fig need buff

to be honest, the fig needs buff

to start off with fig stuff trunk is only a marginal increase in healing from the regular trunk, and the trunk is something you go out of your way to get

figkabob is good enough

figatoni is good enough

then theres the figgy frogwich... what were they even thinking..

but finally tree jam is good for only making the  waterlog tree near ur base, its other uses are simply not worth it

maybe its about time this was buffed

I think tree jam is pretty cool. IIRC it lets Wormwood bloom, and it also seals boat holes completely, and you won't be bothered by wavy jones (if you haven't got anchors masts or steering wheels).

I feel like figgy frogwich makes sense being bad, because frogwich is already bad.

The problem could be that there aren't good crock pot fruit-related recipes, perhaps they could change that. And if they want to avoid buffing berry farms make the recipe require 1/1.5 fruit and buff the fig value to 1 instead of .5, so you wouldn't be able to use berries.

But figs are good by themselves. Cooked figs fill you for 18 points and they grow every 2 days and even in winter.

Would it be cool if they added/buffed them? Yeah probably, do they need it though? Not really

I still struggle to this day understanding the dish. It floods my brain with nightmarish visions, experiencing mental meltdowns just from a glance of this... thing.
Why? For what? What is this? The mystery will forever remain unsolved.
Someone at Klei HQ must've been eating figs one day, then they suddenly ate a bad one and said "You asked for it, you little piece of crap", resulting in implementation of this dish out of pure spite. 

Nk8EwXNEx1.png.680c3fd2de22b8f6409e14df8973929e.png

A year and a half later, and I'm still waiting for my Figgy Pudding. 

In all seriousness though, I feel like this is a problem that seeps into most of the ocean's content. So, so much food, and so little of it manages to keep up with much easier, cheaper food sources on land. Figs are just one of the easier examples to point towards. 

20 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

A year and a half later, and I'm still waiting for my Figgy Pudding. 

In all seriousness though, I feel like this is a problem that seeps into most of the ocean's content. So, so much food, and so little of it manages to keep up with much easier, cheaper food sources on land. Figs are just one of the easier examples to point towards. 

Barnacle recipes too to some extent

Specially because I always forget which one is which, and they are easily mistaken (due to the ingredients conflicting you may end up making surf and turf for example). Most of the time I'd prefer cooking pierogies or meatballs just because I know with certainty what the result will be...

53 minutes ago, Juanasdf said:

Barnacle recipes too to some extent

Specially because I always forget which one is which, and they are easily mistaken (due to the ingredients conflicting you may end up making surf and turf for example). Most of the time I'd prefer cooking pierogies or meatballs just because I know with certainty what the result will be...

I'd actually say that Barnacles are one of the few food sources that actually can compete with mainland food sources. Barnacle Linguini is a decent dish, being a cheap equivalent to Bacon and Eggs; albeit with a significantly faster spoilage rate. But unlike other ocean foods, Barnacles actually have a wholly unique niche. They have the unique property of being extremely easy to amass while also having the bare minimum value in both meat and fish. 

Fish sticks, Moqueca, Honey Nuggets, Pierogi, Bunny Stew, ect. It's admittedly not the strongest niche, but given that Barnacle farms are extremely easy to set up (Half the work's done for you once you find a colony, you just need to build a ton of boats between them all), Barnacles are certainly able to stand on their own two stalks if you're willing to put in the leg work. Honestly the biggest thing that's holding them back is that the rest of the rewards for the ocean are generally pretty bad, so if you're going out there JUST for barnacles, then you may aswell just get something else. 

34 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Why tho. Why does every single thing got to be good. Why can't figs be the emergency food you find on the ocean, just enough to keep you going, and then a filler once you get it in your base?

See, it doesn't. While balance should always be strived for, not everything needs to be equally as good in every situation.

The problem is that there really isn't anything good on the ocean. If you go to the ocean, you're either getting food; which is almost always worse and harder to get than what you can find on the mainland; or you're getting items that help you sail more. There are like, 4 things that someone who doesn't care for sailing will miss out on. 

And for food specifically, you could argue that every source of food on the ocean could serve as "emergency rations", and at some point you just need to stand back and admit that if a player needs that many "emergency" food sources, they probably have it coming. And as for why figs specifically, I'd say they probably need it the most.

As far as emergency rations go, Figs aren't as filling or healing as fish meat, aren't as mass harvestable as barnacles, and aren't as widespread as kelp. Plus, it already has 4 crock pot dishes which also go against idea of figs being "Emergency rations". Figgy Frogwiches and Fig-Stuffed Trunks are extremely out of the way dishes to make, with their secondary requirements being impossible to get at sea. Figatoni is slightly better, but a veggie requirement of 2x means that the only way to cook it out at sea is by fishing for Corn Cods. Leaving Fig Kebabs as the only fig dish that you can rationally make with the supplies at hand. 

Nah, figs are awesome. Figatoni is amazing food, figkababs are great for sanity at sea, fig-stuffed trunk is situational but I've definitely used it to squeeze some extra health out of a koalefant trunk a good few times, and tree jam is awesome for repairing boat leaks and growing palmcone trees.

Barnacles are really cool too even if they're exclusively food. Barnacle linguine is one of my favorite foods in the game, stuffed fish heads are AMAZING if you've got a friend around to help with fishing, and barnacle nigiri is a recipe I always choose over pierogies so that I don't have to sit there for what feels like an eternity waiting for my healing food. The quick spoilage times on barnacle recipes also make me feel like I'm getting good use out of an insulated pack, which is nice.

The ocean foods are amazing!! They absolutely stand up to food sources on land, and I wish people would push themselves out of their comfort zones a bit and use them more.

i like figs. Is a food source that you have arround your basd if you worked hard decorating/protecting your base. I love to go arround my base and pick some just so i dont open my bundle of food. Doesnt need to be top tier meta food

maybe the froggy recipe could have a buff but foggatoni are great, i used them many times agaist fw

Archived