentioned yet caves remain empty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

I don't like some of these mechanics either but that doesn't mean that if something in game is bad that it is reasonable to keep making it worse. 

The overworld just keeps getting cluttered with the things you mentioned yet caves remain empty.

It’s not worse, you can move this dude and the reason he has so many spawns is as you build and expand his spawn pool will lower to places you don’t build. I think it’s done well all things considered.

And yeah the caves need some work for sure but putting this boss there will only make this boss forgotten and unused. The problem with the caves isn’t a lack of bosses, it’s a lack of pretty much everything except rocks and mushrooms lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...